PDA

View Full Version : If the fan nut threads are left handed....

infinity5
05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Then standing at the FRONT of the car, facing the engine, i would turn the nut.... left? er... i dunno. i'm not sure which way it would turn even if it weren't left handed :)

Hey jeff (and you people with m60's), i got that son of a b*tch coolant drain plug off the drivers side of the engine block :) muahahaha. the secret is vice-grips and removing that little heat shield under the PS gearbox.

damn those vice grips have already been super-useful at least 3 times in the last 3 days.. i think i'm going to go buy a whole set.

btw, do any write ups exsist for pulling the head on an M60? besides the bently, i mean.

632 Regal
05-02-2005, 02:12 PM
i never pulled the drivers side, did the passanger side and flushed/filled it 3 times to get the old green out.

steering box play: get new car.

I havent seen the insides of these engines yet in pictures or otherwise.

Kalevera
05-02-2005, 02:15 PM
it's the reverse of:

righty tighty, lefty loosey.

So:

righty loosey, lefty tighty (natural rotation of the engine, which is why you don't need to torque the sucker down because it's SELF torquing).

best, whit

Edit: if that wasn't clear -- stand on the driver's side of the car, mount up the wrench or whatever you're using, and pull the wrench towards you.

infinity5
05-02-2005, 02:27 PM
ok, thanks :) so i turn the nut towards the drivers side of the car then

Kalevera
05-02-2005, 02:48 PM
yup :)

That is, assuming you're in the USA and the driver's side is the LEFT side of the car...not that silly right side garbage.

bimmerd00d
05-02-2005, 05:45 PM
if you are looking at the front of the engine, turn them clockwise.

Javier
05-02-2005, 06:50 PM
Right hand threads, when the four fingers embrace the bolt/nut/screw pointing the direction of rotation, the thumb points to the direction it will move, a left hand thread will be the same but using the left hand.

Javier