PDA

View Full Version : Gas Brand Issue

saj3n
05-05-2005, 07:10 AM
I wanted to know if anyone has had any issues using when using different gas brands. I have a 89 525i that ran better when using Shell or Chevron gas, opposed to other brands. My 95 530i ran great, started fine.....until I filled up the tank with Sunoco gas, a huge company over here on the northeast. Eventhough I used the highest octane, 94 I believe, after sitting the night when I started the next morning, seemingly gasping for air, the engine cut off. I had to start again and give the gas pedal a little shove in order for the engine to catch its breath. Any suggestions on a gas brand to use?

Hallmark
05-05-2005, 08:51 AM
The performance and MPG difference is actually enough to offset the few pennies more that Shell gas costs. Another good brand (oddly enough) is Racetrack, but I think they're mostly in the south.

Exxon hasn't been as good in my car.

I've filled up with Fina and had hard starts and poor MPG.

saj3n
05-05-2005, 08:56 AM
The performance and MPG difference is actually enough to offset the few pennies more that Shell gas costs. Another good brand (oddly enough) is Racetrack, but I think they're mostly in the south.

Exxon hasn't been as good in my car.

I've filled up with Fina and had hard starts and poor MPG.

I knew it! Shell it is... I don't mind paying a bit extra for the good stuff either. Whatever it takes to make my car happy! I have finally dropped down to 40miles left with the tank of Sunoco that I have, so a full tank of Shell should do my car quite nicely.

PhilipJCaputo
05-05-2005, 09:07 AM
I don't fill up at a shell... but if there was one near by I would...

I did notice a difference in my old 92 honda accord when filling up with shell, even though it was the cheap stuff, the car seemed to get farther on a tank, and just all around ran better.

granit_silber
05-05-2005, 09:09 AM
I knew it! Shell it is... I don't mind paying a bit extra for the good stuff either. Whatever it takes to make my car happy! I have finally dropped down to 40miles left with the tank of Sunoco that I have, so a full tank of Shell should do my car quite nicely.

Sometime cheapies (Sunoco, etc..) buy the best deal they can find and that means a sometime watery mix. However, I buy Sam's Club gas weekly and don't don't have any problems or experience any huge change when switching over to other brands (Shell V-power, BP, etc...). Try two or three consecutive tankfuls of gas with a bottle of Red Line S1 fuel system cleaner. It safe for continual use and recommended by BMW. approx $5-6 a bottle.

-ashley

epj3
05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/fuel_economy_emissions/emissions/detergent_092704.html
and
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Good enough information for me!! I always use shell

saj3n
05-05-2005, 10:10 AM
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/fuel_economy_emissions/emissions/detergent_092704.html
and
http://www.toptiergas.com/

Good enough information for me!! I always use shell

Great info! I must pass this along! Thanks!

MBXB
05-05-2005, 10:49 AM
I get the best results from Shell, BP or Sam's 93. Everything else in the Tampa Bay area makes the car run like crap.

Gene in NC
05-05-2005, 09:13 PM
'89 525a ran on Texaco for several years. Finally, stumbling, usually on acceleration after overrun, was so bad I switched to Shell. Problem cleared up. Back to Texaco for "scientific test" and problem came back worse than ever. Shell, nor Amoco hitest, couldn't restore clean operation although somewhat better. Next 18 months, lots of diagnosis, trial and error and $ cleared up problem. Excellent results from Conoco.

For your trucks sake, BP may be using Amoco hitest, but Amoco routinely bot mid and regular from any generic supplier. Amoco hitest reportedly had excellent additives as does Shell in all grades.

saj3n
05-06-2005, 06:49 AM
'89 525a ran on Texaco for several years. Finally, stumbling, usually on acceleration after overrun, was so bad I switched to Shell. Problem cleared up. Back to Texaco for "scientific test" and problem came back worse than ever. Shell, nor Amoco hitest, couldn't restore clean operation although somewhat better. Next 18 months, lots of diagnosis, trial and error and $ cleared up problem. Excellent results from Conoco.

For your trucks sake, BP may be using Amoco hitest, but Amoco routinely bot mid and regular from any generic supplier. Amoco hitest reportedly had excellent additives as does Shell in all grades.

Yesterday after running the full tank of Sunoco to within 20miles left, I put about a half a tank of BP in, highest grade of course. And what a difference! After running the engine for about 5 minutes, I noticed a smoother idle, quicker acceleration, and faster response.... I am so glad that I switched!

jv9999
05-07-2005, 10:33 AM
In the northeast, it all comes up the same pipe from TX...

Qube
05-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Ontario, Canada.

Used Shell before and it's garbage. Esso is worse. I found that Sunoco runs best. Go figure.