PDA

View Full Version : Polyurethane Engine mounts?

infinity5
04-27-2005, 11:47 PM
Does anyone make these for our car, or something similar to stiffen drive-train slack and whatnot. my engine flexes an unbelivible ammount when i rev it and watch with the hood open. I'm sure getting new OE mounts would improve it, but i'd rather just get something tough and soild.. especailly with those pesky P/S and oil leaks that will just destroy the OE ones again.

more importantly, has anyone tried this or sees any reason i shouldn't? i don;t mind the vibration.. my V-8's meaty rythmic idle is nice i think...

Jon K
04-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Does anyone make these for our car, or something similar to stiffen drive-train slack and whatnot. my engine flexes an unbelivible ammount when i rev it and watch with the hood open. I'm sure getting new OE mounts would improve it, but i'd rather just get something tough and soild.. especailly with those pesky P/S and oil leaks that will just destroy the OE ones again.

more importantly, has anyone tried this or sees any reason i shouldn't? i don;t mind the vibration.. my V-8's meaty rythmic idle is nice i think...

I'd like urethane mounts too. I know some people on this board are going to say that when you stiffen up a mount like an engine/tranny mount, you just displace the wear to another component. Personally, I'd risk it.

Kalevera
04-28-2005, 12:25 AM
Even if it were a hydraulic PU mount? I'd think it'd retain enough pliability to absorb the nearly the same amount of vibration.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Poly-U is great for track and hard core drivers with a cast iron ass.

If you are driving the car for comfort, than go with the OEM hydro-elastic mounts.

Poly-U is not a choice on any comfort car engine mount; it is tough, but will transmit very bump, vibration and fart into the frame. Thus make the car fell very stiff and noisy.

If your motor is tearing the mounts off the cross memeber, then set up a torque chain with a turn buckle to hold the engine & trans.

Rory535i
04-28-2005, 03:16 AM
i've just started a new job in a place that makes polyurethane bushes and i was thinking about making some fit my car(engine mounts). they don't make anything for bmw's but i can get something similar and cut them to size. If i do go ahead with it i'll let you guys know what they're like. i don't care about a harsher ride or anything like that before anyone starts telling me the pros and cons.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-28-2005, 03:26 AM
some monster 4X4 poly-u bushings on a lath to replace some obsolete control arm busihings for a friend's nissan, wow it was a tight ride.

You will feel the road for sure on the poly-u.

Hold on to your pocket change

e34it
04-28-2005, 05:46 AM
Get mounts for a BMW diesel engine, they are stronger and built to last longer , diesel engines are heavier than gasoline ones.

Jon K
04-28-2005, 08:34 AM
If you end up getting the PU mounts let me know. My car is already retardedly stiff and firm, it can't be any worse.

Rory535i
04-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Obviously as a perk of the job i also get them for free so i'm going to replace ALL the suspension bushes etc with polyurethane ones when i get the chance. Was wondering if anyone has done this to their e34 yet and if so what are the results like? i've been in smaller lighter cars with PU bushes but i have no idea what to expect when my 5 has them in...will it really be a much harsher ride than stock? not that this worries me, as far as i see it the firmer the better but i'd like to know how much of an impact it has on a heavy car like ours. i need new thrust arm bushes anyway so they might as well be PU ones.

Jon K
04-28-2005, 09:33 AM
Obviously as a perk of the job i also get them for free so i'm going to replace ALL the suspension bushes etc with polyurethane ones when i get the chance. Was wondering if anyone has done this to their e34 yet and if so what are the results like? i've been in smaller lighter cars with PU bushes but i have no idea what to expect when my 5 has them in...will it really be a much harsher ride than stock? not that this worries me, as far as i see it the firmer the better but i'd like to know how much of an impact it has on a heavy car like ours. i need new thrust arm bushes anyway so they might as well be PU ones.

I am really interested in the PU motor mounts, duplicate a couple for me?

Rory535i
04-28-2005, 09:44 AM
I am really interested in the PU motor mounts, duplicate a couple for me?

yeah i'll see how it goes and if I can get them made or whatever and they turn out ok then i'll see how many of u guys want them and ask the boss if he'd be interested in making a batch of them up. he'd have to make a mould from scratch so i don't know if he'd do it or not. i'm just gonna have a rummage around stuff he already has made and see if i can turn something down on the lathe. no promises yet though...

infinity5
04-28-2005, 02:02 PM
I'd be interested too, but only after we used jon as a guinnie pig. :) Is there any compromise between the hydro-rubber stuff in our suspensions now and solid urethane?

good too see all the comments, i searched the forums and it seemed like this haddn't been discussed before. theres definatly a lot of drivetrain slack that i bet could be eliminated with some firmer mounts

E34-520iSE
04-28-2005, 02:31 PM
Am I right in thinking then that the M21 diesel engine mounts are a stiffer version of the M20 mounts? That could be a good replacement for all of us with M20 engines.

Cheers,

Shaun ;)

Jon K
04-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Am I right in thinking then that the M21 diesel engine mounts are a stiffer version of the M20 mounts? That could be a good replacement for all of us with M20 engines.

Cheers,

Shaun ;)

I already looked an M51 mounts are $70ea and M50 mounts are $20 ea... so, these would have to be affordable