PDA

View Full Version : Freeze 12

Scott C
04-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Well my 95 525 air conditioning isn't going to make it this year.
So my plan was to put put in a new expansion valve, rec/dryer, replace the leaky O-rings and then possibly put in a new compressor if it is bad. I see that R134a may be on its way to join R12 and was wondering if anybody has been brave enough to try the Freeze R12 that supposedly can work in both R12 and R134a systems. I have learned in my old age to ask the experienced before jumping out to the bleeding edge of new products, so I am!

Anybody really use this stuff? Would you put in a car that came with R134a?
It sure seems "affordable"?
Thanks,
Scott

Kalevera
04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
All I know is...unless it's mainstream, don't use it if you're planning on keeping your A/C system for a while. Reason being: the next time a mechanic goes to discharge the system, if his recycling machine can't identify the composition as something that it is compatible with, he'll have to replace the entire shebang. I think a lot of people get scammed on these "quick A/C refill" cans you see in wal mart and the like -- sure, it might work for a few weeks, but don't expect the next bill from the mechanic to be very pretty.

Be sure to read Brett's dissertation regarding the subject on his web site http://www.koalamotorsport.com.

best, whit

Kalevera
04-21-2005, 05:03 PM
Edit: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

Scott C
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Edit: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

Thanks much, R134a it is!

Seems like there is a lot going in with the enviro protection groups to eliminate R134a as well (like R12 was forced out of the market due to perceived concerns)

Scott

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2005, 05:38 PM
I just had mine done last week for $95.00 with R134, It was dealer converted years ago.

The shop I used does both R12 & R134, but R12 is a few $$$$ more
They are real strict with the recovery and recharge part.

They won't recharge a system if it shows any sign of a leakage and or damage.

They test everything for over an hour before recharging, and then add a dye to the system for future leak detection.

pundit
04-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Well my 95 525 air conditioning isn't going to make it this year.
So my plan was to put put in a new expansion valve, rec/dryer, replace the leaky O-rings and then possibly put in a new compressor if it is bad. I see that R134a may be on its way to join R12 and was wondering if anybody has been brave enough to try the Freeze R12 that supposedly can work in both R12 and R134a systems. I have learned in my old age to ask the experienced before jumping out to the bleeding edge of new products, so I am!

Anybody really use this stuff? Would you put in a car that came with R134a?
It sure seems "affordable"?
Thanks,
Scott
Lowell has covered it. I used to fit and service auto air. R134a was considered by many to be a temporary replacement to R12 until something better came along. Sure, a system with R134a runs a higher pressure and a degree or to less cool but it is THE industry replacement for R12. If you use something different you will create problems (and expense) for yourself in the long run. There are now too many variants on the market and they never should have been let loose by the authorities. Still why let competition stand in the way of a major **** up!!