PDA

View Full Version : newbie question - how do I remove the a/c belt

BigKriss
04-28-2005, 11:23 PM
going on from this thread. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11210

I have some time to work on the car. I have setup a computer + all the gear (stero, webcam, internet line etc) in the garage to help me also.

how do I remove the a/c belt - http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1076&stc=1

Do I have to remove the radiator fan first? Should I also jack up the right hand side of the car front - so to access the belt easier. Last time I drove the car, about 2 weeks ago I got a buring rubber smell. I hate public transport and riding to work. However I'm new to working in the engine bay, so I'm reluctant, I don't want to mess things up.

any advice guys?

regards

kristian

epj3
04-28-2005, 11:58 PM
Take off the plastic shield under the car, get out your 10 mm (i believe) box end wrench, and loosen the bolt behind the tensioner thing on the compressor (it's under it to the right if you're looking at it from the front of the car).

Then take your (19? 20? 21? can't remember) socket or box end wrench, turn the outside bolt (with the teeth) counterclockwise, it loosens the device and belt. Pull old belt off, and installation is reverse of removal :-)

Just be careful, those teeth on the tensioner are known to go bad, the first 4 or 5 teeth on mine are corroded, so I had to use a 1/2" socket extension just to get the compressor to the good teeth.

632 Regal
04-29-2005, 12:30 AM
be careful as to not over tighten the bolt and strip the housing!!! If the belts slipping you might want to make sure all the pullys and stuff spin free without any noise before buttoning it up.

Kalevera
04-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Kristian....

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?postid=60528t#post60528

Best, whit

BigKriss
04-29-2005, 08:38 AM
thanks guys - I'll get back to you soon and report back my findings. have to sleep now, then work again,so it's probably another 18 hours before I start the job

niall
04-29-2005, 09:00 AM
what about the shot bearing situation kris?

BigKriss
04-29-2005, 09:14 AM
i'm still unsure what is wrong

BigKriss
05-02-2005, 01:33 AM
I removed the A/C belt today, it took quite a while for me to remove. I loosened the tensior bolt at the rear and then the front with a 19mm (i think spanner). Epj3's instructions where very adequate. The belt seemed really tight on, and in the tensioners loosest position, it still took ages to take the belt off. I eventually did with a 1 foot screwdriver. WIth the belt on normally the tensior was placed at around the middle of the adjustment range.

Inspecting the belt the the brand is Optibelt Super FX, Made in Germany, the belt's size is listed at 13/12,5 x 855.

This belt looks old. In two places there is a crack is at least 6mm of the 10mm thinkness of the belt, and about 15 cracks of 1 to 2 mm in depth.

The screeching from the engine bay is gone now. It sounds normal again. Thinking back, my air conditioner was never very cold, even on the lowest settings. I know it maybe out of refigerant, however, could the belt have been on too tight, or is the ac pump stuffed now?

niall
05-02-2005, 02:10 AM
i think your pump is fubar mate