PDA

View Full Version : engine mount replacement costs

wmann
04-20-2005, 09:28 PM
How big a deal is it to replace the engine mounts in a 1995 540i and what should it cost to have it done? Thanks! Bill

epj3
04-20-2005, 09:46 PM
I don't know about the 540i, but it took me like 45 minutes to do it myself on my e30 - e34 looks even easier.

Kalevera
04-20-2005, 09:49 PM
Pretty easy -- the parts are the most expensive thing about it. You could do it in your driveway with a jack and two stands (or two ramps) in about 20 minutes max. The process is: 1) loosen the bolts securing the old ones, 2) lift the engine slightly to remove the old ones (use the jack on the oil pan with a piece of wood on the lift plate, or an engine hoist), 3) install new mounts, lower engine and tighten.

A mechanic will probably make ya bleed money over it, though. Just seems like something they'd do -- "Engine mounts?!!! You want to replace them?!?....oh....ah dunno"

best, whit

ryan roopnarine
04-20-2005, 10:13 PM
apparently, its some rough sh*t to replace the v8 motor mounts, have you checked bruno's site yet? it might cost you a bit if you wanted a mechanic to do it.

infinity5
04-20-2005, 10:37 PM
its pretty easy like they say on the straight sixes but not he V8s. search the forums as there was a nice big write up about it some time ago. be prepared to have, literally, several feet of expensions and lots of flexible joints. i belive you have to remove the brake resivor and set it to the side for access as well. i'll being doing it soon so i'll tell you how it went.

wengenstein
04-21-2005, 12:08 AM
I just payed $398 (total) to get both mine done.. ('95 540i)

How big a deal is it to replace the engine mounts in a 1995 540i and what should it cost to have it done? Thanks! Bill

Kalevera
04-21-2005, 12:39 AM
...damn!

uberhahn
04-21-2005, 07:53 AM
I was quoted nearly $700 by the stealer to replace both. Luckily, they misdiagnosed my vibration problem. Needless to say, they didn't get my money.

As I understand, there is the "right" way to do it, and the "let's see if I can get it done" way.

The right way involves considerable dis-assembly (only on one side, driver I believe). The other way involves long socket extensions from the top of the engine compartment to get to one bolt on the mount.

I wouldn't do it myself, as mine is a daily driver, and I could not afford the downtime. I'm assuming that since I have two left hands, it would take me a while to do.

-uberhahn

myblack540i
04-21-2005, 08:17 AM
I paid $1440 to have engine mounts, tranny mounts, flex disc, and new drive shaft installed.

The engine mounts were $90 bucks each. The mechanic did say that getting them replaced was a b*tch.

Someone mentioned vibration. I had vibration from 5-20 mph. Flex disc was cracked, drive shaft was binding at rear u-joint, tranny mounts were shot, which put added stresses on engine mounts and blew one of those out. 155,000 miles is a lot of miles on the driveline so I replaced all at the same time or else would've had to do it again anyway.

Amazing difference in drive.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Come on over to my place and I'll do it for a case of Heineken

myblack540i
04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
lol - Getting to your place might be big $$$$$$$$. But I'll drink a case of Heiny's think tropical anyway. ;)