PDA

View Full Version : Out Of Options:(

e34it
05-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Well gentleman/ladies, the sound in the M5 still hasnt been found, the engine was run without the tranny, and the sound is still there, my mechanic says he hears it coming from the ABS brake controller system in the engine comp, and it vibrates to the rear of the car, supposedly he thinks that is the source, sounds like ******** to me. I personally think the sound is coming from the motor somewhere, I'm asking for my car back today, i have three options, sell it and get what i can out of it, keep it and live with it and drive it until this sound/vibration destroys it, or go to the BMW dealer and let them have a crack at it, what would you all recommend? I really want to keep it, but i know i won't enjoy it with this problem, please give suggestions. Thanks!

Kalevera
05-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Is it a knock? maybe the motor needs a rebuild -- happens on the S38B36/38. I guess if it was a knock, it wouldn't vibrate throughout the car, but who knows. best, whit

e34it
05-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Its more of a grind or a whirring, metal noise that stays constant with RPMs, when off the throttle the noise is gone,

Interceptor
05-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Its more of a grind or a whirring, metal noise that stays constant with RPMs, when off the throttle the noise is gone,

You should take your car to someone who is familiar with bimmers and let him upen up the engine.

emw525E34
05-06-2005, 03:02 AM
Interceptor,

I see you are using Denso Irudium plugsin your M50 motor. Can you advise how you like it and what part numbers these plugs are ?. I wanted options from Bosch, about to try NGK but Denso seems a higher brand in the Jap supplier chain.
Thx.

Interceptor
05-06-2005, 04:51 AM
Interceptor,

I see you are using Denso Irudium plugsin your M50 motor. Can you advise how you like it and what part numbers these plugs are ?. I wanted options from Bosch, about to try NGK but Denso seems a higher brand in the Jap supplier chain.
Thx.
Denso is THE ultimate spark plug manufacturer in the world, not only in Japan. I like 'em very much - smoother idle and revving, a bit more high-end power and slightly lower fuel consumption. I don't know the exact P/N because I'm at work currently, but I'll post it once I get back home. But I must warn you - they're very expensive here, around $25 a piece! And you need six of them! :) Btw., I have non-VANOS M50.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 11:53 AM
did you remove the front belts to eliminate the power steering pump and pully noises? The steering pump is a simple hydraulic pump and if its bad will cause the sound that you described. SImple enough to do too.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 12:33 PM
and then look into the oil pump? A bad low end or bearings wont make a whirr sound.

Paul in NZ
05-06-2005, 05:47 PM
i think you have answere your own question

or go to the BMW dealer and let them have a crack at it,

I really want to keep it, but i know i won't enjoy it with this problem,

ask them just to look at it thought not to actually fix it.once they have given teir opinion go from there,but see if you can eliminate all the accessories first,ie water pump,alternator,ps pump,etc etcif you use a long scewdiriver as a stethescopee(hold the handle near your ear,you may be able to listen while you manipulate the throttle with your hand,be easier with a freind.Be careful around the fan...and check the fan and fan shroud too

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 07:25 PM
right, I think the whirring gives it away as a roller or ball bearing issue. if its the steering pump it might be an additional challange to isolate.
Umm...did you check the steering fluid level?

e34it
05-07-2005, 01:46 AM
Yes, i had a ps leak, had it fixed, its full, this is a different problem, could the old self leveling suspension system that was removed make any noise, it SEEMS like the noise travels inside metal lines under the car all the way to the rear of the car?????

632 Regal
05-07-2005, 10:01 AM
I do think you have stumbled onto something here!

e34it
05-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Be more specific, what do u know about this?

dmenheere
05-07-2005, 07:21 PM
How did you remove the self levelling? Did you just plug the lines coming off the pump? The lines need to feed back into the power steering tank or they will cause excessive pressure in the pump ... first thing I would do is pull the belt for the power steering pump and see if it makes any difference.

hth,

Dave Menheere, 91 M5 222,xxx+ miles

MarkD
05-07-2005, 08:05 PM
Well gentleman/ladies, the sound in the M5 still hasnt been found, the engine was run without the tranny, and the sound is still there, my mechanic says he hears it coming from the ABS brake controller system in the engine comp, and it vibrates to the rear of the car, supposedly he thinks that is the source, sounds like ******** to me. I personally think the sound is coming from the motor somewhere, I'm asking for my car back today, i have three options, sell it and get what i can out of it, keep it and live with it and drive it until this sound/vibration destroys it, or go to the BMW dealer and let them have a crack at it, what would you all recommend? I really want to keep it, but i know i won't enjoy it with this problem, please give suggestions. Thanks!

You should ask in the yahoogroups E34 M5 forum. Here is the website, http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwe34m5/ join and then post a message to the group.

MarkD

e34it
05-08-2005, 03:18 AM
I didnt remove it, that was way before i owned it, i have no idea how it was removed, no way to find out either, how big of a job was this?

dmenheere
05-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I didnt remove it, that was way before i owned it, i have no idea how it was removed, no way to find out either, how big of a job was this?

It is a fairly involved job getting all the required parts but it is mostly remove and replace. You should be able to follow the lines from the pump to see if there are any loops in the system ... you will have to have the car on a lift or jack stands so you can crawl underneath and trace the lines along the drivers side of the car. I looped mine in the engine compartment but others put a loop near the rear axle. If the lines are plugged it is supposed to limit the life of your pump.

When I bought my car the self leveling had been removed and replaced with bilstein shocks w/ RacingDynamics spring. All the components for the self leveling where still there so I removed the accumulators, brackets and lines all the way to the front ... much cleaner now.

good luck,

Dave Menheere

632 Regal
05-08-2005, 08:47 PM
id guess either the lines were plugged or they were looped at the rear and are vibrating against the frame or something.