PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein bump stop instructions from the guru

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpost.php?p=72399&postcount=41

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 12:54 PM
what about the 200lbs of nitrogin? It seems like if there was a stop in there it shouldnt slam like it does, has anyone actually taken one of these apart to see whats inside?

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 01:27 PM
after looking at them pictures and doing a little search and research I have come to the conclusion that either the long bumpstops are made from sponge rubber or they are wasted. Im going to look into the short hard stops he mentioned but in all honesty I think you might be seeing these on Ebay in the near future. There are so many different oppinions on the other kinds of shocks out there I am really confused about other brands bottoming out like these do. Id hate to change them out and have a similar result.

How can I drive this thing without struts if I send these in for repair? This is a stupid situation.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-27-2005, 02:08 PM
what about the 200lbs of nitrogin? It seems like if there was a stop in there it shouldnt slam like it does, has anyone actually taken one of these apart to see whats inside?

...is contained within the upper portion. The way the Bilsteins are made, the OD of the upper chrome rod is the outside of a single tube damper and the nitrogen is contained within it. Pulling the outer yellow sleeve upward mimics normal compression of the OD of the damper only, you won't release anything.

I have a strong suspicion the bump stop is partly an air spring - the air pocket is sealed when the underside of the inner tube meets the stop, hence the slamming. Be sure to make the top of the cut nice and flat/square to the rod.

When/if you cut down the stop take some pix for the rest of us!

Anthony

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I will definetly take pictures to document this project! Where do I get the short stiff stops? didnt see them on the Bilstein site, make them outta an old tire?

Reading through his posts it's simple, cut the thing! I have confidence now.

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
here we go, think im onto something with my "advanced" searching...

http://www.brazeauracing.com/bumpstops.htm

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Its just that I havent ever seen anything on it before! I want more pictures LOL.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/suspension/e36_trim_bilstein_bumpstop.html

Tiger
04-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Mmm... I don't remember any nut on ours... I remember flat bottom part of insert.

632 Regal
04-27-2005, 05:06 PM
damn... always has to be someone that shits all over my parade.

I dont remember what they looked like when I put them in there, a lot of work to find out :D I know that they can be disassembled in some way though.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-27-2005, 05:19 PM
damn... always has to be someone that shits all over my parade.

I dont remember what they looked like when I put them in there, a lot of work to find out :D I know that they can be disassembled in some way though.

...the assembly is held in compression by the damper collar nut at the top. As posted before, just clamp the protruding shoulder into a bench vise and twist/rock. Perhaps twist/shout if it lets go and you smack yourself on the forehead with the top of the strut rod...

Anthony

PS: apologies to any Beatles fans...

632 Regal
07-09-2005, 01:38 PM
ohh boy, I am venturing into the unknown today.

GS535i
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Perhaps I need to see a pic to adequately visualize this, but I have Bilstein HDs paired with Dinan springs in a '90 535i. The front cartridges are clamped into the front struts by a top collar: if that is removed, the full, yelllow jacked front insert pulls out as a single assembly. Does this outer jacket unscrew, whatever to reveal an internal bumpstop?
They do appear to hit their (front) bumpstops - can these inserts be dissasembled to get at these bumpstops?

632 Regal
07-09-2005, 05:15 PM
sweet! I get to do this all over again, one of the bilsteins is blown... Im having fun now!

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
07-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Pictures, pictures, pictures...

sweet! I get to do this all over again, one of the bilsteins is blown... Im having fun now!

632 Regal
07-11-2005, 09:23 AM
have to be later after work, actually it is simple. the insert comes out of the strut housing, clamp in vice (not too tight) take a pipe wrench to the BOTTOM silver colored cap and twist, it will slide out enough to pry out with a screwdriver, theres the bumpstop. tap together when done.