PDA

View Full Version : Dual Mass Flywheel, info's req'd

Claude
04-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Since i have this car (many years) i hear a cluck, cluck, cluck noise when i turn off the ignition and according to my local BMW dealer that noise is mainly generate by the dual mass flywheel of the car, that nothing could really be done to fix it (unless expansive flywheel replacement), that beside the fact that is bothersome no further problem could happen to the flywheel.

I always take that for cash and effectively a did'd saw development of any other problem.

I am not a mecanic, know only basic thinks about flywheel, clutch, transmission and how the interoperate; but never found out good picture / schematic and explanation as how such noise could be develop at the flywheel level.

Could you put some light on that for me please ?

Derek A.
04-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Have you checked the archieves ? This subject has been covered many times. There is a flywheel alternative replacement for these cars. The previous generation 535i flywheel/clutch setup can be used in place of the dual mass e34 unit.

Jeff N.
04-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Derek's right.

The Dual Mass flywheel is basically a two piece unit that has an elastomer inner section connecting the two parts. I believe that elastomer slowly fails allowing the two parts to "clatter" on idle and shutdown.

The simple and free solution the noise is to press in the clutch on shut down. That should quiet it.

Or, you can get a single mass flywheel from the E28 and have it installed. Bolts right in but you'll have to swap the clutch plate and disc to the E28 unit at the same time. Salvage yards get about $50 for an E28 unit; a clutch kit is about $200. Consider doing it the the next time you need a clutch.

Jose
04-23-2005, 02:38 AM
Thatīs right, it bolts straight on, but there si one little thing to keep in mind if you want to keep the tranny in one piece. You have to change from ATF oil to regular transmission oil. This because the dual mass flywheel absorbs the direct strain on your gear when pulling up or under hard accelaration. Removing the dual mass means you remove the " gear damper " so thicker oil is needed to protect the gears.

Derek A.
04-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Huh??

The dual mass clutch eliminates the springs that are normall found on the cluch disc - as the elastomer takes care of the dampening. The oil really has nothing to do with the performance of the clutch dampening. It IS reccomended that these trannies run Redline MTL. Its a superior oil and helps out the shifint characterstics.

Thatīs right, it bolts straight on, but there si one little thing to keep in mind if you want to keep the tranny in one piece. You have to change from ATF oil to regular transmission oil. This because the dual mass flywheel absorbs the direct strain on your gear when pulling up or under hard accelaration. Removing the dual mass means you remove the " gear damper " so thicker oil is needed to protect the gears.

Bill R.
04-23-2005, 08:06 AM
bulletin from the factory about it, It doesn't need replacement .http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/dualmass-1.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/flywheel-3.jpg

Since i have this car (many years) i hear a cluck, cluck, cluck noise when i turn off the ignition and according to my local BMW dealer that noise is mainly generate by the dual mass flywheel of the car, that nothing could really be done to fix it (unless expansive flywheel replacement), that beside the fact that is bothersome no further problem could happen to the flywheel.

I always take that for cash and effectively a did'd saw development of any other problem.

I am not a mecanic, know only basic thinks about flywheel, clutch, transmission and how the interoperate; but never found out good picture / schematic and explanation as how such noise could be develop at the flywheel level.

Could you put some light on that for me please ?

Bill R.
04-23-2005, 08:09 AM
are found on the clutch disc only in the flywheel , along with a special grease filling the chambers acting as the oil on a shock absorber does.

Huh??

The dual mass clutch eliminates the springs that are normall found on the cluch disc - as the elastomer takes care of the dampening. The oil really has nothing to do with the performance of the clutch dampening. It IS reccomended that these trannies run Redline MTL. Its a superior oil and helps out the shifint characterstics.

Jeff N.
04-23-2005, 08:48 AM

bulletin from the factory about it, It doesn't need replacement .http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/dualmass-1.jpg
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/flywheel-3.jpg

Bill R.
04-23-2005, 09:10 AM

Jeff N.
04-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Nope. Block's at the machinist now getting tanked. I'll see if I can't get a couple when I go back up there to discuss next steps.

Hmm...wait...I may have some now that I think about it. Let me check.

Mobius
04-23-2005, 05:56 PM
Great. So, now should I be regretting that E32 flywheel and clutch kit I have sitting in my garage waiting to be installed?

Ugh. No. I'm still doing it. That damn flywheel rattles all the damn time. If it just did it when I shut the car off, it'd be one thing - but it sounds like there's someone down there swinging metal bars around all the damn time. It's going. I can't stand it.

Claude
04-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Mobius, you for sure report what i will call now "the dual mass flywheel effect" more completly than i did (i am the one who posted that thread).

Effectively pushing down the clutch before shutting the ignition reduce the noise level, let's say by more than half, but this rattle noise is still there.

I also hear it when the engine is idling, in that case a rattle noise that fluctuate in intensity.

You have a 1993, i have a 1989 and we have the same problem, so i wonder if:
1. all manual BMW (E34, E39 and other's) are equip with a dual mass flywheel and
2. if they are all subject to that bad rattle noise.
I hope BMW have upgrade those flywheel on new generations of there manual car so to avoid this problem.

Claude
04-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks Bill and Dereck for those schematics and explanations.

What is refer and showned as the hydraulically-damped dual mass flywheel for M30 on 7 serie after 1988 is there for shure the type that i have on my 535i 1989 ?

Bill R.
04-23-2005, 11:57 PM
makes a rattling noise besides the flywheel. Its also normal.

Thanks Bill and Dereck for those schematics and explanations.

What is refer and showned as the hydraulically-damped dual mass flywheel for M30 on 7 serie after 1988 is there for shure the type that i have on my 535i 1989 ?

Claude
04-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Thanks again Bill.

Tell me more. The nocking noise that we are talking about is certainly much lower on a new vehicule that a used one like mine, does the difference in the rattling noise generate at the flywheel level due to a leak of the grease from the damping chambers, or a any contacts between both plates of the flywheel, or something else ?

In other words, what and perhaps normal wear in the flywheel composants is the main cause of this rattleling noise ?

We must admit that even if this is consider a normal fact of life with a manual BMW, it's rather embarrassing for the owners like us and make a potential buyer of our cars at the least a bit skeptical on the mecanical condition of the car.