PDA

View Full Version : 1987 635CSI Or 1994 525i

bobbyboy987
05-04-2005, 05:49 PM
i have never owned a BMW before so i dont know what to expect

the 635CSI has 173000kms and looks like its in good condition

the 525i has 233000kms and is in very good condition, plus it was lady driven (this can be either good or bad lol)

both are about the same price

the 6 is such a sexy car but its kind of an old car
i will be driving this car for about 5 years
and then i will be outta university and will probably get a new car

epj3
05-04-2005, 05:53 PM
635 will be a bit quicker, it's a real classic, and it's a great car. I'd personally go for the 635...love the m30!! Repairs will be the same on both cars.

Kalevera
05-04-2005, 06:51 PM
It all depends on what you want. Personally, I like the rarity of the E24 (and the CSI, nonetheless!), so I'd probably be picking that one up. But the 525 is no doubt a good machine.

If you prefer both cars the same (ie - styling), I'd make the decision based on what kinds of service records are available.

best, whit

Scott C
05-04-2005, 07:45 PM
i have never owned a BMW before so i dont know what to expect

the 635CSI has 173000kms and looks like its in good condition

the 525i has 233000kms and is in very good condition, plus it was lady driven (this can be either good or bad lol)

both are about the same price

the 6 is such a sexy car but its kind of an old car
i will be driving this car for about 5 years
and then i will be outta university and will probably get a new car

Hopefully you have had a car to "cut" your teeth on prior to the BMW?
You certainly must expect this to be somewhat costly to maintain vs Honda/Rice rocket :)

If you have the time to work on the car, are mech/elect inclined and like the challenge as well as the way the BMW drives, you are making a good choice.

Scott

bobbyboy987
05-04-2005, 08:00 PM
ummm so are u saying that BMWs require alot of maintenance?
how much are u talking about
just a little tweaking a months or is it like constant changing stuff?

kyleN20
05-04-2005, 08:13 PM
i havent had to anything on my car, cept a water pump, that wasent even broken, i would not say there much to do at all, get the 635, the m30 engine is damn near indrustial grade

Derek A.
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
If this is your first BMW - spend the $100 and have the car looked at by someone that knows what they are doing. These cars can be a handful - once you get them sorted out - you need to stay on top of it.

dave b
05-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Get them both!

Would still be about 1/4 the cost of a new car.

Kalevera
05-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I've spent ~ $6000 USD on mine since I bought it in late Oct 2004.

Granted, it sat in a field for 2 years. Here's a list of what I've done:

November/December 2004:

- front control arms
- front thrust arms w/750 bushings
- front strut housings/abs sensors
- front sway bar links
- bavarian autosport springs
- center link
- tie rod ends
- two front tires - maxxis 225/60/15
- alignment
- all V belts
- battery
- rear pitman arms/dog bone links

($900+)

January 2005:

- ZF remanufactured 4hp-22 installed by Brett Anderson
- windshield washer jets
- coolant return line
- Driver's and Trunk Actuators
- Driver's Seat Switch

($2500+)

February 2005:

- coolant hoses, thermostat and BMW cool blue
- aux water pump
- front brakes, reman'd pass side front caliper
- rear brakes
- spark plugs
- Sachs kit install (springs, struts)
- differential speed sensor, Redline 75w90 w/LSD
- all eccentrics, bolts/washers
- Passengers, fuel lock actuators
- Fuel filter and fuel lines
- accelerator pedal bushings
- valve cover gasket
- radiator temperature switch

($1100+)

March 2005:

- Autodimming rearview mirror
- glove box unstuck/cleaned
- reglued door panels and additional soundproofing
- BMW Style 5's
- Alignment
- FPR lines

($900+)

April 2005:

- Leather seats restored (front and rear) with Leatherique
- ZF remanufactured 4hp-22 replaced under warranty by Hendrick Motorsport (Hickory, NC)
- M5 Front & Rear Swaybars
- 3 door seals
- Glove box latch
- Driver's seat recline motor
- Various interior plastic parts replaced: front DS kick panel, dome light
- Pass door panel

($500)

May 2005:

- M5 Skirts
- Rubber exhaust hangers replaced

($300)

...plus other things that slip my mind. These are not inexpensive cars, although they are reliable.

EDIT: and, with the exception of the trans, I did all of the work (and I would've done the trans myself if I wasn't in a compromised position when the work had to be done). It would've cost me 2x to get it all done otherwise.

best, whit

Scott C
05-04-2005, 08:32 PM

The front end (equiv of balljoints) is a weak design, virtually all parts are more expensive than domestic or japanese imports, the electrical systems are likely to be a little troublesome. I do NOT recommend an older BMW as a college car unless you have the resources (time and $) and facilities to maintain it. That being said, these are truly unique automobiles and reward the driver well. The engine is very reliable and will last a long time. The brakes are excellent. The comfort is very nice. But - the auto tranny will likely fail after 120K miles (if it has not been rebuilt) and will cost between $500 to $4K depending upon your luck.

I will send you my costs of repair if you so desire, but the bottom line on a certified BMW 1995 525i that I bought in 2001 with 60K miles (Tranny had already been rebuilt) at $16.5K from a dealer has cost $4100 in parts and labor (although 90% is my labor at 0$) and I have a $600 dollar A/C job in progress.

My humble recommendation is to get a car that allows you to focus on college first, then when you graduate, you can have fun ;)

Good luck,
Scott

Scott

Kalevera
05-04-2005, 08:44 PM
My humble recommendation is to get a car that allows you to focus on college first, then when you graduate, you can have fun ;)

Haha - I completely agree. I graduated and decided I needed something else to worry about and spend money on, so I bought Fritz :)

EDIT: One other thing -- I wouldn't say that the front end is a "weak" design. I'd say it's purposeful for the kind of ride quality that BMW hoped to achieve with the E34. Better to sacrifice a few bushings every ~120k than the rest of the suspended parts. Show me a domestic at 120k that needs less :)

best, whit

Scott C
05-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Haha - I completely agree. I graduated and decided I needed something else to worry about and spend money on, so I bought Fritz :)

EDIT: One other thing -- I wouldn't say that the front end is a "weak" design. I'd say it's purposeful for the kind of ride quality that BMW hoped to achieve with the E34. Better to sacrifice a few bushings every ~120k than the rest of the suspended parts. Show me a domestic at 120k that needs less :)

best, whit

:) My son's 1995 Dodge neon (110K) has balljoints that are 2x the size of the 525i and are solid like the day they were installed - I know, comparing a BMW to a Dodge.... ;)

Scott

niall
05-05-2005, 02:07 AM
haha

my vote is with the six all day long

JAlfredPrufrock
05-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Get the sixer.

John in CT
05-05-2005, 03:30 AM
Buy the 525 and you won't regret it. The 635 was limited production compared to the E34, most body and interior parts will not be availalble, you can buy everything for the E34 on-line. Try to find a muffler for a six series. They aren't exactly cheap for the E34 but you can find them easily. The electrics on the 635 are getting old and weren't the greatest when the cars were new. A late E34 is relatively young and one doesn't hear about electrical troubles. Performance? Pretty close, the engines got more powerful as time went on. Corrosion? Not an issue w/ E34, big issue w/ 6 series cars. There's tons of e34 cars in junkyards for spares, not true with 6 series.

As far as BMW verses something else, say a Honda, well all older cars are going to need something sometime, the E34 is IMHO one of the best designed cars out there and unless you are paying for the previous owner's deferred maintenance you should be Ok. Spend a hundred bucks and get it checked out first, not after it's yours...

Good luck

John
1995 525im

Paul in NZ
05-05-2005, 04:44 AM
i agree with the others,but i will qualify it more..the six is probably the more desireable car but even in america a six or even a bmw is not for a college student....maybe an e34 if you have the resources(not nec just $) to look after it,and DEFINETLY get it checked by someone who knows what they are looking at..once you have graduated THEN buy a six........

granit_silber
05-05-2005, 09:29 AM
There both great cars!!!

They can be expensive to maintain if you let someone else do all the labor. If you're interested in learning how to maintain your car, you'd be hard pressed to find a make that's easier to work on (except for something lieka '66 charger).

The automatics last a long time. Someone in this thread said that you can expect the auto tranny to fail at 120K, B.S. Mine's got 164K on it right now a shifts better than many of the other auto I owned with half the mileage. Whit bought his with 200K+ on it and it did all right for something like 20K before it popped (but it also was abused from day one, not by whit). Nothing mechanical and involving friction lasts forever, but these things come close.

Style points I would go for the 635 for a few reasons
1) M30 engine is so unstressed that it doesn't take much to make it pour power.
2) the E24 (6 series) has always been a HOT car (one of the last sharknoses!)
3) CSI baby!
4) Less miles on the 635

However, the 6 series has one huge drawback to it, rustproofing i.e the lack insome critical areas. Check the car for rust if you find ANY in the front quarter panels (wings), negotiate a lower price or walk away. Those body panels are expensive and getting harder to find every day.

As with any BMW make sure that the seller has
1)owned the car for more than a year
2) has complete service records/history for the car

Make sure You
1) take it to a reputable mech and have the car checked out $100
2) are able to walk away if something's not right.

BMW's aren't neccesarily more expensive to maintain, but they are built to perform and that means that you must be more intentional about maintainace than with a Honda. But that quality is standard across the board in high performance engines. In fact the nice thing is, you can further modify your engine and the required maintaince level will remain about the same. Ask some Honda tuners if it works like that for them.

best of luck,
ashley
ps a really good high school car would a 81-84 533i. Safe, Cheap, easy to fix, and easy to mod.

granit_silber
05-05-2005, 09:31 AM
:) My son's 1995 Dodge neon (110K) has balljoints that are 2x the size of the 525i and are solid like the day they were installed - I know, comparing a BMW to a Dodge.... ;)

Scott

Let your son autocross it and see how long those bushings last. :D
-ashley

Kalevera
05-05-2005, 10:40 AM
Ashley -- actually, I wasn't lucky enough to get 20k out of the car before everything started falling apart....I bought it with all of it's problems and towed it to a buddy's garage, where the work began; the PO's lack of scruples, my ignorance at the time, and what my family calls my "stubborn german genes" were the cause of the $10,000 perfection game.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=8771

:)

But yes, like Niall & others have said...I vote M30 any day of the week. The 6 is a great car, even a classic, but they were never meant to be owned by people other than enthusiasts. A nice one is exclusive, even. Which we can't quite say about the E34, let alone a 525, as of yet.

It all depends on what you want, bobbyboy! :)

Best, whit

granit_silber
05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Ashley -- actually, I wasn't lucky enough to get 20k out of the car before everything started falling apart....

Best, whit

I misunderstood then. But the point remains that your tranny went 200K+ before blowing. I've never driven or even seen an american example that could boast the same (that doesn't mean they're not out there, though)

-ashley

Arxon
05-05-2005, 01:25 PM
hey both are very good cars, personally I prefer the six, it is classic and sporty, it is a dream of mine but I live in a country that to having this car is mean that you are a millionaire. I agree with the others that you are going to have parts problem.
I cannot understand that you will have it only for five years...These cars are not for sale!

BobHarris
05-05-2005, 01:51 PM

I had my 200K mile 1993 518 for 5 years and 80K miles and only had to change the fan (picked up from a breakers for £10) and fan belt. Oh and a pair of bushes on the rear.

I have only had my 530 for a couple of months so I don't know about that but I am confident that as it is a BMW it won't give me too much trouble.

HTH

Bob

JonE
05-05-2005, 03:12 PM
Check Bruno's site for many E34 related issues, including M30 engine, if you decide on the CSI, http://www.bmwe34.net/. I don't know what your abilities or resources and location are, but you might want to assume that you'll have to maintain either of those cars and it may cost time and money. They are not Hondas or Toyotas.

Elekta
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
If you even think of coming close to getting a 635, you have to get the euro bumps, because the american bumps just don't cut it.

I would select a two owner mechanically stock M6 under 150k miles, or a euro spec 635csi. Don't worry about the the rubber, seats, the stereo or interior items, or even brakes, because those you can afford to fix.

I would avoid like the plague any lowered, 18''d, dinan'd, subwoof'd, riced anything, because that is a sure sign it hasn't been babied. You would like to read about new clutch, radiator/heat ac/plumbing, bushings and suspension.

my $.02: If it doesn't cost $13k like this one (http://lalacars.com/bmw82~635red1024.htm) when you buy it, it will have that much in it by the time you stop fixing it.

I'm in my 3rd summer with my euro spec touring and all in, I think I'm up to $21k. I take some comfort that I still haven't broken 100k yet, and still have many $$$ free miles to drive (knock on wood)

An 84-87 M6 still remains one of the sickest rides ever....you can flatten a DDD chest with a stomp on the gas....in 3rd gear even.

http://nynycars.com/84~M6~3.9/DSCN3870.JPG