PDA

View Full Version : 535i Drivers side wiper position

epj3
04-29-2005, 04:51 PM
For some reason the drivers side wiper keeps hitting the trim around the top-side of the windshield on its up stroke, and makes a very annoying sound. I took the arm off the wiper spline and put it 1 position down, but then it puts the wiper about 1mm from the cowl. It didn't do it when I got the car, and the only thing I changed was the wiper blade insert (not the whole arm, just the insert blade) which didn't have this problem to start with - but in the past 2 weeks it has. Any idea's?

Paul in NZ
04-29-2005, 05:01 PM
has the insert moved n the arm.If it has moved outward it would exhibit those symptoms?

epj3
04-29-2005, 05:33 PM
has the insert moved n the arm.If it has moved outward it would exhibit those symptoms?
Doesn't look like it. Looking at pictures, it looks like there are 2 positions in the pics - the one position tucks the tip of the drivers wiper under the passenger wiper arm (doesn't touch), other position is what mine was - but it touches the window. Now it hits the cowl! I'd rather it be in the position with it tucked under the passenger wiper - looks better. But I'll deal with it hitting the cowel before hitting the hard dryrotted trim around the windshield.

632 Regal
04-29-2005, 08:50 PM
flip it over.

jplacson
04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Mine was doing this too. Previous owner just replaced the rubber, and not the wiper arm. When you do this, the arm that actually holds the rubber can loosen over time (there's a metal retaining clamp that slips if you just replace the blade), thus 'throws' the rubber outward on every stroke.

I just sprung for a new wiper blade arm... clicked it in... no more problem.

pundit
04-29-2005, 10:27 PM
For some reason the drivers side wiper keeps hitting the trim around the top-side of the windshield on its up stroke, and makes a very annoying sound. I took the arm off the wiper spline and put it 1 position down, but then it puts the wiper about 1mm from the cowl. It didn't do it when I got the car, and the only thing I changed was the wiper blade insert (not the whole arm, just the insert blade) which didn't have this problem to start with - but in the past 2 weeks it has. Any idea's?
I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead. I tried moving my wiper arm around 1 spline to prevent the arm from hitting the hood but wound up with it hitting the top-side of the windshield just like yours. As you can see there is not any real leeway to position the wiper arm by rotating even one spline without causing problems elsewhere.

genphreak
04-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead...
This is the problem I have. I removed the driver's side arm from the spline too, but noticed a little metal button that applies pressure to the blade via a series of springs within the lower section of the arm. I can't figure out what this really achieves, but am guessing it varies blade angle depending on wiper position...

On mine the metal button is very worn, so I expect this is the cause... not sure how to replace... has anyone done this? Perhaps its means a new assembly beneath the area where the spline sticks through... it'd be somehting one'd want to buy new really... any thoughts fellows??

:) GP

632 Regal
04-29-2005, 11:01 PM
flip it over.

Rory535i
04-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I believe the problem can be caused by worn wiper spindle bushes or linkages. There is practically no margin for error with any slackness in the wiper mechanism at all. A common E34 problem is the lower part of the arm (not the blade) hitting the hood instead. I tried moving my wiper arm around 1 spline to prevent the arm from hitting the hood but wound up with it hitting the top-side of the windshield just like yours. As you can see there is not any real leeway to position the wiper arm by rotating even one spline without causing problems elsewhere.

mine hits the hood too. i tried moving it and adjusting it but nothing helped. is there an easy solution to this problem?

jplacson
04-29-2005, 11:27 PM
ya, just get a new blade! :P I was trying everything prior to that. I just wanted to change the rubber... tried tightening the metal clamps... moving it here and there... kept sliding out and hitting the windshield frame.

In the end, I just got new SWF blades. But of course... the spoiler doesn't have the roundel.. so I just unclipped my BMW spoiler, removed the SWF spoiler and clicked it in. :) Good as new... new blades come with some 'wear sensor' sticker that turns yellow when you need to change your blades. :) US$25 for a set.

epj3
04-30-2005, 01:02 AM
ya, just get a new blade! :P I was trying everything prior to that. I just wanted to change the rubber... tried tightening the metal clamps... moving it here and there... kept sliding out and hitting the windshield frame.

In the end, I just got new SWF blades. But of course... the spoiler doesn't have the roundel.. so I just unclipped my BMW spoiler, removed the SWF spoiler and clicked it in. :) Good as new... new blades come with some 'wear sensor' sticker that turns yellow when you need to change your blades. :) US$25 for a set.
Where did you get the blades? $25 isn't bad. Much better than $40+ for just the drivers blade.

Nothing is hitting the hood on mine, just the tip of the drivers blade will barely hit the cowl when the wipers are at full speed. I DO have the feeling the entire system can loosen up over time - probably need to tighten some stuff.

jplacson
04-30-2005, 01:51 AM
Sorry, my conversion was wrong, it's more like US$31 for the set. There's a parts shop here in the Phil that specializes in OEM parts for BMWs. They're a God-send for parts and service!!!

I got it a bit cheaper since I'm a regular customer, I bought the blades when I bought a Sachs clutch kit, so they gave me a discount.

The blades are an exact fit...except for the lack of the BMW logo on the spoiler. But the original spoiler clips on anyway so that isn't an issue.

Rory535i
04-30-2005, 03:30 AM
i got new bosch blades and it didn't make any difference, it still hits the hood. the wipers work fine and there's no noise. any other suggestions?

genphreak
04-30-2005, 03:39 AM
flip it over.
Jeff, what are you talking about... 'flip over' the blade assembly? I don't see how anything goes two ways round, except for the blade rubber... Tx :) GP

632 Regal
04-30-2005, 11:50 AM
the wiper refill backer is 1 inch offset. as for the "arm" hitting the hood BMW redesigned it so that its lower. Others have posted that there is a bushing that wears that causes it to hit which makes sence cause I dont thind when these cars were brand new they would have hit the hood.

jplacson
04-30-2005, 11:57 AM
dunno if Bosch blades are exactly the same as the OEM blades (which are SWF)

Rory535i
04-30-2005, 12:04 PM
dunno if Bosch blades are exactly the same as the OEM blades (which are SWF)

i had oem blades before and i changed them thinking they were **** and as i've already mentioned it's still doing it. judging by the size of the mark on the hood it appears to have been doin it for some time, way before i got the car. do u reckon new wiper arms might fix it or is it all down the the wiper linkages, mechanism etc??

Rory535i
04-30-2005, 12:07 PM
i had oem blades before and i changed them thinking they were **** and as i've already mentioned it's still doing it. judging by the size of the mark on the hood it appears to have been doin it for some time, way before i got the car. do u reckon new wiper arms might fix it or is it all down the the wiper linkages, mechanism etc??

sorry, didn't see 632 Regal's post...

epj3
04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
I wish BMW would've just put a normal old wiper arm on the drivers side, just like the passenger side. Sucks having to buy a specific kind of wiper.

632 Regal
04-30-2005, 09:42 PM
the factory wipers have the offset hole from what i read and aftermket have a centered hole.

genphreak
05-01-2005, 12:07 PM
the wiper refill backer is 1 inch offset. as for the "arm" hitting the hood BMW redesigned it so that its lower. Others have posted that there is a bushing that wears that causes it to hit which makes sence cause I dont thind when these cars were brand new they would have hit the hood.
I'm off to BMW to get a new lower blade.. and to see what can be done about the 'worn button' from the online ETK one needs to replace these two parts-

22 JACK FOR PRESSURE ADJUSTING DEVICE 1 61611378827 $1.37
23 TAPPET FOR PRESSURE ADJUST. DEVICE 1 61611378828 $18.90

Great stuff, thanks Jeff. I'll post what happens. My wiper arm is cracked also so I'll be doing the entire thing.... :) GP