PDA

View Full Version : Which is cheaper, xenon or M steering wheel?

eggdog23
05-05-2005, 03:30 PM
I have been interested in getting a newer E39 wagon with a manual and sport package, but it seems like the newer (>2001) ones don't have the M-technic steering wheel and/or xenon headlights, both things I would like to get. So I have been thinking that if the new car didn't have one or the other, I would just have them installed new. Any ideas on cost or ease of one or the other?

Thanks

bfd
05-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I have been interested in getting a newer E39 wagon with a manual and sport package, but it seems like the newer (>2001) ones don't have the M-technic steering wheel and/or xenon headlights, both things I would like to get. So I have been thinking that if the new car didn't have one or the other, I would just have them installed new. Any ideas on cost or ease of one or the other?

Thanks

I would hold out until you found an E39 wagon with Xenon lights installed. From the factory, the cost for Xenon HID lights with auto self-leveling is something like $700 or $800, pretty much a bargain. If you were to install a set yourself, be prepared to spend in the $1200-1500 range if you want BMW OE; $400+ for aftermarket, if you can find it, WITHOUT the self-leveling feature.

Jon K
05-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I would hold out until you found an E39 wagon with Xenon lights installed. From the factory, the cost for Xenon HID lights with auto self-leveling is something like $700 or $800, pretty much a bargain. If you were to install a set yourself, be prepared to spend in the $1200-1500 range if you want BMW OE; $400+ for aftermarket, if you can find it, WITHOUT the self-leveling feature.

Xenon can be had for like $600 total... ZKW projectors and a Xtec kit. The M wheel is like $300 or so, but more importantly, you need a new airbag, which is like $400 alone...