PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Bearing???

e34it
05-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Been doing some research, could the pilot bearing or perhaps some other bearing on the crankshaft being making my elusive noise? Any ideas, there has to be someone out there who has had the same problem.

simon-york
05-03-2005, 06:12 AM
I think I do. It is a kinda rrrr rrrr bearing noise which is engine-speed related and diminishes as the engine warms up. Someone here mentioned the dual mass flywheel - I hope it isn't that, sounds expensive. I hope to have the gearbox overhauled during the next 12 months so plan to get in checked then - just hoping it doesn't let go in the meantime.

brodee
05-03-2005, 06:17 AM
I doubt it's the pilot bearing. The pilot should only make noise when you press the pedal in and disengage the clutch, other than that it shouldn't be spinning.

e34it
05-03-2005, 07:52 AM
im getting the noise in neutral, with clutch in or out while gas pedal is pushed, and in gear also mainly heard at lower gears, the sound disappears when no gas pedal is applied i also had someone mention to me it could be engine related , or the fan clutch, alternator bushings, is the gearbox seperate from the tranny? if so the sound could be located in there, it seems like the sound is coming from the floorboard area near the shifter, it vibrates the floorboards, and also makes audible noise, ????????

Bellicose Right Winger
05-03-2005, 09:50 AM
Check for loose heat shield(s) on head pipe / converter / exhaust.

In neutral with clutch in, nothing in transmission should be turning unless clutch is dragging. Check for noise with trans in gear and clutch in. This will absolutely stop trans input shaft from spinning.

Paul Shovestul

im getting the noise in neutral, with clutch in or out while gas pedal is pushed, and in gear also mainly heard at lower gears, the sound disappears when no gas pedal is applied i also had someone mention to me it could be engine related , or the fan clutch, alternator bushings, is the gearbox seperate from the tranny? if so the sound could be located in there, it seems like the sound is coming from the floorboard area near the shifter, it vibrates the floorboards, and also makes audible noise, ????????