PDA

View Full Version : E34 '95 Quick Questions

ichbin
04-30-2005, 10:58 PM
I'm buying an E34 '95 530i. I'm aware of the whole Nikasil problem and will get a compression check etc... The main questions that I have are:

1) How long do they last. Currently 95000 miles on the ODO, is a 5spd.

2) I want to install a keyless entry unit w/doublelock feature. What is the best system.

3) Who has the best deals for HID or Angel Eye conversion kits. (Simplicity in installation would also be nice.)

4) The leather is in decent condition in the car, except for on the drivers arm rest. What can I do to restore this leather, or where can I get the arm rest re-leathered. I'd rather restore the original because who knows how hard it would be to get the new and old leather to match.

5) The shifter is a little worn. I'm looking into getting a new shifter from leatherz. I'd like an illuminated knob, however, LeatherZ only has illuminated M shifters. The car isn't an M and I'm not trying to fake (peeve of mine). Any ideas concerning the quality of LeatherZ or alternatives ie. getting a quality, illuminated, leather shifter would be appreciated.

6) The car is black and so it shows all of the places where gravel has hit the car. The paint is 10yrs old and doesn't have that same new shine. So I'm looking for advice. Should I get the car painted, will a good detail job do the trick, or do you have any other suggestions/alternatives?

7) The AC doesn't cool the car down very much. I've read some stuff and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but either the AC needs recharging or the cabin air filter needs replacing or both. I think that I've found the answer to this question, but I'm trying to make certain.

Hopefully these aren't too newbie questions. I've been reading like mad in tons of forums and finally compiled this list of questions. I currently drive a BMW 735i E23 '85 w/240k miles on it (some modifications :) ) So I'm not entirely new to the BMW world, just working my way up. Thanks for your input. I hope to be on here more once I purchase my new car.

Kalevera
04-30-2005, 11:33 PM
1) Not sure about the V8's -- I'd say > 200k with them -- but I know that the inline sixes are usually good for 300 or 400k

2) don't know - doesn't the car already have an IR keyless entry system?

3) I, personally, would stay away from HID, just because of what Daniel Stern says about it.

4) Call leatherique or colorplus. My leatherique results on the entire car were great with the exception of the driver's seat (had to crack fill the sucker to death, and the dye doesn't seem to adhere well to it). For the DS armrest, it should be an easy hour or two job.

5/6) don't know

7) I'd have a mechanic who knows these cars check the system out. If the microfilter's in need of replacement, the issue will more regard actual air thoroughput, not whether said air is cold enough. Be forewarned - A/C repairs on these cars aren't cheap.

If I were you, I'd get one of the manual 535s that're floating around on the board right now. It'll be a lot like your current car and maintenance will be a little more manageable (so they say).

best, whit

ichbin
05-01-2005, 12:13 AM
The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—that is lens, reflector, bulb...the WHOLE shemozzle—with optics designed for HID usage.
-David Stern

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html accessed 05/01/2005

I wasn't thinking about just dropping an HID bulb into the same housing. I would definately replace the entire system. Any thoughts on the angel eyes though?

liquidtiger720
05-01-2005, 01:08 AM
I didnt read it, but I thought that as long as one has projector type bulbs, HIDs would be fine, because of the concentration of light and the cutoff. I would get the euro ellipoids either hella or depo, that is up to you. To me, angel eyes are sweet, but only on the e39. I personally dont like it on the e34 and e36. It seems to fit well with the e46, but you dont have one anyways.

if you do want the angel eyes, ebay sells them coupled with euro ellipsoids.

Kalevera
05-01-2005, 01:45 AM
PM Bahnstormer on the angel eyes -- I know he's done it.

best, whit

western99
05-01-2005, 07:14 PM
WRT the paint, go with a good detailer at first. It is amazing what a claybar and some wax can do. As well, I would say stay away from the HID's unless you are willing to spend some $. Either do it right or don't do it at all. If it was me, I would do an inspection 2 on the car. Once you do that, it will tell you the real story of what needs to be done on your car. It may cost you about $800 to do, but at least it will let you know what kind of mechanical shape your car is in. Just my 2c.

Brian