PDA

View Full Version : shogun 's "new" 750iL Highline - 1 of <5.000 ever built

shogun
05-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Saved it from being disassembled and sold as parts. Was offered in the parts section here in Japan. No offer at all, as no one knew what's the condition was. Drove 400 km to inspect it.
Actually I found it for Mike (nick:Hairywithit on roadfly), an Aussie, living since many years in Japan and my backyard hack mechanic buddy. We inspected the car he shook hands with the seller and then he found out his parking lot is too small and the max load weight of it. These are usually very tiny in Japan and cost in the center of Tokyo where I live 300-400 US $/month, w/o parking lot within the range of 2 km from your home no chance to register a car.
A lot to do on the car, but the basics are very good.
Buffalo seats are better than the photos suggest. Passenger seat back is twisted. All gauges working, OBC backlights are MIA. RHS fixed window shade is missing. LHS one is slightly torn at the end and doesn't feed back smoothly. Interior wood seems perfect with no fading and only slight scuff marks on the center box top. lots of dust on the floor but the carpets are fair. Engine is running slightly lumpy at idle but nothing nasty and smooths out with rpm. missing the washer tank, concentrate tank and heat shield --just bought one cpl. on the auction house here in Japan for 45 $.
Checked with the PEAKE tester, only fault is oxy sensor cyl. 1-6. Let's see. Pentosin is leaking, but if we are lucky it is only coming from the reservoir tank and leaking thru the lid gasket, dropping on the high pressure lines and then they come out somewhere on another place under the car. New tires needed, new oil and other liquids and many small other things. A stupid guy keyed the car all around, except the hood. Anyway, first thing is get her road legal.
Price: abt 960 US $ or Yen 100.000. A real bargain. Owner was a dentist who did not know anything about the car. Probably he was shocked by the estimate of the dealer to fix the twisted seat back by replacing it against a cpl. new seat for mucho $ and other things. We all know that the seat back twist costs nothing but a bit of time and the "how to do".
Here a lot of pics Johan kindly keeps on his website, car as inspected, dirty and so on. The next pics follow after we have done our job and the car looks as good as it should be. 138K km, built 03/1990.
That is how it was offered
http://img151.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/0/3/8/7/gonnnn00-img600x450-1111542144p1000032.jpg
and here many pics about the real condition.
I will keep my 750iL and want to make that Highline my sunday fine weather driver. Will keep it outside of Tokyo parked at father in law place, 75 km away, where Mike and I can restore it on the weekends to former glory.
click to many pics in condition as is now. (http://bmwe32.student.utwente.nl/shogun/)
I thought I would never in my life drive a Highline.

Kalevera
05-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Erich...WoW!!!

For a second, I thought you were going to tell us that you picked up the one that has been sitting at that dealership for over a year or however long it's been.

<$1000 for that is a *steal* though!

best, whit

shogun
05-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Whit,
the other one is still there with the 11K on the clock, but they still want 2 Mio. Yen =
which is close to 20K US$.
So a difference of 19K. A lot of savings to put some money of that into this project car. I still keep the 750iL as a daily driver and this car comes to my father in law place outside of Tokyo where I have space enough to work on the weekends and restore it.
I am not in a hurry and do it step by step and try to get as many parts as possible used. At the moment there is a flood of E32 parts on the market.
First the mechanical things and then the cosmetics later.
So you won't hear of the car for a long while till it is ready for show time.
And maybe the other one is then still for sale at a bargain price.
No one in Japan at the moment buys an old 5 Liter car with that fuel consumption and liter prices of $ 1.20 at the mom, but I will not drive much with that car, just on the weekends. It is a fun car and a restoration project.

uscharalph
05-03-2005, 01:16 AM
I'll be looking forward to your posts on this car.

Interceptor
05-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Whit,
the other one is still there with the 11K on the clock, but they still want 2 Mio. Yen =
which is close to 20K US$.
So a difference of 19K. A lot of savings to put some money of that into this project car. I still keep the 750iL as a daily driver and this car comes to my father in law place outside of Tokyo where I have space enough to work on the weekends and restore it.
I am not in a hurry and do it step by step and try to get as many parts as possible used. At the moment there is a flood of E32 parts on the market.
First the mechanical things and then the cosmetics later.
So you won't hear of the car for a long while till it is ready for show time.
And maybe the other one is then still for sale at a bargain price.
No one in Japan at the moment buys an old 5 Liter car with that fuel consumption and liter prices of $ 1.20 at the mom, but I will not drive much with that car, just on the weekends. It is a fun car and a restoration project.
Great car! I'm sure it'll look like new once you're done with it :) Too bad you're all the way in Japan - I would be looking forward to buying one of your cars in a year or two, otherwise :)

Robin-535im
05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
What a deal! Beautiful car there, one in a million. Or is it one in 5000?

Talk about luxury cruiser... you're going to need a chauffeur to completely appreciate it. That, or take the wife / significant other out and have a fancy dinner in the rear seat. Very nice indeed.

Keep us updated with some pics every now and then!

- Robin