PDA

View Full Version : 535i Sport - AFM problem/MAF upgrade?

E34BMW
05-03-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi all,

I have a BMW E34 535i Sport 1989. The airflow meter has stopped working correctly (I checked the resistance which starts at 550 ohms, increases slowly upto 960 ohms at the half way point but then starts to decrease to 330 ohms and at the end point stops at 500 ohms).

A new airflow meter costs £305 from BMW and I can get a 20% discount, reducing the price to £244.

I found a company which sell remanufactured ones for £180ish.

However I found this website http://www.racingking.net/Performance/PerfDetails.asp?ProductID=102 (http://)
that sells a converter kit from airflow meter to air mass meter (MAF performance upgrade - ) for my car.
Has anyone bought one of these?
Are they any good?
How easy is it to set up?
Does it just work out of the box - eg. can I just install the kit and that’s it?
Or do I have to play around with setting to get it working correctly?
What sort of performance increase is there?

I have increased the performance of my car with a few modifications - a direct air intake pipe into the OEM air box, performance panel air filter, bored out throttle body, bored out intake manifold and a chip which has given the car a noticeable increase.

I haven't found any other websites/companies which sell converter kit, does anyone know any?

Adam

Jeff N.
05-03-2005, 09:37 PM
The racing king site belongs to Bruno - the host of BMW E34.net. I have his racing king MAF conversion - a nice kit. You may wish to check with him and see if he can still source the kits as I think his supplier is no longer in business. He may still have inventory.

I recall that you need to put +12v to one of the AFM pins to correctly check the function. Best if you can find a friend with the same car and swap AFMs and see if that fixes it before you invest. Another option would be to call BMA (www.bmaautoparts.com) and order a rebuilt AFM unit. I did this a while ago - about $170US. Much cheaper...

Hope this helps...

Jeff

winfred
05-03-2005, 10:15 PM
you can test it with a multimeter set to dc volts, i can't remember which pin it is as i usually test them with my diagnostic scanner or with the top off the afm, afm hooked to the car with the key on you should read from about 0 to about 5 volts at full opening, you can usually clean the trace and wipers and get it working better with a non residual cleaner