PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Problem- Diagnosis?

maestronomer
04-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Hello- My driver's power window is behaving erratically- 1995 525i 5 speed. Sometimes the window does not respond at all. Other times it will work but verrrry slowly, then it sticks and I have to pull it up to assist the motor. Is it the switch, the motor, regulator....or all of these problems?

Thanks for your response!

632 Regal
04-25-2005, 01:53 PM
take your door panel off, your plastic slider peices are probably shot. Clean the old grease out of the track and replace with new, also spray silicone in the front and rear window tracks. This should make it easy on the motor, go from there.

maestronomer
04-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, that sounds logical. But the motor does not work all the time....should i replace the switch and motor?

632 Regal
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
your switch is dirty, take it out, apart and clean it.

atomicDog
04-25-2005, 08:32 PM
Hello- My driver's power window is behaving erratically- 1995 525i 5 speed. Sometimes the window does not respond at all. Other times it will work but verrrry slowly, then it sticks and I have to pull it up to assist the motor. Is it the switch, the motor, regulator....or all of these problems?

Thanks for your response!

My 1995 525iT (about 140,000 miles on it) had similar issues. The passenger side front window started doing this (going down slowly and sometimes had to be helped going up) and it ended up being the motor. Replaced the motor and all was well. The driver's side front window also started doing the same thing. Replaced the motor, but the window would still go into a bind when going up or down. Found later that my front window guide was bent. You can view this thread for more info on that issue:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11354

maestronomer
04-25-2005, 09:41 PM
I sent you email w/ question re: parts- suppose you can answer here too. Where did you get the rail and motor?

also, i found your pics.

My 1995 525iT (about 140,000 miles on it) had similar issues. The passenger side front window started doing this (going down slowly and sometimes had to be helped going up) and it ended up being the motor. Replaced the motor and all was well. The driver's side front window also started doing the same thing. Replaced the motor, but the window would still go into a bind when going up or down. Found later that my front window guide was bent. You can view this thread for more info on that issue:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11354

atomicDog
04-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Maestronomer, you're quite welcome.

I got the rail at the stealer (in stock, no less - guess this problem is more common than we thought) for about $8. As for the window motor, I got that from BMA. Also, pick up the 6mm nuts and bolts the stealer sells to bolt the motor/regulator in, instead of using rivets. Also, check your door panel attachment clips and pick up some to replace any damaged ones.

Hope this helps..

Woof.. Woof...