PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Question

e34it
04-21-2005, 01:30 AM
Can you reuse the old clutch plate with a new clutch disc, the plate seems to be ok, and so does the throw out bearing.....just pinging....any ideas?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Can you reuse the old clutch plate with a new clutch disc, the plate seems to be ok, and so does the throw out bearing.....just pinging....any ideas?

IMHO, if I'd gone to all the trouble of taking out the tranny, I'd replace everything:

Rear main seal
Pilot bearing
Trans input seal
Clutch disc
Pressure plate
T-out bearing
Check release arm for wear
Re-surface flywheel (new bolts too)

Cost/effort to do it twice definitely not worth it compared to buying the parts to do it right the first time.

Anthony

632 Regal
04-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Clutches can normally lasy over 100k sooo... want to do it again for a throwout bearing or something else? Id replace it all.

epj3
04-21-2005, 02:04 PM
Clutches can normally lasy over 100k sooo... want to do it again for a throwout bearing or something else? Id replace it all.
I agree, and bmw's throwout bearings aren't the best thing on these cars. My TOB failed on my E30 (though...that WAS at 176k miles on the original clutch) but I have heard of premature failures.

zuzuk212
04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
I just recently did mine when I had to drop the trans and prior to that I did my Z31 ... I could have saved $$ on the Z by just replacing the disc and bearings, even though the disc I took out was worn down to the rivets, the pressure plate surface was fine. With the E I couldn't find the parts separate cheaper than a kit ... so I went with the kit then said screw it and went with a light weight fly as well ... so much for saving $$. :p

peks
04-21-2005, 11:11 PM
do it all. you wont save that much money and youll be if you have to go in there again. sachs kit is less than 250 from bma. do it right.

peks
04-21-2005, 11:14 PM
oops insert whatever you want in there.. pissed..
youll be ?? if you have to go in there again.

e34it
04-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Ok, i prob will do that