PDA

View Full Version : Cup holders for aussies - does anyone want one?

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 01:24 AM
I'm going to get one and maybe both. Going on from this thread;

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=11080

I have received emails back from Herb Barnard and Mike, respecitves reps from both companies.

This is what Herb had to say;

Hello,
I've had a chance to get a quote on a 3 pack of cupholders. The rates
are as follows: I assume all US$

3-pack
4-6 weeks $21.50 $7.17 each
4-10 days $23.25 $7.75 each
4-6 days $19.00 $6.33 each Global Priority Mail -
Don't know if this is a viable option

The price for a 3-pack of cupholders is $27.00 each plus the method of
shipping you choose from above.

I hope this works for you.

Herb

The second one is from from ultimate cup holders.
http://www.ultimatecupholders.com/ucii.html

That's a quick-and-dirty page that shows a new version that I've not yet made generally available. Basically the same idea as the original versions, but uses a different mounting approach. I've had quite a few people use them in various versions of the E34s at this point and they all seem happy. I've added them to the order form under models as UCII. No color selection for these - they're all brushed stainless with black rubber trim.

Shipping to Australia is $11 US via Global Priority Mail or $10 US via Air Mail. Estimated time in transit is 4 - 7 days, but that varies some depending on how fast things move and how long they may be held up in customs.

Thanks, appreciate your interest. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help.

Their website lists them at US$25 for one or US$45 for two. I'm in Sydney, so there shouldn't be any hassles shipping around Australia. Does anyone else want one?

shogun
04-21-2005, 01:36 AM
I got yesterday the same prices in 3-pack sets packages for Japan plus shipping to Japan.
Discussed that last Saturday on the E32 Club Japan meeting.
I will place an order for Japan end of this week.
Buy Now price on Ebay is US $ 29.95
http://i2.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/cd/16/1e_1_b.JPG
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968616457&category=33695&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 01:48 AM
cool. Your help is always greatly appreciated Shogun.

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Shogun, do you know if they make RHD versions, or will I just have to live with the second holder being right next to my leg. Will my leg hit a holder with a drink in it? The LHD version had the second holder on the other side of the trans stick to where he is sitting.

shogun
04-21-2005, 02:08 AM
I think they only make left hand drive versions. In one of my first email-exchanges he told me that he got some inquiries from Taiwan, but that seems to be all from overseas.
I guess it will be too expensive to make a new form for RHD.
But you can ask him.
The older BMW here are LHD, newer ones RHD. For the E34 and E32 we have both. So there might be also a market here for RHD. But the qty might not be enough to build a new form and to get a price which is acceptable in the market.
Buy some and advertise on the Australian Ebay or whatever you have there as auction house. Here Yahoo and Rakuten auctions are bigger than local Ebay.

Paul in NZ
04-21-2005, 02:23 AM
nonononononononononononononononononononononn no kris no

BigKriss
04-21-2005, 10:14 AM
why paul, why?

uscharalph
04-21-2005, 03:05 PM
I think I'm going for the 1st one. I like the little tray. He quoted me the same price for the 3-pack of $94.00 shipped or $31.33 a piece.

uscharalph
04-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Actually that $13.00 shipping charge was for something else. He hasn't given me that yet. But the tray were $27.00 each in a 3 pack.

Paul in NZ
04-22-2005, 05:43 AM
if i need a drink in the car i just take a bicycle drink bottle and lay it down in the console.........coffee and my bmw interior=shudder.One of the few places the car shows its real age huh,very little storage...
You go for it mate.....

Nick.Hay
04-23-2005, 04:52 AM
I may be interested in one... maybe 2 (one for the old man's 525i).

I wonder if RHD drivers will bump to cupholder???

BigKriss
04-23-2005, 11:04 AM
I may be interested in one... maybe 2 (one for the old man's 525i).

I wonder if RHD drivers will bump to cupholder???

Thats okay, give me about one more week to get some feedback from other aussies. I don't know if the you legs will bump the cup holder - I like the ideay of the little tray in it also. Did you want the ultimate cup holder or the other?

shogun
04-26-2005, 09:32 AM
I ordered 3 now to show the guys here on the E32 club. Herb just confirmed receipt of money and he promised to send out today/tomorrow their time.
Takes 8-12 days with the cheapest shipping of USPS. Total for 3 incl. shipping to Japan is US $ 100,-.
Will also try to make pics on RHD car. But I am on business trip to Europe from mid next week till mid May. So probably Kriss will have them by then also and can make pics of it on a RHD car.

BigKriss
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
So probably Kriss will have them by then also and can make pics of it on a RHD car.

Greatly appreciated Shogun.

shogun
04-30-2005, 05:07 AM
3 cupholder arrived today. Shipped from New Jersey USA on April 26 according to the sticker of the US postal service and arrived here on April 30.
Total weight for 3 in a box is 1.100 Gramms, dimensions 35x30x11.5 cms, net weight of one without packing is 270 Gramms.
Fits quite tight in the console, have to push, but that ensures that is will not slip, no need to add the small adhesive strip which is coming with the cupholder and the instruction manual US style =Thank you for purchasing the cupholder. This product was designed specifically to in BMW Models E32 (7 series 1988 thru 1994) and E34 (5 series 1988 thru 1996). This will not fit on cats that ate equipped with the ASC (traction control) option.
The console of your car is free standing and will expand and contract, based on the ambient temperature. We have made accommodations for this in design. In addition, we have included a self-sticking rubber spacer. If needed, the spacer should be replaced along the outside edge of the cupholder at the passenger side. It should be located at the approx. middle of the side wall, which comes in contact with the console. This will assist in keeping the cupholder firmly in place.
Comment from my side/shogun: as mentioned it fits very tight, but my console has leather , whereas others might have vynil or other plastic, which might be not that thick)
While the product fits the design of the automobil, it does not fit all container sizes. If cups do not come to rest on the console when they are inserted into the cupholder, tipping may occur and they should not be used. The cupholder should be used oly to hold those containers, which have straight or slightly tapered sides. Containers which bulge out, may cause interference between the cup and the hand when shifting the car into Park. For that reason, these cupholders should not be used.
If your hand comes into contatct with the cup when shifting, it is imperative that the diver viually inspects that the car has been shifted to the intended gear.
Failure to do so, .....

BigKriss
04-30-2005, 05:38 AM
thanks for the extensive reply mate. :)

3 cupholder arrived today. Shipped from New Jersey USA on April 26 according to the sticker of the US postal service and arrived here on April 30.
Total weight for 3 in a box is 1.100 Gramms, dimensions 35x30x11.5 cms, net weight of one without packing is 270 Gramms.
Fits quite tight in the console, have to push, but that ensures that is will not slip, no need to add the small adhesive strip which is coming with the cupholder and the instruction manual US style =Thank you for purchasing the cupholder. This product was designed specifically to in BMW Models E32 (7 series 1988 thru 1994) and E34 (5 series 1988 thru 1996). This will not fit on cats that ate equipped with the ASC (traction control) option.
The console of your car is free standing and will expand and contract, based on the ambient temperature. We have made accommodations for this in design. In addition, we have included a self-sticking rubber spacer. If needed, the spacer should be replaced along the outside edge of the cupholder at the passenger side. It should be located at the approx. middle of the side wall, which comes in contact with the console. This will assist in keeping the cupholder firmly in place.
Comment from my side/shogun: as mentioned it fits very tight, but my console has leather , whereas others might have vynil or other plastic, which might be not that thick)
While the product fits the design of the automobil, it does not fit all container sizes. If cups do not come to rest on the console when they are inserted into the cupholder, tipping may occur and they should not be used. The cupholder should be used oly to hold those containers, which have straight or slightly tapered sides. Containers which bulge out, may cause interference between the cup and the hand when shifting the car into Park. For that reason, these cupholders should not be used.
If your hand comes into contatct with the cup when shifting, it is imperative that the diver viually inspects that the car has been shifted to the intended gear.
Failure to do so, .....

shogun
04-30-2005, 12:15 PM
Kriss:
first complain from my wife :(
If there is a can in the driver's side cupholder, she cannot open the ashtray :p
Another thing came to my mind to consider: The holder on pass side is a bit more back to the seats direction. Does not disturb on automatic trans car, but has to be checked on a manual 5 or 6 speed car if one does not touch the bottle then when shifting.

Nick.Hay
05-01-2005, 03:01 AM
I think I will stick with the centre console type... :)

shogun
05-13-2005, 07:36 AM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/hairywithit/original/shogun%20cup%20holder2.JPG
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/hairywithit/original/shogun%20cup%20holder1.JPG