PDA

View Full Version : Update on 92, 525i last summer!!!

Saleswman525
04-20-2005, 05:53 PM
Hello guys....I am sure many of you will not remember me....but for the few that do, I wanted to update you on my 525i. I am the gal that bought the car that had been sitting for 6 mos, with the trans-code lighting up....car would not run, only turn over....tried everything I could think of and came to the board for advice.....well, tried all of your suggestions too....up until a member recommended Harrison Motor Sports in Atlanta.....well, much to the pain in my pocketbook, (unemployed) during all of this mess, I took her over there while I relocated to Nashville.....they worked on her for a while, recommending a new ECU, injectors and two time gas and oil change......at a cost of 600 bucks...!!! yeowwwwwwww!!!

But, I picked her up last weekend and risked driving her home to Nashville......she made it fine and is sitting nicely in my drive way...
I am so thrilled......she sat for a long time in my atlanta drive way with people wanting to buy her......but I just could not do it.....I had to get her running and my gut said it was NOT the transmission....and low and behold it was NOT the tranny.

Ok....so thank everyone that suggested things to try, and especially to my good friend Ramon.....he not only helps with my bmw....he helps with my career change and listens to me complain......He is a good friend......

Ok on to my new issue......I need a code to make my radio run....please don't tell me to take it to the dealer......I have noooooo money...haha.....nope still have not gotten a job! LOL, Hey maybe I could go sell BMW's for a living....I sure as heck know more than a typical sales person....ha ha ha...

Thanks everyone....and if anyone can tell me what to try to get my radio to work.....for free please.....Its a 92 525, manuf date is early 92.

See ya!

Robin-535im
04-20-2005, 06:14 PM
Sometimes it's written in the car's manual or on a slip of paper in the tool kit or glove box. Should be a 4-digit code, IIRC.

If it's not there, you should be able to get the code (for free) from the dealer if you bring in the VIN and/or the ID number on the back of the stereo. You might call the dealer first and see if the VIN alone is sufficient to save you the work of pulling the radio.

If you do have to pull it, all you need is a tiny little allen wrench to loosen the catches on the sides of the radio. A Bentley manual (if you have one) would probably have a picture, or someone else here might have one to post.

Glad to hear you kept the car, and that it's treating you well.

Best of luck,

Robin

Saleswman525
04-20-2005, 06:24 PM
Sometimes it's written in the car's manual or on a slip of paper in the tool kit or glove box. Should be a 4-digit code, IIRC.

If it's not there, you should be able to get the code (for free) from the dealer if you bring in the VIN and/or the ID number on the back of the stereo. You might call the dealer first and see if the VIN alone is sufficient to save you the work of pulling the radio.

If you do have to pull it, all you need is a tiny little allen wrench to loosen the catches on the sides of the radio. A Bentley manual (if you have one) would probably have a picture, or someone else here might have one to post.

Glad to hear you kept the car, and that it's treating you well.

Best of luck,

Robin

Well, board member recommeded Rassmusen BMW in Oregon, Yes, I called from Nashville......member said if I had the VIN. well that did not work....and of course he told me to bring it in to remove the radio for the serial number......darn it......I refuse to be defeated.....I will try something else....or someone more interested in me and not making money....LOL

Robin-535im
04-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Pulling it out is easy if you have a tiny little allen wrench. I don't recall the size, but I think someone was posting about it recently. Try this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10101

Looks like a 2mm allen might work... You might have to buy the tool from the store if you don't have any tools or neighbors with tools, but it will be under $10 for sure.

Maybe you can drive into the nearest BMW dealership and tell them you're applying for a job as a salesperson, and maybe you could go talk to the mechanics, and maybe just maybe they would let you use their 5-sided stereo removal tool?

:)

HTH,
- Robin

ryan roopnarine
04-20-2005, 06:56 PM
hey there...goood to hear its werking....

my 92 525i always had the 5 digit code written in black sharpie marker in the toolkit. i always thought that perhaps my toolkit was from a junkyard...until i put two and two together and realised that the "salvage yard " looking number was, logically the code to my radio.

Saleswman525
04-20-2005, 07:18 PM
hey there...goood to hear its werking....

my 92 525i always had the 5 digit code written in black sharpie marker in the toolkit. i always thought that perhaps my toolkit was from a junkyard...until i put two and two together and realised that the "salvage yard " looking number was, logically the code to my radio.

Ryan, Nice to hear from you.....I just got off the phone with Bmw in Dallas, as that is where I thought car was bought before I got it.......man the guy in service was about rude....you would of thought I was a damn convict.....like I want a dang 92 bmw if I am going to steal a car......shoot I would gofor a 2005 if I was the kind of person he implied I was.....If I lived in Dallas, I sure as heck would not use their dealership to service my car.......

ANyway....still no code.... :(

uscharalph
04-20-2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Mine came out with the 2mm hex.

Saleswman525
04-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Pulling it out is easy if you have a tiny little allen wrench. I don't recall the size, but I think someone was posting about it recently. Try this:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10101

Looks like a 2mm allen might work... You might have to buy the tool from the store if you don't have any tools or neighbors with tools, but it will be under $10 for sure.

Maybe you can drive into the nearest BMW dealership and tell them you're applying for a job as a salesperson, and maybe you could go talk to the mechanics, and maybe just maybe they would let you use their 5-sided stereo removal tool?

:)

HTH,
- Robin
Ha ha ha...robin, after talking with the hateful guy in Dallas BMW.,.....I don't want to be in that line of work.....

:(

Alan_525i
04-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't like when people recommend using a hex key for removing the radio without mentioning that doing so if you aren't careful can strip the screw head. Yes, I know many people do it this way. The screw heads take a special torx type bit (that you can get at most hardware stores in a small kit). Right tool for the right job. I'm not trying to start anything with anyone here, I just think its important to know this before going in.

ryan roopnarine
04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
glad to hear that somebody warned you about the allen stripping it.....they wanted me to physically bring the radio into the dealership, they werent jerks about it. however, after telling them that the harness would break off if i took it off, they gave me the code using the serial number on the back of the radio.

Kalevera
04-20-2005, 09:44 PM
All of these people have given you great advice...but I have to throw in my two cents: $600 for an ecu, injectors, and whatever else?! That's a pretty damn good deal. New injectors normally cost in the area of $200, and an ECU?! yeah...Getting Fritz back on the road has cost me about $5000 thusfar, and I do about 90% of the work. That's what sitting for 2 years and stupid previous owners do to these cars.

In terms of the hex key - go to wal*mark and have a look in their automotive/tools section. They sell a hex key set that will do the trick for < $3 (actually, IIRC, it's about 88 cents). Be firm when you loosen the two screws holding it in. It will probably start to beep at you if the battery isn't disconnected (anti-theft)...just keep on going.

best, whit

Saleswman525
04-22-2005, 07:20 PM
All of these people have given you great advice...but I have to throw in my two cents: $600 for an ecu, injectors, and whatever else?! That's a pretty damn good deal. New injectors normally cost in the area of $200, and an ECU?! yeah...Getting Fritz back on the road has cost me about $5000 thusfar, and I do about 90% of the work. That's what sitting for 2 years and stupid previous owners do to these cars.

In terms of the hex key - go to wal*mark and have a look in their automotive/tools section. They sell a hex key set that will do the trick for < $3 (actually, IIRC, it's about 88 cents). Be firm when you loosen the two screws holding it in. It will probably start to beep at you if the battery isn't disconnected (anti-theft)...just keep on going.

best, whit

Whit,

Well, I agree if it was 600 for all of that I would be crazy to complain......but what I failed to tell you was.......

1. I provided the ECU at my cost....they did not...
2. They changed two injectors....not all 6....so sorry if I misled you...

They did the oil changes, new gas, 2 injectors.....thats it.....so rest assured....I paid for the rest.....

But, I can say this....they were nice fellas to deal with and would not hesitate recommending them......I guess I was not as educated on the repair rates on BMW's. Esp since I still have a check engine light on.....

Saleswman525
04-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Hello....radio up and running....found the original envelope with the radio documentation in glove box, but no code......so I called the dealership after looking at the back of the envelope...low and behold serial number was glued on there......so I did not have to remove radio...\\YEHAHHHHH

OK...NEXT question....can I refill the air conditioning stuff that is R12? by myself or do I need to take it somewhere......

thx

Kalevera
04-22-2005, 07:30 PM
That's true....You're in Atlanta, right? Who did you take the car to again? In the future, you might take it to Bobby over at Strictly German (if the car hasn't been going there already). Between his parts yards in NC & GA, he's got a lot of stuff.

Did you do the stomp test to determine what check engine code you've got? If not...do it and post it up on the board.

best, whit

Kalevera
04-22-2005, 07:37 PM
No, you should take it somewhere and save yourself the potential headaches....We talked about this yesterday -- have a look through the old threads.

Also, if it's not currently cold, and hasn't been cold for as long as you've had the car, chances are there's a leak, and you'll probably be facing the dilemma that I'm in: when these systems aren't pressurized for a period of time, re-pressurizing them tends to cause a domino effect. You replace the leaking part, then the next piece down the line fails and you have to replace that...and on and on. So the only way to get a reliable A/C system on a car that hasn't had a working one in a while is to replace everything (condensor, evaporator, compressor..and of course the receiver/dryer)...which adds up to ~ $2000+ (if you have a mechanic do it).

Now, my plan is to see how bad the heat gets...if things get tough, I'll replace the components myself (< $500 in parts) and then have the system pressurized and filled by a mechanic.

Once again, I'll recommend Brett's excellent article: http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

Best, whit