PDA

View Full Version : Question about ellipsoids

granit_silber
05-03-2005, 12:34 PM
Hey Guys,

I might be buying a set of ellipsoids soon and need to know if they require any special harness.

My 525 has a prod date of 3/92 and has the sealed beam lights using 9006 bulbs (I think). Will the 'soids drop in or do I get to be creative with some wiring?
-ashley

Jeff N.
05-03-2005, 01:02 PM
They should fit right in harness wise. You would only need to switch plug ends if you are putting in the Euro variety which are Hx based, not 900x based.

You'll want to plan to replace the 3 adjuster / mounting screws as part of the swap over. They are typically frozen from age and the plastic tabs are hard and can break when you swap. Good item to source from the dealer; it's hard to figure out what's what in ETK. About $4 each if I recall.

Plan to take the nose of the car apart to remove the headlight mounting bracket. Bit of disassembly.

granit_silber
05-03-2005, 01:07 PM
They should fit right in harness wise. You would only need to switch plug ends if you are putting in the Euro variety which are Hx based, not 900x based.

You'll want to plan to replace the 3 adjuster / mounting screws as part of the swap over. They are typically frozen from age and the plastic tabs are hard and can break when you swap. Good item to source from the dealer; it's hard to figure out what's what in ETK. About $4 each if I recall.

Plan to take the nose of the car apart to remove the headlight mounting bracket. Bit of disassembly.

Thanks Jeff,

Before I commit to the time and (small) expense of the swap, is it worth it? I mean to stick with 9000 series bulbs and change the assemblies or should I wait and convert to the European Smileys with the H bulbs?
-ashley

bjl4776
05-03-2005, 01:53 PM
If you stick with US ellipsoids then the wires will be the same, as they are with all 9000 series bulbs. But you will have to change out the harnesses if you goto the Euro Ellipsoids with H1 bulbs. I highly recommend going for the Euro Ellipsoids if you are going to upgrade anyway, they are much better