PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the summer house this weekend

smcgowan
05-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Well the car was making some strange noises before the weekend trip. It sounded like a loud clock. Took the car to the local Shade Tree BMW mech hoping it was only something simple. Well I got my wish, he replaced the tensioners and the belts. The tensioners were bad enough to cause the loud clicks, not to mention killing my mpg's. For the trip this weekend, My 93 525Ia got 28.5 mpg. Below is a picture of the ride with the summer house in the back ground.. Well in my dreams..

Kalevera
05-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Jeeze...wish I got 28.5mpg.

best, whit

liquidtiger720
05-02-2005, 12:06 AM
what am i doing wrong? im getting 20mpg. =)

uscharalph
05-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Wow I get something like 22 - 23.5 mpg on the highway.

smcgowan
05-02-2005, 09:13 AM
That's the best Mpg I've ever gotten. Most of the driving was touring the Blue Ridge parkway. Max speed 45. When on the highway traveling 80 I get 25mpg.

saj3n
05-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Well the car was making some strange noises before the weekend trip. It sounded like a loud clock. Took the car to the local Shade Tree BMW mech hoping it was only something simple. Well I got my wish, he replaced the tensioners and the belts. The tensioners were bad enough to cause the loud clicks, not to mention killing my mpg's. For the trip this weekend, My 93 525Ia got 28.5 mpg. Below is a picture of the ride with the summer house in the back ground.. Well in my dreams..

Did the sound that you were hearing occur while the car was idling, or when it was driving only? I think that I might have heard that sound today. About how much did it cost you to complete the repair?

smcgowan
05-02-2005, 10:23 AM
My 93 had the old sytle tensioner.. He replaced 2 tesioners and both belts. $100 parts.. only $45 labor.....

The sound was real loud at idle.. As gas applied it softened, but was still noticable if you were listening for it. The click was so loud at idle that it could be heard inside the cabin. The mech said that one of the bearings within the tensioner was most likely toast.

Russell
05-02-2005, 10:27 AM
average about 22-23 on mixed driving commute. No freeway