PDA

View Full Version : Outside passenger mirror question?

Beemr750
04-26-2005, 12:10 PM
I think these mirrors are a safety hazard because it's easy to be missled to rely on them
without checking the inside mirror. I wonder why they ever come up with mirrors like that.
Is it possible to get normal ones as a replacement?
I do hate em and force myself most of the time not to use it, especially on busy highways.

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Once I set mine up per SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) instructions, shoulder checks were barely even necessary. Here's how:

1) Tilt your head toward the outside of the car (until nearly touching the door glass) and adjust the driver's side mirror until you can just see the side of your car in the lower inner corner of the mirror.

2) Tilt your head toward the center of the car and adjust the passenger side mirror until you can just see the side of your car in the lower inner corner of the mirror.

3) Set each outide mirror's vertical position so you have the horizon line in the center of the glass.

4) Set center mirror so you can just see the top of the rear deck in the bottom of the mirror when you crane your neck slightly.

Now, while driving on the highway, observe cars as they overtake. You will see them in the center mirror first, then they will appear in the outside mirror. As they disappear from the outside mirror you will see them in your peripheral vision.

It feels a bit strange at first as your outide mirrors no longer have any reference points but once you get used to this setup, shoulder checks are only a double check. The major benefit is that you get very little glare from following headlights.

HTH,
Anthony

JonE
04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Anthony, great description of how to set up the mirrors! Now, if I can convince my wife to actually do it this way...

Alan_525i
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm shocked at how many people's cars I get into whos side view mirrors are clearly not in anyway adjusted. One girl I knew told me she never used her mirrors, she'd just look around.