PDA

View Full Version : L-Jetronic to Motronic retrofit

Interceptor
04-29-2005, 02:09 AM
My friend has an '85 E28 528i with M30B28 and Bosch L-Jetronic and wants to install a motronic from M30B30 (that's the closest match so far - only 2 dcl and 4 HP difference between the cars, it should adapt without problems).

We've been collecting data and this is what we need so far:
- timing wheel (Jetronic has a wheel with just one notch for null-position)
- Bosch Motronic with a complete harness
- CPS together with the piece it mounts to
- O2 sensor together with the wiring

Are we missing something? What about the injectors and the distributor? Are they the same? L-Jetronic uses AFM - is it the same one that's used in early Motronic systems? Have anyone ever successfully done this?

genphreak
04-29-2005, 02:23 AM
Just a guess, but I reckon you will need-

AFM, injectors, FPR, (coil, (dist?), rubbber boots, intake manifold (ignition wires perhaps, temp sensors (most of the engine's sensors will be different), water necks (will a late M30 one fit?). Dunno what else...

Can pickup a cheap M30 on Roadfly's parts boards, sell the parts you don't need to pay for the conversion... thing is its calibrated for the displacement of the 3.4L motor.... what will you do about that, reduce injector size? How will Motronic adjust to such a new task I wonder? I expect you will need to write your own ECU code on a dyno...

I think I'd put the whole engine in instead... plus wiring and ECU, thus why not go M50 if budget permits... I have new radiator pipes for a late E28 (M30 w motronic) if you want them...

:) GP