PDA

View Full Version : got out of the car and it locked it's self???

RIPN RAY
04-20-2005, 11:00 AM
not sure what happened but i'm afraid to leave my keys in the car now.

basically i was playing around with the OBC (with a broken screen), got out of the car and it locked it's self. luckly for me the sunroof was slanted up and i could reach in with a yard stick with a hook on it and grabbed them:D

any idea why this happened?

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
04-20-2005, 11:14 AM
I had this happen once. The trunk lock actuator was not properly aligned and vibration from closing the trunk lid or slamming a door would trip it to activate. I was able to diagnose by turning the lock with the key and noting it actuated the lock very close to vertical and quite far from vertical to un-lock. I just re-centered the lock actuator so the key rotation before actuation was equal in both directions. The mounting screws were a bit loose so it had moved over by itself.

Another possibility is a broken wire in the trunk harness shorting to the lock circuit.

HTH,
Anthony

Badkrma
04-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I think that the car has a mind of it's own and you should sell it because it is an evil mind...........;-)

RIPN RAY
04-25-2005, 09:54 PM
bump....think this has anything todo with the "code" button being pressed. i don't think the "code" feature was activated because it started right up...

...also i already repaired the wires on the trunk hinge.

Paul in NZ
04-26-2005, 03:19 AM
the drivers side actuator or door mechanism is sticky....look for my thread on unlock lock (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10969),i didnt get a chance to have a look this weekend

Javier
04-26-2005, 08:11 AM
It's almost impossible to know what happened, one occurrence, is very hard to sentence. Observe the car behavior for a wile to see what happens.

Javier