PDA

View Full Version : I need info some steering wheel info

pmlmotorsports
05-03-2005, 10:13 PM
I would like to know if anyone here has any information regarding the functionality of an E46 airbag wheel mounted into a 1992 535iM. I know the wheel will fit, but will the airbag function? Is there anything that can be done to make it work? Is it impossible to transplant AND function properly? Am I wasting my time? Any help would be much appreciated, especially if it's explained.

Thanks in advance

bahnstormer
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
u might be able to do it.
however iirc the e46 has a 2 stage bag
and the e34 sensors/triggers are setup for
a 1 stage.... in *theory* u could make it work,
but i wouldn't even bother as there is a ton of
stuff that u might not be taking into account...

the angle of the bag deployment, the size of the bag,
etc etc we have no idea about any of this, so u may
be making the car more dangeous...

that is why it is illegal (federal law) to tamper with an oem
airbag system

spoolinturbo
05-04-2005, 01:23 PM
exactly what he said. i wouldnt risk it, theres a lot of things to take into account. I would stick with OEM, just AC badge it or something...
jeff

Jon K
05-04-2005, 02:05 PM
exactly what he said. i wouldnt risk it, theres a lot of things to take into account. I would stick with OEM, just AC badge it or something...
jeff

I did the swap originally. There are two plugs on the backside of the airbag (E46) one orange and one black. There is one plug on the backside of the E34 airbag. The orange ones are identical, meaning you could fire the first stage of the airbag. I bothered not to hook it up.

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/1.jpg

pmlmotorsports
05-05-2005, 01:32 AM
I did the swap originally. There are two plugs on the backside of the airbag (E46) one orange and one black. There is one plug on the backside of the E34 airbag. The orange ones are identical, meaning you could fire the first stage of the airbag. I bothered not to hook it up.

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/1.jpg

Does that mean I won't get a full deployment if an accident occurs? Will hooking up just the orange cause a false deployment? Could I splice both connectors to the one orange lead and get both stages to fire? Any and all info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

brodee
05-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Am I the only one that's scared just by reading this??

SharkmanBMW
05-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I can't help you with the airbag, other than I wouldn't chance it!

But I am looking for a set of 17" staggerred 8" and 9" rears.... can you help me?

uscharalph
05-05-2005, 06:49 PM
You're not the only one. I personally wouldn't bother with getting the airbag hooked up, but it would be cool to have use of the stereo controls. That to is probably far fetched with my stock KE-83 HU.

Jon K
05-05-2005, 09:45 PM
You're not the only one. I personally wouldn't bother with getting the airbag hooked up, but it would be cool to have use of the stereo controls. That to is probably far fetched with my stock KE-83 HU.

Yeah I didn't bother.

pmlmotorsports
05-06-2005, 01:10 AM
I can't help you with the airbag, other than I wouldn't chance it!

But I am looking for a set of 17" staggerred 8" and 9" rears.... can you help me?
Sadly I can't........I had several sets of Racing Dynamics RGP wheels 17x8.5" and 9.5", I offered to all the boys here first, nobody stepped-up, so I sold them locally for $200 more than I was asking for here..... so it worked out well for me....sorry. Otherwise, with the exception of reconditioned (3yr warranty) OE BMW 17" E39 radial spokes (style32?) w/ rings 17x8 and 17x9, I can't help ya. Hope this helps.

pmlmotorsports
05-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Am I the only one that's scared just by reading this??

trust me guys, I ain't swappin it out if I can't get a wheel WITH an airbag that functions properly. I was in recent contact with the guy which has the steering wheel. Turns-out his dorm drinking years have finally caught-up with him after 15 years, it's not an E46 wheel, it's a European E36/E34 wheel. So now the question becomes, Can I properly utilize a steering wheel from a 1995 525i, 530i, or 540i, on my 1992 535iM w/production date of 7-91 ?????? Here is the link to the wheel http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE51&mospid=47384&btnr=32_0704&hg=32&fg=35. As far as compatability, it's mechanically identical to the steering 4 spoke wheel found on all US 1995 5 series ( w/the actual BMW Roundel on airbag cover ). Anyone?..............anyone?................Buhler ?............class?................anyone?

emw525E34
05-06-2005, 02:35 AM
I might be able to help you. I have a 95 525iTouring and I did a E46 4 spoke airbag wheel swap but RETAINED my airbag. It functions and works well.

The later airbag technology cannot be used in 95 and prior years becuase of 2 stage firing mode. Only way is to get a 95 or pre-95 airbag much like the Airbag wheel from a E36 M3 95 US model. That wheel (hard to find) will fit using your existing slip-ring that holds the 4 wires to the steering column.
Here is the pics : http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/824698/4

brodee
05-06-2005, 08:25 AM
I might be able to help you. I have a 95 525iTouring and I did a E46 4 spoke airbag wheel swap but RETAINED my airbag. It functions and works well.

How do you know it functions well? I would think this is one of those things that you won't know if it works until you need it to work.

Also I know a lot of the e30 guys with airbag wheels remove them saying that the early airbags were more dangerous than good and that as old as they are who knows what they will do. Those were in e30's for '90 and '91. Do you know what years used the same bags? If my '92 has a chance of being dangerous then I'll just pull it and put on an M-Tech2.