PDA

View Full Version : Shaking and Clanking 95 530i

saj3n
04-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I just purchased a 95 530i from an auction. The vehicle for the most part runs good and shifts great. However, when idling, the car starts to shake back and forth. And when accelerating the vehicle has a noticable clanking sounds seems to be coming from the engine compartment. The repetition of the sound increases, as the vehicle accelerates. I have noticed that the emission from the exhaust is visible, a cloudy white color. Any suggestions as to what I should check?

632 Regal
04-25-2005, 12:20 PM
could be ANYTHING. you need to do a little more research as we cant guess with a description this vague. Can you hear the noise with the hood open, what area is the sound from etc.

talltorontoguy
04-25-2005, 12:30 PM
A "clanking" noise usually indicates lower end issues, like bearings or something. Maybe you can take a digital sound recording of it and post it as an MP3 for us to hear.

saj3n
05-02-2005, 09:20 AM
A "clanking" noise usually indicates lower end issues, like bearings or something. Maybe you can take a digital sound recording of it and post it as an MP3 for us to hear.

I believe I have found the issue! I took the vehicle to a bmw reapair shop and they checked the vehicle for me, and I am going to be needed a replacement catalytic converter for the drivers side... that is what's causing the rattling during accelaeration....

emw525E34
05-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Huh ?. cat converter insided rotted out and metal rattling in there!. This would be a first I have heard.

Mobius
05-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Huh ?. cat converter insided rotted out and metal rattling in there!. This would be a first I have heard.Second now - happened on my old Volvo 240. The ceramic honeycomb broke loose and rattled around for a while. Eventually it would manage to rattle into such a position that it would block the exhaust almost completely. It LOVED to do this just as I was accelerating on an on-ramp.

It was.. um.. exciting.. to lose almost all power on a car that could barely make it to 60 in the first place.. ;)

salansky
05-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Sounds like my 540 right now! Just this week it has started to really get loud just below the driver. Clanking at idle and a tin-can like rattling noise upon acceleration. I hope mine is not the same problem - I heard they are quite pricy. Does anyone have an idea what this would cost to repair? Or does anyone have any other idea what might make the same noise, perhaps a loose heat sheild?
I'll take it to a shop at lunch today and try to get her up on a lift and take a lookie.
-jack

saj3n
05-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Sounds like my 540 right now! Just this week it has started to really get loud just below the driver. Clanking at idle and a tin-can like rattling noise upon acceleration. I hope mine is not the same problem - I heard they are quite pricy. Does anyone have an idea what this would cost to repair? Or does anyone have any other idea what might make the same noise, perhaps a loose heat sheild?
I'll take it to a shop at lunch today and try to get her up on a lift and take a lookie.
-jack

I had my mechanic take raise the entire vehicle. He took me under it and as he tapped on the drivers side cat, I heard the dreaded rattling noise that I hear when accelerating. I know with the 530's the OEM price for each cat is around $1200, straight from dealer, however, I did find a much more reasonable price, around $350 for a 530i, and $300 for 540i.

Here's a link for a replacement for your model. I'm jealous that yours is cheaper than mine! :p 94-95 540i (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7970461266&category=33630)

Good Luck!

Mobius
05-04-2005, 01:26 PM
Or does anyone have any other idea what might make the same noise, perhaps a loose heat sheild?
-jackYeah, a loose heat shield can make a very similar noise.

Easy way to find out is to, ah.. 'kick the cat' :)

If it makes a sort of grinding, ceramic-on-metal noise, the insides have fallen apart. Metal clanging noise? Heat shield.

I know on my car, the heat shield around the pipes that come off the manifold is barely secured and rattles a good bit.

Jon K
05-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I had my mechanic take raise the entire vehicle. He took me under it and as he tapped on the drivers side cat, I heard the dreaded rattling noise that I hear when accelerating. I know with the 530's the OEM price for each cat is around $1200, straight from dealer, however, I did find a much more reasonable price, around $350 for a 530i, and $300 for 540i.

Here's a link for a replacement for your model. I'm jealous that yours is cheaper than mine! :p 94-95 540i (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7970461266&category=33630)

Good Luck!

Magnaflow aftermarket Cat is $80 for each, i got two for my custom exhaust on 525. Each has a 4.2L filter capacity. DONT BUY OEM!

saj3n
05-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Magnaflow aftermarket Cat is $80 for each, i got two for my custom exhaust on 525. Each has a 4.2L filter capacity. DONT BUY OEM!

Where did you find these at?! How much extra work is there to modify the Cats to fit, or will they be a direct bolt? Do you have a link for these? I am excited! How about a price on a Transmission Oil Cooler, or Thrust arms. (Trying to get the best prices). :D

Tiger
05-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Magnaflow route is the best... all it is required is cut old one out and weld new one in... competent shop can do it. BMA Autoparts for all your BMW parts... where most of us get the parts from.

saj3n
05-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Magnaflow route is the best... all it is required is cut old one out and weld new one in... competent shop can do it. BMA Autoparts for all your BMW parts... where most of us get the parts from.

Thanks Tiger, I will go ahead and go with this method.

Jon K
05-05-2005, 09:29 AM
Thanks Tiger, I will go ahead and go with this method.

Saj3n i replied to your PM

Tiger
05-05-2005, 09:45 AM
According to Magnaflow, you need their 94005 cat conveter... you got two of em so change them both at the same time.

This online store got them for $65 each!!!! Wow... anyway shop around.

http://www.hopupracing.com/ma94ovsenoai.html

saj3n
05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
According to Magnaflow, you need their 94005 cat conveter... you got two of em so change them both at the same time.

This online store got them for $65 each!!!! Wow... anyway shop around.

http://www.hopupracing.com/ma94ovsenoai.html

I was thinking about a performance exhaust as well... Trying to get a little deeper sound than the car's stock system... Any suggestions?

helm
09-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Maybe just the Cat bracket that needs tightening or to be replaced!!!

callen
09-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Just bought new cat for my 530 from BMA. Can't wait to install...should be here this week.

saj3n
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
Does your ride make sounds as well