PDA

View Full Version : Federal Tires

jplacson
04-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Has anyone ever heard of these?

Are they any good?

I'm about to get a new set... and I was just surprised to find that these tires cost 2x as much as Goodyear Eagle F1s (the new GS D3)

I'm wondering if they really are 2x as good as well.

Rory535i
04-24-2005, 09:08 AM
you serious about the price!?! that's really expensive! i got them new with my 17's and they cost me about 70euros each. they're an australian manufacturer i think. i thought they were very good. good in heavy rain but not so good in damp conditions but great in the dry. maybe i thought they were good because of the cheap price! there's no way they're worth more than eagle's!! they're the daddy! i'd take them over federals any day!

jplacson
04-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Ya... weird... maybe it's cuz Federals are imported into the Phil... vs. Goodyear who has a main plant here. GY F1s are redesigned for our climate, so cold weather is out... and higher tolerance for heat and high humidity are added.

Ok, thanks! I just thought there was something special about Federals the price was just way out there at over US$200 per tire. F1s are about US$120/tire here (235/40 R18) And they do look bad a$$! ;)

Rory535i
04-24-2005, 09:47 AM
yeah defo go for the eagles. had them on a different car and they're fantastic in hot weather. federals aren't worth that at all in my opinion.

Dash01
04-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Have you considered Avon Tech M550 tires? Check the TireRack website and ratings for further info. Also worth consideration are Pirelli Zero Nero and Fuzion ZRi. These Avon and Pirelli models are all-season, whereas the Fuzion RZRi is a summer tire. May be worth a shot.

Based on this research and input from others, I just bought a set of Avon Tech M550 tires for my Porsche, but have not received them, so have no personal experience yet.

Jr ///M5
04-24-2005, 10:51 AM
While you are doing your research on tires, look up the specification section on the tires you are comparing. What you are looking for is the weight of the tire. I've found that when I was comparing several different tires, the weight spread over 6 different tires was as much as 6 pounds each, in size 235-45-17's. That is quite a bit of rotating mass, especially at each corner of the car. The Michelin PS-2 was the lightest at 22 pounds. The heavier tire was the Avon at 28 pounds. The Pirelli P Zero Nero M/S came in at 24 pounds for standard, and 27 pounds for run flats.

You might want to consider this information when deciding, it would be like getting extra horsepower.

Jr

Dash01
04-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Very good point, which I took into consideration, particularly in light of unsprung wheel weight and rotating mass factors. OTOH, a heavier tire may be the result of better sidewalls (crisper handling?) or tread that lasts a lot longer. No matter what tire you choose, it'll always be a compromise among the various factors.

However, I also talked to Lee at TireRack, who is one of the tire testers and who has 30+ years of autocross experience. They use BMW 530 cars on their test circuits, and have some very knowledgeable testers and objective procedures on a given set of cars and a given set of test conditions. As of now, I have no personal experience, so necessarily trust the judgement of the TireRack guys. Presumably, their input is more useful and objective than anecdotal evidence and "surveys" from various tire consumers who lack such comparative references.

Anyway, their recomendations may be worth considering, since the whole tire selection process is pretty esoteric: Probably worth a shot.

l tnt
While you are doing your research on tires, look up the specification section on the tires you are comparing. What you are looking for is the weight of the tire. I've found that when I was comparing several different tires, the weight spread over 6 different tires was as much as 6 pounds each, in size 235-45-17's. That is quite a bit of rotating mass, especially at each corner of the car. The Michelin PS-2 was the lightest at 22 pounds. The heavier tire was the Avon at 28 pounds. The Pirelli P Zero Nero M/S came in at 24 pounds for standard, and 27 pounds for run flats.

You might want to consider this information when deciding, it would be like getting extra horsepower.

Jr

jplacson
04-24-2005, 11:40 AM
No I haven't cuz Avon Tech aren't available here in the Philippines.

We only have the usual... Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Pirelli.

Some importers bring in Yokohama, Dunlop (ugh...these are my tires now... lousy), Kumho, Continental, Nitto.

But imports are 2x the price, and don't carry warranty. Goodyear is the only one that offers a lifetime warranty on the F1s. Considering our road hazards here... it's worth it. They will replace your tire with one of equal wear if it gets damaged in any way for the life of the tire. Nails... road spikes... potholes... etc. are all covered. :)

Then I run over to Bridgestone to get N2 fills... hahahahaha... lifetime top-up.

Mobius
04-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Maybe Federal has a high-end line, but in the states, they're usually the tires featured in the "FOUR TIRES FOR $100!!!" ads.

jplacson
04-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm sure they do... seeing as that my size requirements (235/40 R18) only had one option. But still... at 2x the price of the new Eagle F1s... unless they have 2x the grip, AND 2x the wear rating... US$900 for a set is just ridiculous.

bahnstormer
04-24-2005, 11:53 PM
u'd be really rich to get those when the f1's have lifetime warranty
that'd be the last set u buy lol =]

goodyear guy - how did u get nails into all 4 tires?
you - just replace em sonny :D

Kalevera
04-25-2005, 01:03 AM
...they'll replace it with one of equal wear? How in the world do they do that?! :)

I bet they have a machine that cuts the tread off...hehehe.

best, whit

emw525E34
04-25-2005, 04:01 AM
Hey Bahn,

Warranty applied to defects only!. You will wear them Goodyears out quicker than normal since they are rather soft compound. I would go for Yoko AVS sports for 18s, used them before and darn grippy and nice enough ride.

Bridgestone G3 are best dry and wet compromise. Long lasting tires. Highly recommended.

jplacson
04-25-2005, 07:53 AM
Not quite the exact wear... but close... something like 75% and up = brand new tire. They do have tires that have been 'tested' at their test facilities... as well as showroom tires... tires that have been traded in (some people swap almost new tires in cuz they change mags for a diff size)

I asked your exact question when they told me about the warranty... hehehehe. I said "What will you do? Drive around as much as I have then give me the tire after?" hahahaha

jplacson
04-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Frankie... nope... Eagle F1s come with road hazard warranty. Nails.. potholes... slashed tires... are covered. Just with the F1s anyway. The rest of their line are defect only warranties.

"PLAN EXCLUSIONS
Tyres damaged due to Road Hazards except Eagle F1.
NOTE: Tampering of any kind will automatically invalidate the warranty (e.g., tampered serial number, ply rating, size of tyre, etc.).

THE ROAD HAZARD PROTECTION PLAN
WHAT IS THE GOODYEAR ROAD HAZARD PROTECTION PLAN?
It’s an extended tyre protection program designed to help you maximize the life of your Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres by protecting them from whatever road hazards you may encounter.
WHO’S COVERED?
The policy covers only EAGLE F1 tyres purchased. You can avail of the plan if:
# You are the original purchaser or authorized agent of the original purchaser of new Goodyear EAGLE F1 tyres bearing the Goodyear manufacturing identification number. The plan is not transferable to anyone who might purchase your vehicle.
# Your tyres have been used only on the vehicle where they were originally mounted, or on the vehicle identified in the plan registration form.

WHAT IS ROAD HAZARD?
It refers to failure of a tyre caused by a puncture, cut, bruise or impact break during the course of normal driving in a maintained road. An example of road hazard would be tyre failure due to nails, broken glass or potholes."