PDA

View Full Version : Almost fixed ...

shapetoshoot
05-08-2005, 05:45 PM
until the next thing.
94 530 v8

I bought this car 2 years ago as a reward for stopping smoking. I wanted a v8 nothing else. The car is fantastic , performance great and sounds even better. However even as a second car it has cost a fortune.
In the last 12 months:

2 sets of cats
Top and bottom control arms
Prop mounts
Engine Mounts
Front strut mounts
Rear strut mounts
Steering column bushes
Rear exhaust
Couple of services

You have to really like these cars don't you. Anyway I do and the car is now nearly perfect except about a month after having the front pads changed, the car has developed a rattle when applying light braking on rough roads. The local dealer says I need original pads and discs fitting , this is pretty costly.
Any other suggestions before I shell out?

Thanks

winfred
05-08-2005, 06:51 PM
you can usually save a ton of money by buying your parts from just about anybody other then the dealer, dealer mantance parts are hideously expensive, you can usually find brembo or balo brake rotors at half the price with the same quality

Elekta
05-08-2005, 07:36 PM
ooh, the rare blue....verah nahs

shapetoshoot
05-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Thanks Winfred, I think thats what I'll do. The dealer implied it was the aftermarket pads (textar if I remember) that caused the problem. It was the technician I spoke to and they didn,t charge for there time, so pretty honest.

What pads are recomended?

Whilst I'm posting , I hope to adjust the steering box myself is this pretty straight forward? any tips?

all help appreciated.

shapetoshoot
05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
ooh, the rare blue....verah nahs

Thanks, orient blue , grey leather, glove box full of bills, but you gotta spend it on something!!

winfred
05-08-2005, 08:56 PM
textar, pagid, ate, jurid are all oem type pads and the last three are oem supplyers

632 Regal
05-08-2005, 09:21 PM
I hope to adjust the steering box myself is this pretty straight forward? any tips?
I wouldnt say its Impossible but if I was you Id make sure everything else is tight before diving into this project.

winfred
05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
yea if done wrong it could kill the box, do the adjustment with the front end off the ground so you can easyly turn the wheel to check for tightness (you don't want any) some boxes the adjustment doesn't get rid of the slack because the bottom end of the box wears out and you need another box

I wouldnt say its Impossible but if I was you Id make sure everything else is tight before diving into this project.

632 Regal
05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
ummm...on the V8 dont you have to remove the engine and flip the car on its side to get to it? (something close to that I recall) anyone have a link to that writeup?

winfred
05-08-2005, 10:10 PM
you need to cut the car into 1/3's and slaughter a chicken while facing west

ummm...on the V8 dont you have to remove the engine and flip the car on its side to get to it? (something close to that I recall) anyone have a link to that writeup?

GaryE
05-09-2005, 09:49 AM
shapetoshoot, I see your from the UK also.
Check out the prices of http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ compared to dealer prices :)

If you do all the labour, you will find your saving quite a lot of £££. Especially with brake pad replacement. I got 2 rear solid discs & pads recently for little over £50 new.

Gary

shapetoshoot
05-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks all for your advice , I have prepared my toolkit(toffee hammer and double ended screwdriver) and the missus has waxed my overalls. I will set about this task tomorrow 6am prompt.
Your replies do perhaps explain why threats of ludicrous amounts of money have not yet tempted any repair shops including the dealer to do this job.

Thanks for the gsf thing , Iam a regular both at buying there stuff and taking it back when it doesn,t fit (anything related to mtech suspension is dealer only).

The repairs to this car stopped making practical sense and are now a habit I can,t stop like class a , or something.
Let the car flipping commence.