PDA

View Full Version : Instrumentlight - Where did it go??

mop
05-05-2005, 02:08 PM
In my clusterhouse the backlight of the digital Kilometer/trip have gone away! I can still see the digits but with out the yellow backlight.

Is there a bulb there or do I need to find a new cluster??

632 Regal
05-05-2005, 02:20 PM
the bulbs are replacable, do a little research on how to remove the cluster.

I dont have a link here at work for you.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY!

replace all bulbs when in there.

jv9999
05-05-2005, 09:38 PM
I just did this in my '95. Two screws at the top of the cluster, but it won't clear the steering wheel (even with the telescoping wheel, at least not mine). Most say to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, and loosen the wheel nut. I chose to drop the column instead. I think it's easier and faster (two bolts). You'll need a black bulb from your BMW dealer.

Kalevera
05-05-2005, 10:00 PM
In order to drop the column, most of the lower trim has to come off, which is a pain. Additionally, there's the risk of a blown airbag. You want to disconnect the battery regardless of how you get to the dash module, even a few minutes before the cluster's disconnected from the harnesses: the coding chip can get zapped by the voltage changes.

best, whit

peks
05-06-2005, 12:08 AM
aagh!! DISCONNECT THE BATTERY before you do anything!

I just did this in my '95. Two screws at the top of the cluster, but it won't clear the steering wheel (even with the telescoping wheel, at least not mine). Most say to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, and loosen the wheel nut. I chose to drop the column instead. I think it's easier and faster (two bolts). You'll need a black bulb from your BMW dealer.

mop
05-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys.. Before I even got to look at it all my interior (Heatcontrol etc) and cluster light are missing. Could it be the dimmercontrol that is broken?
I have looked at fuses etc and nothing wrong there..

ChefJRD
05-14-2005, 02:51 PM
I had the same problem in my '95 525i, you'll need to take the instrument cluster out and replace the bulbs. Getting the cluster out is a bit tricky, I ended up scratching my mine before I figured it out.

After removing the two screws at the top of the cluster, pull it forward and detach the connectors in back (AFTER DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY). The tricky part is getting the cluster out from behind the steering wheel. To do this, I kept the ignition turned forward one or two clicks so that the wheel would turn. You'll have to maneuver the cluster just right and turn the wheel while pulling it out the side. It might take a bit, but you'll figure it out.

Replace all the bulbs while you have it out, you don't want to have to go and do this again in a few months!