PDA

View Full Version : '99 540i Dash Lit like X-Mas Tree!

BUMMER_BIMMER
04-21-2005, 07:24 PM
My dash is lit like a Christmas Tree:

BRAKE warning illuminated
ABS warning illuminated
The CAUTION that represents ABS and traction control is illuminated. The speedometer and odometer are inoperative.

I was under a hard acceleration then my dash lit up. I think the traction control went off as I burned rubber on the hard acceleration, the traction control has prevented this in the past.

How can I read any codes to point me to a diagnostic? Thanks in advance for any support.

PhilipJCaputo
04-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Search for "stop test" on this board.. you should find what your looking for. Its basically something like with the key in the second position, fully depress the gas pedal 5 times quickly, then read the codes that come up.... I hear its tricky to get the right timing on the gas presses.

also check out www.bmwe34.net

peks
04-21-2005, 11:03 PM
thats the "stomp" test.. turn the key to on position and press the gas to the floor 5 times in the first five secs. dont know if this works on the e39 and dont really think itll tell you anything in this case if it did. but worth a try..

BUMMER_BIMMER
04-22-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks for your reply, after a few searches I figured it was stomp and not stop. I ran my OBDII code scanner on it and tried the stomp test. There are no codes.

Check engine light is about the only diagnostic light that isn't on. I think that's the light that indicates codes are latched.

Maybe there are some extra diagnostics through the BMW connector under the hood, but nothing that the stomp test uncovers.

Am I at the mercy of the dealership? I am proficient with an oscilloscope, I can measure any signal in the car, I just wish I knew where to start. since it is a 1999, are there any manuals available for this year? Thanks.

talltorontoguy
04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
I had the same issue... first noticed flickering under hard braking. Eventually everything lit up, then after time the car died.

Turned out that it was the alternator that had failed. Apparently the systems on the car shut down one by one, starting with ASC and gradually moving on through the others in an effort to conserve power to get home.

BUMMER_BIMMER
04-24-2005, 12:34 PM
Thanks!, It has been intermittant, I let the car sit for 24 Hrs., it seemed after it cooled off, the problem went away. Then I drove it to the Central Valley in CA, and it was hotter there, the problem came back. I'll give the Alternator a looksee. I appreciate your suggestion.

632 Regal
04-24-2005, 01:04 PM
you could try to disconnect the battery leads for a while and maybe the codes will reset. then its going to be easier to isolate any problems, hopefully one at a time.