PDA

View Full Version : oil pooling on top of my closed valves means

infinity5
05-05-2005, 09:24 PM
time for new valve stem seals? Which is what is being described here (though, on an m70) at:
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/ValveStemSealReplacement/ValveStemSealReplacement.htm

Are there any other seals that would let oil trickle down the valve stems?
And is this something of average difficulty to fix or am i talking some major work.

632 Regal
05-05-2005, 09:58 PM
thats valve seals bro... unless the guides are unusually worn a simple seal replacement is in order. Altho thats early for them to go, hmmm let me think some here.

niall
05-06-2005, 02:10 AM
yeah you guys seem to have it all figured out,

congrats on the 5 - 10 grand master.
you should get a medal :)

Interceptor
05-06-2005, 02:20 AM
yeah you guys seem to have it all figured out,

congrats on the 5 - 10 grand master.
you should get a medal :)

No one likes a sarcastic troll. If you don't want to post stuff related to bimmers, this is not the right place for you.

niall
05-06-2005, 04:53 AM
that wasnt sarcastic man,
whats up with you
i was saying congrats on 5000 posts.
give me a ****ing break over here

niall
05-06-2005, 05:01 AM
i cant belive the tone of some of these posts,
why do you guys give me this ****,

maybe my wording is bad, i was going to write the
same thing as 632regal but instead i just agreed
with him, and about the posts man i was just saying
that 5k posts is pretty ****ing good,

so get off your high horse and dont be so
quick to take a tone or an attitude with me

Interceptor
05-06-2005, 07:27 AM
i cant belive the tone of some of these posts,
why do you guys give me this ****,

maybe my wording is bad, i was going to write the
same thing as 632regal but instead i just agreed
with him, and about the posts man i was just saying
that 5k posts is pretty ****ing good,

so get off your high horse and dont be so
quick to take a tone or an attitude with me
Yeah, maybe your wording is bad, but the fact remains - more than a half of your posts is off-topic. People come here to discuss bimmers, and you rarely do that. It's OK to post something off-topic here'n'there, but doing it most of the time is making this forum cluttered with stuff most of us aren't interested in.

I apologize if misinterpreted your post.

niall
05-06-2005, 07:53 AM
yeah apology accepted but you say i rarely come here to talk bmws
that is 100% untrue, check all my posts and rethink what you just said

DanH
05-06-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the link, thats a good write-up. I was wondering what those thin plastic straw-like things were in my headgasket kit! Valve stem seal installation special tools...good now I'll know what to use them for, i figured they must've been in there for a reason.

Now, if I can just find some time to work on putting my head back together.

time for new valve stem seals? Which is what is being described here (though, on an m70) at:
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/sean750/ValveStemSealReplacement/ValveStemSealReplacement.htm

Are there any other seals that would let oil trickle down the valve stems?
And is this something of average difficulty to fix or am i talking some major work.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 11:35 AM
take pictures to post Dan! I want to see how bad the old seals look and if the guides are trashed.

infinity5
05-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Glad i could help you dan, and make sure you post pics ;)

But, back to me ;)

Anyone ever done this on an m60? I Assume the cam shafts will need to come out. Then will the hyduallic lifters just pop up and come out? then i suppose theres a few springs to remove and voia-la, valve stem seals.

Guess i'll go look in my bentlys and discover how difficult removing the cams will be.

p.s. Johan/sean's 7'er page is really good, they have some of the best write ups with more pictures than i've ever seen. make sure you check out their m70 rebuild, its amazing.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 12:24 PM
wow lots of cams, lots of chains, lots of fun. thats one project I dont think I would want to do.

DanH
05-06-2005, 12:52 PM
I've taken a few pics, but haven't gotten around to uploading them. (Hard to spend my little free time on uploading pics, instead of in the garage.) Got a few before and after valve cleaning ones. Don't know if I can get any worth looking at of the valve guides.

There just one problem with showing what the old seals looked like...I dont know if I have them anymore. My head was disassembled at a machine shop, so they may have disposed of them already. I'll have to search my bucket o'parts to see whats left.

take pictures to post Dan! I want to see how bad the old seals look and if the guides are trashed.

zygoteer
05-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Relax Niall ... u will get used to the snide comments from some 'old-timers' on here (they know who they are), I ignore the obviously beligerent negatives and only look for the constructive criticism, which hopefully turns out to be helpful.

632 Regal
05-06-2005, 05:23 PM
obviously beligerent.

:D