PDA

View Full Version : oil on m50 plugs, valve cover gasket right?

RIPN RAY
04-20-2005, 10:54 AM
had some hesitation and found oil on 4 of the 6 plugs. cleaned them and it runs better.

i'm not too familiar with this engine yet, so i just want to make sure that it's the vavle cover gasket.

Russell
04-20-2005, 11:48 AM
I have heard that oil on the plugs can cause the coils to fail and possibly affect/damage the ECU I would replace the valve cover gasket asap. Just my opinion.

had some hesitation and found oil on 4 of the 6 plugs. cleaned them and it runs better.

i'm not too familiar with this engine yet, so i just want to make sure that it's the vavle cover gasket.

MTRIPLE
04-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Yup, most likely the inner gasket around the plugs. Easy fix...

myblack540i
04-21-2005, 08:51 AM
I just replaced my valve cover gaskets last Friday. I did both sides in <2 hrs. The passenger side was kind of difficult due to A/C lines in the way of getting the valve cover out completely. I was able to snake the old gaskets out and get the new ones in without taking the valve cover out. You must be patient and cautious to be certain that the new gasket gets seated properly on that side, but it can be done.

Qsilver7
04-21-2005, 09:11 AM

...well, I'm still right in the middle of it since I dropped one of the cap nuts that secures the cover and lost it to the "twilight zone"...had to order one from the stealer (which should be in today!).

The gaskets come in a set (see #3 in diagram...make sure you get the correct one if you have VANOS): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=11_1283&hg=11&fg=15

I discovered oil in cylinders 1-2-3 when I was putting in new spark plugs.

melteezin
05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Can someone explain to me a bit more about this problem of oil on plug?
Valve cover gasket was replaced after putting new cam in. How does gasket
failure get oil on plugs? How does this affect ECU? My rev limit has changed
since too. It randomly cuts at about 5500 now. Need new ECU? Help!

Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
05-04-2005, 10:02 AM

You have the M20 motor. The M50 motors have 4 valves per cyilinder and coil on plug ingnition. When the valve gasket leaks, oil gets into the spark plub wells and shorts out the coils.

HTH,
Anthony

Jon K
05-04-2005, 02:08 PM

The oil seeps up from the cam channels and sprayer bar. It then goes down inside the spark plug holes... and puddles up around the spark plugs, fouling them and the COIL PACKS. Not the ECU, the ECU isn't really effected. The coil packs however, at $90/ea (cheapest usually, new) can be ruined.