PDA

View Full Version : Regular or synthetic oil?

ilya
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
what kind of oil is supposed to be used in a 95 525i?
is regular ok, or will it totally screw up my car?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Thud

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11130&highlight=oil

Robin-535im
04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Hi Ilya,

Regular will be just fine as long as you change it often. Some people are more fanatical than others, and most will tell you that there is an improvement in long term engine health using synthetic. Does that justify spending three times the cost in buying synthetic over regular oil? Maybe not. These engines will go hundreds of thousands of miles with regular oil, and probably a few more miles if synthetic were used instead.

As for me, it depends on how much oil it's drinking that week!

- Robin

632 Regal
04-21-2005, 07:17 PM
If you have any internal engine problem, overheating, clearance issues, beat the **** outta your car it will run 10k+ on synthetic where dino oil will FAIL! This is a beaten subject I know and the synthetic is my preferance, if it's a mony issue about 3 bucks extra a quart for oil you shouldnt have a car. I use my used oil in my lawn monster, generator and powerwasher cause...just cause. I have not had ANY oil related problem or failure in over 20 years. I don't want to play that anymore.

Regular will be just fine as long as you change it often.

TheDuke
04-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I switched to synthetic 2 weeks ago; so far I'm pretty impressed. Some of the noises actually went away, and the engine seems to be quieter.

ilya
04-21-2005, 07:23 PM
if i was changing the oil myself, i'd have no problem getting synthetic
but i have to take it to EZ Lube or Jiffy Lube this time. i'm in LA in college right now, part of the Trojans family, and really can't change the oil in the parking garage, so i have to take it to a "professional" (so they call themselves).
regular is $40, synthetic is $70. to me, that sounds way too high but it's Los Angeles, so who knows. i'm driving my car back to Oregon in about two weeks, which is roughly 900 miles. i haven't changed the oil for a while and that includes a trip down here from oregon in the winter.

oh also, does Autozone sell AC richarging kits? i couldn't find it in their catalog on their website, and last time i bought the kit at GI Joes (not sure if you have those in your area).

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2005, 07:25 PM
You'll save money and become more intimate with your BMW.

The boys that work at the jiffy places are often no brighter than a box of used oil filters and could careless about your car.

ilya
04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
oh and if it helps, the last oil change was in fact with synthetic oil..

ilya
04-21-2005, 07:26 PM
bob, i wish i could change it myself. but i'm not allowed to do it in the parking garage at school.

632 Regal
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I used to make parachutes for GI Joes and throw them off bridges...we talkin about the same thing?

TheGeak
04-21-2005, 07:27 PM
I just started running Synthetic in the focus. I LOVE IT so far. Mobil 1 5w20 here and its a much better improvement over dinosaur juice. I would highly recomend synthetic....

ilya
04-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I used to make parachutes for GI Joes and throw them off bridges...we talkin about the same thing?
haha i dont think we are. GI Joes Sports and Auto Store is what i'm talking about. I'm not sure if they're only in Oregon and Washington, though that's possible.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2005, 07:31 PM
All you need is a wrench

Oil

Oil change box (that cardboard box filled with old belly button lint)

Filter ( maybe a filter or strap wrench in case the monkeies at the jiffy place cranked it on)

Go to the mall, girlfriend's house etc.

liquidtiger720
04-21-2005, 08:49 PM
i feel stupid. I spilled about 1 qt of oil all over my driveway today when changing my sisters oil. I forgot to move the pan with the oil as the oil level moved down (I was distracted by mobil one bottles).

Did mobil one change thier formula? I have one from decemberish and just got a new box today. They came in different bottles and had different API services. both 10w30

PatrickPGH
04-22-2005, 02:09 PM
I second this suggestion. Go find a parking lot in a little used section of town. Go on a Saturday or Sunday so no one bothers you. During the spring and summer I do most of the work on my car in lot behind a warehouse.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=north+ave+pittsburgh+pa+15212&ll=40.455480,-80.016217&spn=0.006802,0.010107&t=k&hl=en

Seasonal problems shouldn't be a problem in SoCal so you'll be able to work all year long :)

Pat.

PS. Google Maps and satellite pictures rule.

All you need is a wrench

Oil

Oil change box (that cardboard box filled with old belly button lint)

Filter ( maybe a filter or strap wrench in case the monkeies at the jiffy place cranked it on)

Go to the mall, girlfriend's house etc.

ryan roopnarine
04-22-2005, 02:59 PM
find any semi-ghetto or student housing apartment away from your school and do it there...the more units in it the better, more neglect the better. its not worth it for me to let someone else change it, and its not worth the hassle to me to have to change it every 3k or so with regular...if you have an oil leak and require regular replenishment it might be a different story. unless i go really expensive, its usually double the cost to do syn over conventional, which means i have to change it half as much (maybe less) for the same price, plus all the good stuff about syn. autozone does sell the recharger, so does discount auto parts/checkers, i was in DAP today, they have a little recharger kit for 29.95. freon has gone up about $4 per can in the last 6 months or so, i'd expect to pay about 10-12 per can from an autoparts store, 7 or so from walmart.

Robin-535im
04-24-2005, 09:42 AM
If you have any internal engine problem, overheating, clearance issues, beat the **** outta your car it will run 10k+ on synthetic where dino oil will FAIL! This is a beaten subject I know and the synthetic is my preferance, if it's a mony issue about 3 bucks extra a quart for oil you shouldnt have a car. I use my used oil in my lawn monster, generator and powerwasher cause...just cause. I have not had ANY oil related problem or failure in over 20 years. I don't want to play that anymore.

I'd like to see the data to support that claim. Regular oil has been used in many more engines than synthetic, and there is no widespread epidemic of engines failing prematurely.

Sure, synthetic is better, but only a little better, and only in extreme conditions. If you change it regularly and don't drive your car 35 miles at top speed with no coolant in the engine, (not that anyone would do that to their *own* car, but maybe to an ex wife's) regular will last a long time.

I still use synthetic because I'm anal about it like everyone else. But regular oil will not harm your engine.

DueyT
04-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Jeff skimps on his lawn mower and power washer....I on the other hand, use the 'left-over' Mobil1 0W40 that doesn't fit in my M60B40.... :p

Cheers,
Duey

632 Regal
04-24-2005, 12:05 PM
and I am talking about extreme conditions, It's not worth it for me to use regular oil for a lot of reasons. Most reasons are in my head I guess, I didn't document the thrashing I have done over the years and dont care to. In an extreme case its not just "a little better".

I'd like to see the data to support that claim. Regular oil has been used in many more engines than synthetic, and there is no widespread epidemic of engines failing prematurely.

Sure, synthetic is better, but only a little better, and only in extreme conditions. If you change it regularly and don't drive your car 35 miles at top speed with no coolant in the engine, (not that anyone would do that to their *own* car, but maybe to an ex wife's) regular will last a long time.

I still use synthetic because I'm anal about it like everyone else. But regular oil will not harm your engine.

Scott C
04-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Do a google search for Toyota sludge (that is all you need to find the problem). I had the great pleasure of having one of these vehicles (97 camry). You will also find that synthetic prevents the problem (as well as very frequent oil changes). It does not take long to realize the the benefits outweigh the cost of the synthetic (not to start an oil preference war)

Scott

632 Regal
04-24-2005, 12:32 PM
This is an ongoing subject that "flows" both ways. There are a lot of people that do not understand the synthetic advantage and just see a price tag on it. I just want them to at least understand that for whatever reason I would recomend a synthetic over regular oil. Ahhh the good old days of sludge and blocked head return bosses, wasted camshafts, rod knocks that developed in 5 minutes of beating on your car...those were the days.

Scott C
04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
This is an ongoing subject that "flows" both ways. There are a lot of people that do not understand the synthetic advantage and just see a price tag on it. I just want them to at least understand that for whatever reason I would recomend a synthetic over regular oil. Ahhh the good old days of sludge and blocked head return bosses, wasted camshafts, rod knocks that developed in 5 minutes of beating on your car...those were the days.

The sad part is the good old days have not left us! Toyota had this problem as recent as 2000 and there is a secret warranty for motor replacement (but you have to PROVE you changed the oil per the schedule). The problem supposedly was due to people that went longer miles with the dino than they should have as best I can tell.

Scott

rockyfeller
04-24-2005, 11:08 PM
LOL! I did the same thing last year. What sucks is my house is just 3 yrs old and the previously pristine driveway has a beautiful Valdez stain. Thanks Dad! He told me the oil catch pan could hold 8 quarts.....More like 6.....2 ended up on the driveway. OH and I was STUPID enough to strip the drain plug URGGH! Shoulda not been lazy and torqued. Ended up with more hassle than ease. Well I know what NOT to do during a seemingly simple oil change.

Paul in NZ
04-25-2005, 03:43 AM
Ended up with more hassle than ease. Well I know what NOT to do during a seemingly simple oil change.

the most effective learning technique...i use synthetic oil for only one reason.Being 5w it circulates insantly thereby reducing the most severe engine wear...ie at start up.I offset its overall cost by running for the full service interval,with dino i would change halfway......

Qsilver7
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
oh also, does Autozone sell AC richarging kits? i couldn't find it in their catalog on their website, and last time i bought the kit at GI Joes (not sure if you have those in your area).
Just was at Wal-Mart yesterday...and noticed several different kits & several different brands. Some even had meters on them and the prices ranged from $9.99-up. Might want stop in and check them out. :D

granit_silber
04-25-2005, 11:05 AM
what kind of oil is supposed to be used in a 95 525i?
is regular ok, or will it totally screw up my car?

This might speed up your oil changes so you could use the garage.

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exec/product_id/251/category_id/16/search_year/1992/search_model/48

-ashley

JonE
04-25-2005, 11:52 AM
So, can't you just wait until you drive home to change the oil? If it hasn't been like 10,000 miles with your present synthetic, maybe you could do it at home.

ilya
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
it has been about 5000-6000 miles since the last oil change (synthetic)

i just think it's better to change it now before i drive another 1000 miles at 80 mph on I5 from cali to oregon.

632 Regal
04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
your fine, thats not even close to excessive. 8000 is an average change.