PDA

View Full Version : P steering irregularities. Pls advise.

emw525E34
05-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Gents,

My 95 E34 touring has this annoying problem with the steering rack. When I move forward and turn either left or right, the steering wheel wil not self-centre, so I had to turn it back!. The steering itself has enough assistance in turning or parking situations but just would not self centre when I do a tight forward turn (either left or right!).

The strangest thing is that when I REVERSE left or right, it centres correctly with right speed and right force (in self-centering). So, what gives ?.
Helpful advise appreciated.
:(

632 Regal
05-08-2005, 08:13 PM
sounds like the steering box has issues, this is a typical symptom when the adjustment is over tightened

emw525E34
05-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Thanks, will try to loosen the steering box. I figured this might be the case. But how would I determine if it becomes too loose ?. Too much play ?. How much play should I expect ?. Less than at inch movement on the steering wheel ?

Another thing is my Touring had LAD (self-levelling suspension) removed. But it appears the PO had the Accumulator ends blocked off!. Should I just use a loop-around hose to close off the PS pump towards the rear end ?. I can see that the bombs are in place. But did not really trace the pressure lines. Nothing is leaking from the circuit as far as I can see.

emw525E34
05-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Well, I took a 17mm wrench with a very long extender arm and loosen the steering box nut. Then used a 4 or 5mm hex wrench to loosen the bolt 1/4 turn, then 1/2 turn, then full turn. Then two rounds turn!. Did not help with self centring that I wanted. It makes the steering looser so that was bad. So I returned it to original setting minus 1/8 turn.
There is a slight oil on the side of the steering box but no droplet on the garage floor for over a week.

ANyway, I think my steering Box may have had it. Taking it to independent this weekend to check this out and completely flush the circuit. Darn those Pentosin fluid are expensive!. Smells terrible.

infinity5
05-10-2005, 09:33 PM
You're on the right track with the LAD removal. The lines should be LOOPED. NOT plugged.

or this is what i read about 5minutes ago on this very forum. try fixing that problem before you repalce the box... but not returning to center is also usually a pretty good sign of box failure.

Bellicose Right Winger
05-11-2005, 05:17 AM
Since it returns-to-center properly in reverse, I'd check for a toe or other alignment problem.

Paul Shovestul

Gents,
........The strangest thing is that when I REVERSE left or right, it centres correctly with right speed and right force (in self-centering). So, what gives ?.
Helpful advise appreciated.
:(

emw525E34
05-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Hi Paul,

Thats what I initially thought. Then I realised that when reversing if the front wheels starts tp angle sideways as one turns, the natural tendency would be to straighten as the backwark motion helps. It a radical difference in the centering ability between forward turns and backwark turns!. Forward is like completely dead and reverse seem normally functional.

If it were the case that my steering box is bad, what can I do besides replacing it ?. I can rebuild or recondition the box ?. I am suprised that a 10 year car can have a faulty steering box!.

Oh, another iimportant observation: When I turn the steering full lock on the LEFT (anticlockwise) side, I heard buzzing sound from either the box or pump. Could not tell which part is making this sound. On RIGHT full lock, no such sounds ?. So whats this ?.

Advice appreciated.

infinity5
05-12-2005, 08:10 PM
well considering the slack and the leaks our boxes develope it doesn't surprise me that they'd go bad that soon. not returning to center isn't really that common either.

My steering buzzes at full lock as well, i think its the pump straining or something similar.

the boxes can be rebuilt, as there are rebuilt ones for sale, but i've never seen a kit. its likely just a bunch of seals and probably wouldn't help your issue.

the box is only 260$ rebuilt with a lifetime warrenty from.... oh i lost the link. i'll remmber sometime. I plan on replacing mine sometime here. getting the center link off is whats going to be hellll.

632 Regal
05-12-2005, 08:13 PM
hey! now that I re read this entire post, did you loop the blocked lines and then try it?

emw525E34
05-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Jeff,

Yeah, I will try that (loopback at the pump) first with the independent. I just wanted to "look ahead" in case, I needed the box replaced to plan that I can do the whole job in a day rather than having to go back. Been busy and sick lately, so not so mobile...

632 Regal
05-13-2005, 12:33 AM
I definetly believe with the lines blocked it will not work right. If they have been blocked for some time than it is possible that it wore the pump...but loop it before you dive in for a replacement.

Bellicose Right Winger
05-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I won't 100% rule out the steering box, but I have a BIG problem believing that the steering box is "smart enough" to fail to return-to-center when driving forward, but work properly in reverse. If there is something in steering box interfering with self-centering it seems to me it shouldn't matter what direction the car is moving.

What's the history of this problem? Did it come about overnight? Have you adjusted steering box, replaced shocks, thrust arms, tie-rod ends, idler arm, or lower control arms? Have other drivers hit curbs/potholes/vehicles? Have you checked the front end for play? I'd thoroughly check the front end before replacing steering box. I doubt rebuilding box is cost effective unless labor is free.

Excessive toe-in has cause similar issues for me. I'd use a tape measure to check toe-in.

PS noises at full lock are common. I believe it's caused by the PS pump bypassing fluid through its internal relief valve. But it's odd you don't hear the same noise in both directions.

Jeff's comments on LAD mod's need to be followed up on.

Paul Shovestul

Hi Paul,

Thats what I initially thought. Then I realised that when reversing if the front wheels starts tp angle sideways as one turns, the natural tendency would be to straighten as the backwark motion helps. It a radical difference in the centering ability between forward turns and backwark turns!. Forward is like completely dead and reverse seem normally functional.

If it were the case that my steering box is bad, what can I do besides replacing it ?. I can rebuild or recondition the box ?. I am suprised that a 10 year car can have a faulty steering box!.

Oh, another iimportant observation: When I turn the steering full lock on the LEFT (anticlockwise) side, I heard buzzing sound from either the box or pump. Could not tell which part is making this sound. On RIGHT full lock, no such sounds ?. So whats this ?.

Advice appreciated.