PDA

View Full Version : 525i auto trans (A4S310R) fluid leak

Alex_525i
04-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a high mile (200k) 1991 525i for commuting to college. I had been looking for a vehicle to fit my limited budget for some time -- did not expect it to be a BMW. The car belonged to a co-worker of my Dad. He was the original owner. The vehicle was well maintained and gave us all the service records. The fellow said the only know problem is a transmission fluid leak (trans is A4S310R). He thought it was the rear seal. My Dad and I pressure washed the vehicle underbelly, drove the car a few miles, put it on ramps and checked out the leak. It is definately not the rear seal or the seal at the shifter. At first we thought it was the front sump as the bolts were not tightened to spec. It had recently gotten a fluid filter change a Jiffy Lube. We tightened them to spec and repeated the wash, drive and inspection. While the fluid ends up around the front sump we suspect it is coming from forward of that. We supose there is a front seal that is the culprit. If that is the case I guess the tranny would have to come out to service. I am not sure a 200k mile tranny is worth servicing. Cannot afford to get a rebuilt unit. We will probably just live with the leak and be diligent about checking and adding fluid.

Any similar experiencies, notions or comments would be appriciated.

ryan roopnarine
04-23-2005, 10:50 AM
this might be it if its coming from the front case

http://plaza.ufl.edu/rroopnar/SI%20%20Pendelum%20Shifting,%20Delayed%20Gear%20En gagement%20or%20Adapter%20Cas.PDF

632 Regal
04-23-2005, 11:55 AM
why dont my stupid browser load PDFs??? This is pi$$ing me off...what a pain.

Sounds like the front seal, which means you will have to pull the trans out to service. If the trans was taken care of it could last forever or die tomorrow. Its a luck of the draw, some last 10k some last 100k etc etc.