PDA

View Full Version : Question on replacement shocks

kick7ca
05-06-2005, 10:17 AM
I read on this board you can save $$ by getting the boge replacement inserts instead of Bilstien Tourings.

At bma fronts are $109 each and rears are $97 each.
A set of 4 Bilstein Tourings is $269.

The Bilstiens are way cheaper. Am I missing something here? - like a cheaper source for boges?

thanks

Kalevera
05-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Bilstein Tourings are fine, from what I've heard, for the application. Is that price from that one eBay seller who continually offers them?

best, whit

kick7ca
05-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Bilstein Tourings are fine, from what I've heard, for the application. Is that price from that one eBay seller who continually offers them?

best, whit

yes the ebay dude. I don't think I find boge any cheaper than that unless someone can direct me.

Kalevera
05-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Actually, there are a few sellers on eBay that offer them in the range of ~ $70/piece...at least, they did when I was messing around with my suspension 3 to 6 months ago. I'd still go with the Bilsteins.

Best,whit

Tiger
05-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Bilstein Touring and Boge are based on same design... they are both twin-tubes design. Bilstein Touring is not the same as the famed monotube... which last forever. So you can't go wrong with the Bilstein Touring since it is the same principle as Boge.

pmlmotorsports
05-06-2005, 10:26 PM
I'd use the OE Boge. Bilstein has a very strict warranty policy, which basically is sending in the product for inspection. Obviously your car as to sit on a lift for "X" amount of days. Boge's warranty is just a matter of describing the failure, ie oil leak, noises from damper, etc.... fax in a copy of your receipt and a few days later, brand new replacements arrive at your door. Other reasons include: they WERE chosen by BMW as OE, they are the most comfortable of all the offerings, and they are the same company that makes the "preferred/recommended" lowering kit, which is consistantly rated#1 in Europe's automotive publishings. lastly, I belive te Tourings are an Asian product subbed-out by Bilstein........"not that there's anything wrong with that" - Jerry Seinfeld 2001 Copywrite

pmlmotorsports
05-06-2005, 10:41 PM
Bilstein Touring and Boge are based on same design... they are both twin-tubes design. Bilstein Touring is not the same as the famed monotube... which last forever. So you can't go wrong with the Bilstein Touring since it is the same principle as Boge.

Wow..........that's like saying a BIC and Calibri are both the same type of lighter because they utilize butane and a piezo spark. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME simply because they share a similar design theory. In fact, KYB makes both monotube and twin-tube designs, but nobody is suggesting them to anyone, at least I would hope not.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 10:58 PM
if you go to the boge site they reference a "KYB" part number(KYB 366005) which isnt boge. Boge is also a conglomerate (boge/sachs) that outsources from what I can tell. I cant find straight information on this...? Why I try to research stuff I dont need is beyond me.

pmlmotorsports
05-07-2005, 12:18 AM
if you go to the boge site they reference a "KYB" part number(KYB 366005) which isnt boge. Boge is also a conglomerate (boge/sachs) that outsources from what I can tell. I cant find straight information on this...? Why I try to research stuff I dont need is beyond me.

we all do the same insane research......it's called OCD. :p

Reuben Lim
05-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Don't know if this is a common experience, but when I moved to 17 " rims, the Boges were not lasting as long. All four leaking in less than a year. Shifted to the Billsteins a month ago, am hoping they would last longer. Ride has improved markedly.

Kalevera
05-07-2005, 02:23 AM
Were they old/original Boge Automatics? Lowering or going to a larger wheel accelerates suspension wear.

best, whit

Reuben Lim
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Afraid I didn't quite understand. Already replaced the originals but with Boges for the E34. Don't really know what kind of Boges there are for our cars, but presume I got the stock ones. Yes you are right, have been replacing suspension parts since I got the 17 "s, the last just last week were the big number 8 shaped thingies in the back, the ones with grease in the see-through plastic bushings? Sorry for late reply, btw, was out of town. Best!