PDA

View Full Version : frackin car, story and questions

mercury187
05-07-2005, 10:29 AM
so yeah i got a 95 540i on tuesday, im drivin to my hometown yesterday and i make it about half hour and i start seeing this wierd crap on the dash and then the car dies in traffic and it wont start. So i hit the hazards and push my car off to the side of the highway. I also noticed the guy behind me is pulling over too, on the side of his suv it says AAA.
He gets out and starts helping me check things becuase i dont know crap about this guy just buying it a couple days ago. He takes out these super long jumper cables plugs 1 end into the front bumper of his AAA truck and then connects it to my charge terminal and jump started me so i could try to make it off the next exit. I got pretty close and he was following me so he could jump start me again. It died again so he jump started it again. This time he started looking at the fuses and noticed that 21 was blown. He looked at the fuse chart/paper thing and saw that 21 was for interior lights. He replaced it with a spare 7 fuse even though it had a blown 10 in it. I drove a little bit further and got off the highway and there was a shop right off the freeway and the AAA guy knew the old owner so I parked there.
I actually parked in front of one of the garage doors (they were all closed becuase the shop was closed) so i decided to move my car out of the way, but i couldnt start it again so he had to jump start me again.
After he left i called my g/f and her mom came and got me (an hour drive there, and an hour back).
While I was waiting I called my friend and he said I should check the fuses again. I opened the thing again and slowly read down the list of what each fuse is and I found Charging (or Charge or whatever) and it said 21 as well. This where I get confused, its for Charging AND Interior lights, one thing me and my friend noticed was that the lights on the roof up front by the windshield didnt work, so this must mean it was never charging either. While I was sitting there waiting to be picked up, I tried those lights and they now worked. So I'm wondering if the problem is the alternator has gone bad or if there is a fuse somewhere else I need to check.
My friend said something about being willing to go down there and check it out if i can get us a car and now I have my moms car for the next 8 hours so he'll probably go check it out. He also said his sister crashed her 89 525 (or 5something) and said I could have her alternator if it would work, does anyone know if it would? Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Kalevera
05-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Battery, voltage regulator, or some other alternator problem. FWIR, alternator's a pain in the ass to get to on an M60, but Bidoli will school you on that.

sorry to hear about the troubles....that's why these cars need to be checked out by someone *who knows them* prior to buying a used one.

best, whit

JAlfredPrufrock
05-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Allergy to paragraphs is really a sad condition. :(

632 Regal
05-07-2005, 02:04 PM
alternator eeek! looks like you get them out from the bottom from what it looks like.

doubt the 525 alternator will be the same.