PDA

View Full Version : m60 valve cover paint??

PhilipJCaputo
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
here is a picture of my valve cover with all the things (can't think of what they are called) removed... I'm going to do valve cover gaskets sometime soon, and probbaly the bolt gasket things too....

but my question is, do you see all that crappy paint that is peeling off?? what should I use to repaint it??

and in the process should I just sand down what loose flakes i can and put new paint over what I can't sand off? (by the time I do this my buddy may have a power washer, and I'm sure that'd make quick work of the busted paint)

suggestions on color??

http://www.nickwalton.com/photos/valvecover.jpg

Tiger
04-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi temp spray paint... available at Home Depot... I'd suggest you use wire brush to get rid of rust... some navel jelly if necessary. Primer is excellent but read label first.

PhilipJCaputo
04-20-2005, 11:47 PM
yeah.... wire brush!! didn't think of that...

probably faster than sand paper too!

PhilipJCaputo
04-21-2005, 12:13 AM
Haha... I just ran across my first post (even before I was a registered member)

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=4157

it looks like the valve cover gaskets were done at 60 some thou.... and its now 70 thou later, looks like they are right on schedule to be replaced!

callen
04-21-2005, 10:00 AM
won't be any rust...

the metal on my 530i is slowly deteriorating...just flaking away...did sand and paint with high temp paint purchased at Auto Part store. Used he temp primer as well...be sure to read instructions as you may have to let the primer dry a few days before you spray top coat.

PhilipJCaputo
04-21-2005, 10:52 AM
won't be any rust...

the metal on my 530i is slowly deteriorating...just flaking away...did sand and paint with high temp paint purchased at Auto Part store. Used he temp primer as well...be sure to read instructions as you may have to let the primer dry a few days before you spray top coat.
Dry for a few days!?!?!?!

maybe I'll just skip the primer, I don't have that kind of patience