PDA

View Full Version : Help, re-setting service indicator

Rich 525i
05-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi, this is my first post so sorry if its not very clear.

I've had my 93 525i sport for a few months. It needed a stage II service so I had it done at the local garage but I need to re-set the onboard computer, it still comes up with the orange and red service light when I turn it on.

It also sometimes comes up with tail light, number plate light, brake pads randomly but they are all working fine.

Can you tell me how to do it? I have heard it is relitively easy.

Rich

ukm5
05-05-2005, 09:29 AM
this link will tell you how to reset properly
http://www.homeofsbc.com/Hints/Reset_The_SIL/reset_the_sil.html

BigKriss
05-05-2005, 09:37 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=9657&highlight=reset+lights

JonE
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I think it's normal for the light bars to be on briefly at start-up after a reset. Then, over time less and less bars show up at start-up until "service" appears. Maybe I'm wrong on this, I think it's different between my E30 and the E34?

632 Regal
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
It also sometimes comes up with tail light, number plate light, brake pads randomly but they are all working fine.
Gremlins?

ck1995
05-05-2005, 10:42 PM
It is easy and only costs a couple $ for the parts. Go to www.unofficialbmw.com/frame_e30.html and you will see the instructions and needed parts which you can get at Radio Shack or any store that handles electrical parts.

danzee
05-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Your intermittent warnings may be related, but there is a good chance that they have different causes.
Tail and License Plate light warnings - Sometimes the fault circuitry has trouble distinguishing good bulbs from bad, even new ones. Some brands of bulbs appear to have resistances closer to the threshold than others. Wagner bulbs have worked best in my BMWs.
Brake Sensor - The sensor is designed to trip with plenty of "meat" still on the pads, so it may simply be the normal beginning of sensor wear. I customarily expereince intermittent brake pad lights when the sensor wire has just barely started wearing through. The rotor then makes contact with the wire on and off. On my E30s this is accompanied by static noise in the AM radio. I don't hear that noise on my 1995 E34, but the intermittent light has been there.
Hope this is helpful.

Hi, this is my first post so sorry if its not very clear.

I've had my 93 525i sport for a few months. It needed a stage II service so I had it done at the local garage but I need to re-set the onboard computer, it still comes up with the orange and red service light when I turn it on.

Can you tell me how to do it? I have heard it is relitively easy.

Rich

Mitch90535im
05-14-2005, 09:15 AM
I think it's normal for the light bars to be on briefly at start-up after a reset. Then, over time less and less bars show up at start-up until "service" appears. Maybe I'm wrong on this, I think it's different between my E30 and the E34?

Not sure if it applies to all e30's but my '88 Cabrio had a battery on the curcuit board behind the instrument cluster that once it dies and no longer recharges, the service lights come back on prematurely. It's not too bad to replace if you can solder.

theirongiant
05-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm reviving this very old thread because I'm having trouble resetting the Service Indicator on my 1993 E34.

There is a tutorial posted in this forum which recommends cutting a length of 12-gauge wire, with no inline fuse, and shorting pins 7 and 19 on the diagnostic port. Then it said to turn the ignition key to position 2 (run) and wait about 12-15 seconds for the green lights to count back up.

I inserted one end of the wire into socket 7, and the other into socket 19--these were clearly labeled on the diagnostic port. When I turned the key to position 2, the word INSPECTION remained on, as well as the yellow indicator. I watched for about 30 seconds, but didn't see any of the green lights reappear. I've also tried this with a paperclip and with the leads on my multimeter.

Did I do something wrong? Could it be possible that my pin 19 (ground) is bad, and that I have to ground elsewhere? I've read that the strut tower nuts are a good place to ground.

Have I missed anything in the setup?

Thanks in advance.

joshua43214
05-02-2006, 09:07 PM
You are attemptimg to reset the oil service indicator when the inspection indicator is active. You must reset the inspection indicator. There maybe a way to hot wire it, I always use a reset tool.

henry161
05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Alternatively, type in bmw reset tool on fleabay and take your pick - they are dirt cheap.

theirongiant
05-02-2006, 09:46 PM
I essentially followed these instructions:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

I tried it with speaker wire, a paper clip, and multimeter leads. Nothing. Please note that the "time" inspection indicator is not lit; my car is merely telling me that I needed to do an Inspection Service. It has just over 200k miles now.

Some reports say that the service lights won't reset if the battery is dead. Furthermore, in case of a dead battery it has been said that the fuel gauge and tach would no longer work reliably.

My battery is probably not dead, for these three reasons:
*The Service Light has been counting down steadily for 6 months
*The tach is working
*The fuel gauge and range calculator are also operational.

Bill R.
05-03-2006, 06:24 AM
leads, wait the time interval , disconnect the leads and put the cap back on the connector, then turn key off, turn key back on and check to see if the lights have reset.

I essentially followed these instructions:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

I tried it with speaker wire, a paper clip, and multimeter leads. Nothing. Please note that the "time" inspection indicator is not lit; my car is merely telling me that I needed to do an Inspection Service. It has just over 200k miles now.

Some reports say that the service lights won't reset if the battery is dead. Furthermore, in case of a dead battery it has been said that the fuel gauge and tach would no longer work reliably.

My battery is probably not dead, for these three reasons:
*The Service Light has been counting down steadily for 6 months
*The tach is working
*The fuel gauge and range calculator are also operational.

632 Regal
05-03-2006, 10:18 AM
thats exactly how mine worked.

leads, wait the time interval , disconnect the leads and put the cap back on the connector, then turn key off, turn key back on and check to see if the lights have reset.

theirongiant
05-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks, I will give that a try.

edit: hooray! That did the trick.

1993:
- Open hood, remove diagnostic port cover
- Insert ignition key, turn to position 2
- Insert heavy-gauge bare wire into pins 7 and 19, making contact
- Wait 15 seconds
- Remove wire
- Verify that 5 green SIL lights are now on
- Do the happy dance because you just saved money!
- Turn key off.
- Replace diagnostic port cover, close hood.

Ross
05-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Ihave always used a test light between pin 7 and ground. Sometimes it takes more than 1 try though.

zhandax
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
On a 540i that is the trick; short it with the ignition hot. Worked first time. Just for quick reference, pins 7 and 19 are 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock from the passenger seat. (if, like me, you needed a magnifying glass to see the numbers)

TheEndIsNear
08-28-2006, 11:10 AM
i just shorted pins 7 and 19 with the ignition off turned the ignition to the run position for 10 sec removed the key removed the wire and fired her up she was good to go after that...

Ross
08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Any garage that can't reset the service light shouldn't be working on your car.
Find someone familiar with your car, meanwhile ground through a test lamp terminal 7 in the diagnostic port.