PDA

View Full Version : My New Detroit Hoopty :)

Derek A.
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
$500 - 1987 Volvo 240 DL Wagon. 4 banger, auto - factory town package on it. Has about 140,000 miles on it. Needs a little work - but nothing all to major at this point.

http://www.opus45.com/pics/P4100007.JPG

DueyT
04-30-2005, 01:52 PM
The TANK! A 240DL will outlast an M1A1 Abrams! :D

632 Regal
04-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Kalevera
04-30-2005, 06:11 PM
Derek....looks like that thing is "rolling on dubs". What kind of wheels are they, anyway? :)

140k is nothing for that car! How's the underbody?

best, whit

winfred
04-30-2005, 09:39 PM
disconnect the battery and clean the fuse box with a brass brush, then hit the contacts with contact grease and install new fuses (if you can find them the stainless steel ended glass barreled ones are best) that will prevent lotsa problems, get a new fuel pump/main relay too around $50 it's white and has 6 pins under the dash on the passinger side, the solder joints crack on the board and cause problems (it can be resoldered but nothing beats a new one for not crapping out because it's 15+ years old)

Jeff N.
04-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Looks like the orginal wheels. GL model. Leather, right?

Jeff
(worked at a volvo dealership for about 4 years or so)

Derek....looks like that thing is "rolling on dubs". What kind of wheels are they, anyway? :)

Derek A.
04-30-2005, 11:33 PM
The wheels are basically a gold basketweave polished lip wheel, made by oz - 15". Basic plan of attach on those is to polish them up and paint the centers black. The underside is in amaazing shape for a car that spent time in Michigan. It needs a few little things, hood latch, head pipe, front brakes and a tune up. The car is a DL - vinyl interior, automatic. no leaks - pretty amazing !

DanDombrowski
04-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Hey man, I have the sedan version of that car. She won't let you down. I think your hood is popped though.

I'm sure you've already heard of it, but if not, check out www.ipdusa.com for mods if you're interested. I have the sway bars and strut braces on mine.

Later

Derek A.
05-01-2005, 12:09 PM
The hood latch is messed up - so its popped up. Just a bunch of little stuff to take care of. Its amazing how simple these cars are. Everything is pretty easy to get to, I am sure just like the Germans the Sweeds did some funky engineering.

PatrickPGH
05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
You can polish out the yellowing of the passenger side headlight with a clay bar I believe, been 5+ years since I had a Volvo with those headlights. Just like our cars, European headlights are also available.

Another common failpoint is the overdrive relay, one of the worst designs I've seen, when it fails you lose the overdrive.

Have fun,

Patrick

The hood latch is messed up - so its popped up. Just a bunch of little stuff to take care of. Its amazing how simple these cars are. Everything is pretty easy to get to, I am sure just like the Germans the Sweeds did some funky engineering.