PDA

View Full Version : Rack and Pinion into e34 535i...

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking about finding a 318is system and attempting a swap.

Any documentation on this?

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Did a search and would like to spark up a new conversation...

Anyone know what will fit in the e34? I know someone has swapped in a VW rack, not sure if I want to go that far off base.

632 Regal
04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
It has been done, try a search and see if it comes up, might have been on the old board, not sure.

bahnstormer
04-19-2005, 10:54 AM
yeah someone put a fox or gti rack in, but it was around 3 grand
and that was only b/c he'd agreed on the price earlier...it'd cost
u around 5 prolly

JAlfredPrufrock
04-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I want to do the work myself, I might be doing a pretty large overhaul on my car this summer and this popped into my head.

MBXB
05-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Look up Cacatfish (Colin) under the 5 series board. He's done the conversion. It's well documented with pics and all.

callen
05-08-2005, 08:10 AM
WHy? Seems like a lot of work, effort and money for the benefit.....your signature said "No. Mods"......think there are a ton of things you could do instead...you'll always have problems with your retrofit..and I'm kinda glad my car doesn't have a rack...they leak!

SRR2
05-08-2005, 10:01 AM
All that, and I just don't understand why the preoccupation with making this particular change. The front end on my 535 is tight, the box is properly adjusted, and the steering is perfect. I have three other cars with R&P (including a 325 and Porsche) and frankly there is NO difference in steering performance due to the RB steering in the 535. IMO, this is a colossal waste of money.

JAlfredPrufrock
05-08-2005, 09:03 PM
All that, and I just don't understand why the preoccupation with making this particular change. The front end on my 535 is tight, the box is properly adjusted, and the steering is perfect. I have three other cars with R&P (including a 325 and Porsche) and frankly there is NO difference in steering performance due to the RB steering in the 535. IMO, this is a colossal waste of money.

It's just an idea that popped into my head.

Thanks for your opinion.

genphreak
05-09-2005, 07:16 AM
I completely agree with SRR2. I've no complaints about mine, its simple and reliable, feels great. How we could graft bits in and get a better result than BMW engineers have done with basic parts I do not know. Interesting sure, how anyone could say this is compelling enough to do I don't get... plus I am sure an insurance company would love to claim this to be an illegal modification should one have an accident and write off the car or kill someone...

:) GP

JAlfredPrufrock
05-09-2005, 02:43 PM
I completely agree with SRR2. I've no complaints about mine, its simple and reliable, feels great. How we could graft bits in and get a better result than BMW engineers have done with basic parts I do not know. Interesting sure, how anyone could say this is compelling enough to do I don't get... plus I am sure an insurance company would love to claim this to be an illegal modification should one have an accident and write off the car or kill someone...

:) GP

If the insurance company was able to figure out, I think they'd deserve to claim it.

dmenheere
05-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I don't think its a bad ideal ... save probably 50 lbs right off the bat when you combine the weight of the recirculating gearbox, the rod that follows the subframe and its link rod. The cost of replacing the gearbox alone would buy you a lot of parts at the junkyard.

I'm going to look at the steering rack out of a 2000+ Passat ... 14.3:1 ratio and 2.8 turns lock to lock and similar weight on the front end. Try to find a car that has been rear ended with low mileage and do lots of measuring. If it all goes wrong and your not happy just reinstall the originals.

I would love to find an electric rack but don't think one out of a civic or golf would handle the extra weight not to mention the electronics that go with it.

Just my .02 canadian,

Dave Menheere

PS: plenty of hot rods running around out there with cobbled together steering systems not to mention Factory Five Cobras