PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a 89 535 need some help

ejmpower
05-01-2005, 11:44 AM
When I first turn on the car the instrument cluster is fine, but as soon as you touch the brake pedal (car is a manual) the cluster tweeks out all the instruemtns excect tach die, but then if you drive the car a little everthing comes back and works fine for the rest of the drive, the other thing is that this tweeking out always resets the trip odometer, although the odomter always reads correctly. Any idea? sounds maybe like a bad ground. Also dose anybody have some black door panels?

Jon K
05-01-2005, 11:57 AM
When I first turn on the car the instrument cluster is fine, but as soon as you touch the brake pedal (car is a manual) the cluster tweeks out all the instruemtns excect tach die, but then if you drive the car a little everthing comes back and works fine for the rest of the drive, the other thing is that this tweeking out always resets the trip odometer, although the odomter always reads correctly. Any idea? sounds maybe like a bad ground. Also dose anybody have some black door panels?

It doesn't sound like a bad ground as much as it sounds like failing capacitors inside the instrument cluster. Not too bad to replace. Need to be handy with a soldering iron. I think the capacitors all together are like <$5

ejmpower
05-01-2005, 12:05 PM
any idea of which ones? or do you have a picture, that would help as I am guessing there are multiple capacitors

ejmpower
05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
btw where did you get your smilies?

Kalevera
05-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Check bmwe34.net for the writeup, mate ;)

best, whit