PDA

View Full Version : No heat reaching my back seat?

Bimminator
05-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Hi all, since I have spent very little if any time in the back seat of my 535i, as I'm always the pilot (of course) it has only recently come to my attention that the heater system is not blowing any hot or warm air to the rear compartment. Lots of air flows through the vents but it is cold. If I get plenty of heat up front, and ther is no problem with some sort of blockage in the vents to the rear, what would cause the heated air not to reach the ass end?
Kind of stumped on this one. Was told there must be a blockage, but like I said there is lots of air flow back there so I am very hesitant to start pulling the centre console out to check things out until research this issue a little further. Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks, Shawn

Garlic Breath
05-08-2005, 10:43 AM
So you're saying that you have no heat discharging out of the vents under the seats but you're getting heat in the front?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=844&stc=1

western99
05-08-2005, 11:14 AM
in the rear. It is intended for AC. The heated air is suppose to come out of the rear vents under the seats and are controlled from the front controls. My suggestion to you is to turn on the heat on full (both heat and speed) and put your hands under the rear of the seat as your driving. Feel the heat. Now keep the speed constant and put the heat to blue as cold as it can get. Again put your hand to the rear vent under the seat and check the difference in temp. I do this all the time to make sure that I have good air control in the back. IF you do not get any change in temp, then I would think that your heater valves are gone. Try banging on them if they are with a rubber mallet. This may help temporarily. If not, it is time to get some new heater valves located with the Aux water pump.

Brian

Bimminator
05-09-2005, 07:26 AM
Thanks Brian I wasn't aware that the centre consul vents were for air cond. only. I will have to check the rear floor vents again, but I don't think I was getting much heat through there either. Man I realyt have to trck down an owners manual, it seems some of the issues I have with the car could be resolved with info in the manual. I keep checking e-bay but I haven't seen one yet. I've met a couple of people here in Barrie that own e34's but they don't know anything about them (thats what their mechanics are for). One of the reasons I bought my 535i was because there is so much possibility to do some of my own work. Not quite as simple as my vovlo 740 was but not significantly harder either. Thanks again for the tip I'll let you know what I find.

JonE
05-09-2005, 09:54 AM
there's a manual somewhere on-line, maybe someone else will have the location.

Qsilver7
05-09-2005, 01:26 PM
...you can click on the images to read the page: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

Hey, it's free!!! :D

Bimminator
05-09-2005, 07:46 PM
...you can click on the images to read the page: http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

Hey, it's free!!! :D
Thanks for that link I sure needed it.

Bimminator
05-09-2005, 07:49 PM
in the rear. It is intended for AC. The heated air is suppose to come out of the rear vents under the seats and are controlled from the front controls. My suggestion to you is to turn on the heat on full (both heat and speed) and put your hands under the rear of the seat as your driving. Feel the heat. Now keep the speed constant and put the heat to blue as cold as it can get. Again put your hand to the rear vent under the seat and check the difference in temp. I do this all the time to make sure that I have good air control in the back. IF you do not get any change in temp, then I would think that your heater valves are gone. Try banging on them if they are with a rubber mallet. This may help temporarily. If not, it is time to get some new heater valves located with the Aux water pump.

Brian
... and it turns out I was getting pretty good amount of heat through the floor vents after all. thanks for the suugestions.