PDA

View Full Version : laptop holder pics

ukm5
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
i was tired of small satellite navigation screens, so welded up a laptop holder!
its removable too
http://www.netmgr.co.uk/imgallery/photos/laptop/100_4894.jpg

infinity5
04-19-2005, 08:59 PM
ooooooo whats the keypad for near the shifter? and by the way, very awesome.. if i had a laptop and wireless internet that could be used in any location i;d do that.

ukm5
04-19-2005, 09:04 PM
ooooooo whats the keypad for near the shifter? and by the way, very awesome.. if i had a laptop and wireless internet that could be used in any location i;d do that.

the keypad is to control the smaller screen which is connected to a pc in the boot then through an amp to play mp3s

DanDombrowski
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
How do you shift and use that stupid little eraser button mouse thing? Man I hated those. Tray looks cool though! What kind of software do you use on the PC in the trunk that you can control the MP3 player with just the keypad?

epj3
04-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Holy distraction batman! At least it's a COOL distraction :-)

casurfer911
04-20-2005, 02:59 AM
are the sound outputs on the computer directly plugged into the stock amp?

ukm5
04-20-2005, 09:20 AM
are the sound outputs on the computer directly plugged into the stock amp?

they are plugged directly into an aftermarket amp, mine wasnt fitted with a stock one

ukm5
04-20-2005, 09:22 AM
'SHIFT' i presume u mean change gear....its nowhere near the stick if you look. its not a problem

DanDombrowski
04-20-2005, 09:29 AM
But you only have 2 hands! And the other one is using the cell phone, right?

Jeanfb
04-25-2005, 04:56 PM
How is it attached to the floor/seat rails? I need details if you don't mind, I need to build one as well...Thanks a million.

ukm5
04-25-2005, 05:12 PM
How is it attached to the floor/seat rails? I need details if you don't mind, I need to build one as well...Thanks a million.

its quite easy, perhaps a little crude, but it works and i find having a laptop in the car with navigation on worth the rather aggressive iron work!

its bolted to the floor, i took up the carpet, well partially as to remove competly is hard work - i welded a steel pin about 1 inch diameter and about 6 inch high to a square plate, make the plate as small as possible as the floor isnt flat for more than a few inches in any one place and therre are lots of obstacles like brake lines under the car. then i pushed the pin through the carpet so all you see after the carpet goes back down is the pin. the plate is bolted through the chassis and a plate of equal size placed on the underside of the chassis and bolted together
the holder is basically a piece of bended aluminum tube with an internal diamete to fit over the pin snuggly, as i say about 1 inch diameter. then a flat plate fasten to the top for the laptop to site on. if u look in the pic i have also attached springy steel clips to the side to stop it falling off when braking.

as i say its a little crude - the holder itself can be simply lifted off and placed in the house and all you see if u look is the pin
just bear in mind the position of the seat, dont make the pin so high as to restrict the seat moving forwards. i have made it so the seat can move fully forward when the holder is not in position as the seat just clears the pin however when using the holder i move the seat back to allow a clear vertical connection to the pin

also add an r clip to the tube to stop it swivelling.

Jeanfb
04-25-2005, 05:24 PM
That is great thinking - but a little agressive for my taste - I don't plan on pulling the carpet - will investigate attaching to the seat rails...I might incorparate some (all) of the other details ( r-clip etc....) thanks again.

ukm5
04-25-2005, 05:34 PM
a laptop is heavy, im my opinion if u dont be aggressive it will flap about then just fall apart. the metal under the seat is by no means strong enough to support it. the rails have no positions u could attach to without affecting the movment of the seat. also how do you change the angle...the seat metal starts someway under the seat you would have to make a bracket to come out at right angles therefore loosing all strength

632 Regal
04-25-2005, 06:34 PM
That is absolutly awsome! Ill bet we see more of these in a short bit...and then on Ebay.

casurfer911
04-26-2005, 03:45 PM
you should pick up a black dvd-rom drive and get an adapter to run it via usb to your computer and slide it in the din slot! That would look nice!

ukm5
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
you should pick up a black dvd-rom drive and get an adapter to run it via usb to your computer and slide it in the din slot! That would look nice!

i never understood why anyone would want/need a dvd player in their car! whatd the point you really going to sit there and watch a 2 hour movie!
it purely for sat nav!