PDA

View Full Version : Tweeters

Rory535i
04-23-2005, 01:24 AM
I was considering upgrading my speakers as they are the last speakers I have left to do so but when I went to take them out today the ones that are there look pretty good already. They've bmw logos on them so i thought they were orignial until i found another speaker wire tucked underneath them that isn't bein used. Anyone have any ideas why there's two sets of speaker wires going to them? the previous owner had an aftermarket head unit in the car so i reckon this has got something to do with it. also, is it worth changing these tweeters? judging by the size of the magnet on them they appear to be of good quality.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1094&stc=1
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1095&stc=1
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1096&stc=1

jplacson
04-23-2005, 01:37 AM
OMG!!! PLEASE get rid of them!!!!

These are ancient Nokia speakers... they are probably built well... but they sound about as good as the speakerphone on your Nokia phone!!! Hahahahaha!!!

The wires you see are the ORIGINAL wiring harness... the wires connected are now the new ones from the new aftermarket HU.

I still kept mine after I upgrades to components... just in case I sell my car and the next owner wants all the original stuff... besides, it does have the BMW roundel.

But these tweeters sound like crap. Go ahead and change them.

Rory535i
04-23-2005, 01:42 AM
ok thanks. i don't think i ever noticed their crappiness as a result of having good speakers everywhere else! is there a particular type I should get? i saw some today but they were ones that look like you just stick them to the interior of your car. obviously i need something that has no cover or anything on them and will screw back into the original housing. when i go back to the shop what should i ask for?

jplacson
04-23-2005, 01:46 AM
Oh, any will do... most of the new tweeters are "surface mount" ones.

What I did was, I removed the old tweeters... so that leaves you a small cup area.

I just mounted the new tweeters INSIDE that area since new tweeters are self contained and don't need to be 'mounted'. They fit, dome, grille, and all.. I even kept the rotating base so that the tweeters are angled towards the cabin.

I secured the new tweeters with double-sided tape, then replaced the grille. Looks OEM, no one can see the difference unless you look inside then you'll see silver domes inside through the grille. I'll try and take a photo and post it in a while. :)

Rory535i
04-23-2005, 01:49 AM
good idea, think that's what i'll do! thanks again.

Mobius
04-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Hah. Y'know, that's funny, because my friend who runs Infinity Kappa Perfects likes my stock tweeters better than his (as do I).

The problem is that the stock amp is ****. Replace it, and everything is golden.

Rory535i
04-23-2005, 04:08 AM
The problem is that the stock amp is ****. Replace it, and everything is golden.

i have a sony head unit. 4x50 watts

Mobius
04-23-2005, 04:36 AM
i have a sony head unit. 4x50 wattsSo what are you planning on running as a crossover?

Rory535i
04-23-2005, 06:20 AM
So what are you planning on running as a crossover?

no everything works fine, i just wanted to change my speakers. the previous owner has it all wired up so that it all works. i've had the sony in for over a year now and all i did was plug in the connections and away she went. never had any problems with it.

jplacson
04-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Does your friend run through the stock amp? While you run though a better amp?

I'm running an Alpine amp with a crossover for the 6 speakers in the car. Separate Soundstream amp for the sub.

Jon K
04-23-2005, 01:42 PM
I can't remember if that resistor/capacitor is stock on the back of the tweeter. Thats a crossover but the stock amp should be doing all the cross over work so it looks like someone bypassed the stock amp and is running little baby cross overs at each tweeter.

I myself am running MB Quart Q series 3-way (6.5" kick, 4" mid, 1" tweeter) up front. It took some fabbing to get everything to fit, the tweeters were the easiest part. If you like BRIGHT music, crisp clean fronts, then MB Quarts are what you want, they're insanely sharp, I go in my sister stock stereo 530i and it leaves much to be desired.

jplacson
04-23-2005, 09:17 PM
I think they're stock... cuz mine had those as well. Either way, the stock tweeters and stock corssover/amp aren't great.

I mean, maybe back in 1989 or whenever they were made... but not by today's standards.

Mobius
04-23-2005, 10:49 PM
I think they're stock... cuz mine had those as well. Either way, the stock tweeters and stock corssover/amp aren't great.Ookay - personally, I'd replace the midbass speakers before I'd replace the tweeters. They honestly sound quite crisp and transparent when they're amplified properly.

jplacson
04-23-2005, 11:28 PM
I'd go component... hit both at the same time, plus you get the proper crossover.

Rory535i
04-24-2005, 02:03 AM
I'd go component... hit both at the same time, plus you get the proper crossover.

I have 3 way pioneer speakers in the footwells and 3 ways in the rear too and they perform great off the sony head unit.

Jon K
04-24-2005, 02:22 AM
I have 3 way pioneer speakers in the footwells and 3 ways in the rear too and they perform great off the sony head unit.

coaxials arent ideal for the front sound stage

Rory535i
04-24-2005, 02:26 AM
coaxials arent ideal for the front sound stage

what is then?

Mobius
04-24-2005, 02:40 AM
what is then?A component set up. You'll never hear any of the (very directional) high-range from a speaker that's down in the footwell. Mid and low frequencies, sure - but putting a tweeter down at your feet will garauntee you'll never hear it.

Jon K
04-24-2005, 02:51 AM
A component set up. You'll never hear any of the (very directional) high-range from a speaker that's down in the footwell. Mid and low frequencies, sure - but putting a tweeter down at your feet will garauntee you'll never hear it.

2-way components are good, meaning a 5.25 or 6.5" woofer down low and a 1" tweeter in the door. But I have custom MB Quart 3-way, 6.5" kick, 4" dash, and 1" tweeters wit 3-way crossovers. Very good range.

Rory535i
04-24-2005, 02:52 AM
A component set up. You'll never hear any of the (very directional) high-range from a speaker that's down in the footwell. Mid and low frequencies, sure - but putting a tweeter down at your feet will garauntee you'll never hear it.

i didnt buy them for that reason. they were a good price and a good power output(rms or whatever). I'm happy with their performance. This thread wasn't about them anyway, i was asking for advice on the tweeters in the dash. I saw a set of Boss audio tweeters for AU$20. are tweeters generally this cheap or are they just **** ones?