PDA

View Full Version : Time for a "cut, polish & wax"

pundit
04-27-2005, 02:57 AM
I decided after my vacation to give the paintwork the once over. Started out with some 'T Cut' hand applied (I know this stuff can be fairly vicious if you aren't careful!) The sap, bird droppings and other general crap were gone but what appeared to be very fine oxidised metallic particles remained embedded it the paint. Most likely brake dust particles I'm told. You could feel the polishing cloth catching on this embedded crap. So I got a Mothers Claybar kit. The claybar really pulls the contamiments out of the paintwork amazingly well. You can feel the difference between the treated and untreated areas. Once I've finished with the Claybar I'm gigving it a final polish with Meguiars Swirl Remover then a wax with Mother's California Gold Carnauba Paste.

I'll then post up some pics! ;)

rickm
04-27-2005, 06:04 AM
I'm going to do the same to my car shortly...I have a few weeks of "mandatory time off" that I need to use up, once I get some sleep and am feeling like a normal person I plan on claying and polishing.

Paul in NZ
04-27-2005, 06:15 AM
mothers three step,except bmw wax for final coat,t takes ages tho,after a few hours i had only got wax on the bonnet

liquidtiger720
04-27-2005, 09:13 AM
i use pinnicle poly clay, poorboys polishes or 3m polishes...would like to try menzerna, and klasse AIO and SG to top it off. I top off the SG with any carnauba that I feel like using.

invest in a porter cable 7424 and some pads. those swirl marks will be gone :)

Ted K
04-27-2005, 09:54 AM
I have used Griots garage on all our cars. After its done even non car people say your car sure looks nice.

I clay & polish them a couple of times a year.Wax about three or four times it I have time.

califblue
04-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Last Friday in preparation for the the Bimmerfest I did a complete detail on my 92' 535i ( engine, interior exterior and undercarriage!)
I have used Griots products exclusively for the last 10 years except I now use the Maguire's tire treatment I won at the 2003 Bimmerfest.
http://www.detailsupplydepot.com/images/MIRG7510.JPG

I will have my photos back ( no digital here) on Friday and post them

Lets put it this way if a Fly lands on my E34 it will break it's legs! :p

tim
04-27-2005, 10:54 AM
i use pinnicle poly clay, poorboys polishes or 3m polishes...would like to try menzerna, and klasse AIO and SG to top it off. I top off the SG with any carnauba that I feel like using.

invest in a porter cable 7424 and some pads. those swirl marks will be gone :)

I do the Menzerna polish (with the intensive in an area that has a defect) with my porter cable and a yellow or white pad. Then the klasse AOI by hand with clay lubricant on the microfiber, and a buff with the PC and a red finishing pad. I find SG to be pretty tricky to get right, so I skip it and go straight to the carnauba, and it really warms it up. Its a good combination, and the menzerna stuff is easy to work with- milky texture with no abrasive gritty feel.

I have a question: does anyone else have pinstriping? I have a scratch that goes right over it and I'm afraid to hit it with a cutting pad and wear away the pinstripe. Blue tape comes right off when the buffer hits it.