PDA

View Full Version : Removing ink stains?

danzee
05-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Does anyone have experience removing what appears to be red ballpoint ink (my wife won't confess. Fortunately it's in her E34) stains from silver/gray leather? I suspect they have been there a while.
TIA<
Dan Z

Kalevera
05-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Could try some of Leatherique's Prestine Clean.

Any light solvent would also do the trick, but will likely cut (some of) the dye, which might not be a huge problem if the spot isn't very visible.

best, whit

mikey535im
05-02-2005, 03:48 PM
I had pretty good luck with 'soft scrub' , the citrus variety. I removed 98 % blue ink stain out of my rear seat (bright silver). Please try this is an inconspicuos spot first , I had good luck with it but naturally can offer no guarantee that it will work on your application.
HTH
Mike

brodee
05-02-2005, 03:49 PM
I know cheap hair spray (e.g. AquaNet) will lift ink stains right out of clothes. Just spray it on and wipe off the ink. Never tried it on leather but it's saved a couple pairs of jeans with pens in the back pockets.

MantecaBMW
05-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Lifts ink stains from your clothing.......and people put this in their hair?

I know cheap hair spray (e.g. AquaNet) will lift ink stains right out of clothes. Just spray it on and wipe off the ink. Never tried it on leather but it's saved a couple pairs of jeans with pens in the back pockets.

brodee
05-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Lifts ink stains from your clothing.......and people put this in their hair?

Ya, it also makes the best propellant for a potato gun
:)

MantecaBMW
05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
Hold a flame in front of it and it also works great as a bug killer......

danzee
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the tips.
I'll let you know what works (or not),
WRT potato gun propellant, yes hair spray is excellent!
Zh

Dash01
05-02-2005, 10:27 PM
Call any decent leather furniture store and ask--they have stuff that comes in a pen-like applicator that you gently rub the inkstain off with. I forget the name of the stuff, but it worked when my kid accidentally got black ballpoint pen ink on our neighbors brand new white Italian leather sofa.

Does anyone have experience removing what appears to be red ballpoint ink (my wife won't confess. Fortunately it's in her E34) stains from silver/gray leather? I suspect they have been there a while.
TIA<
Dan Z

gale
05-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Check this website & call their 1-800 number to find a local distributor:

http://www.bluegoldcleaners.com/

Ask them for a gallon of their "Blue Gold" general purpose concentrate, it's about $20. The stuff is amazing. It's non-toxic, water soluble and is safe to use on anything that is safe to be wiped down with water. My daughter bought one of those camel back water backpacks which sprung a leak right after she bought it, but she had already put her name on it with a permanent felt marker & I wasn't sure if she'd be able to return it. I got out the concentrate & dipped the corner of a wet washcloth in it & the felt marker came out completely almost instantly, without removing the natural color of the backpack. I don't know what's in that stuff but it is incredible & I use it all the time on everything. Best stuff I've ever tried. It comes with a pamphlet which gives various dilution ratios to mix with water for general cleaning use around the house.