PDA

View Full Version : read your oxygene sensor-diagnosis

shogun
04-19-2005, 12:34 AM
I think I am gonna to replace my oxy sensors (2) on my car after 120K Km.
Have read this article on the page of oxygensensors.com under FAQ
https://www.oxygensensors.com/faq.php?

I have passed the emission test 6 months ago, but I guess I can reduce the fuel consumption and also even the smoothness of running much more.

How often should I change them?
Your vehicle manufacturer recommends a specific mileage at which your oxygen sensor(s) should be changed. However, contaminants in gas and certain atmospheric conditions can drastically shorten the life of any oxygen sensor, therefore they should be checked with every periodic maintenance and changed if necessary. Click here for a visual reference of oxygen sensor problems as well as diagnostic procedures.

Why should I change my oxygen sensors?
A new oxygen sensor can improve driveability and lengthen engine life. Ultimately, you achieve a smoother running engine that is more fuel efficient. Feedback from the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop control of the injected quantity of fuel for optimum air-fuel mixture...enabling virtually complete combustion to take place. By providing closed-loop control of the mixture, it becomes possible to use three-way catalytic converters to achieve the maximum reduction in exhaust gas emissions.

Here in Japan they cost more than double the price in US.

SRR2
04-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm no expert on O2 sensors, but there's a lot of opinion out there that in a properly-functioning engine/exhaust system, they can and do last the life of the car. The basic technology is extremely rugged as long as they don't suffer the external effects that your reference here mentions. Uncontaminated, the stories go, the sensor doesn't degrade, it either works or it doesn't.

I can see plenty of reasons for the 50,000 mile change recommendation: build dealer service business, sell more O2 sensors, enhance the driver experience in cases where they have degraded due to failure or neglect of something in the engine, and so on. There's little motivation for car manufacturers to do otherwise. So the cynic in me is going to postpone indefinitely the replacement of the O2 sensor in my 115000mile E34.

One additional datapoint: I just replaced the sensor in my wife's 152000 mile 325iX. I have extensive data on this car's performance and so far it has made NO difference in power, fuel consumption, or driveability. IOW, there was nothing at all wrong with the original sensor. Of course, this engine is in excellent condition with like-new compression, no leakage, and no oil consumption.

632 Regal
04-19-2005, 09:46 AM
mine have, according to the incomplete maintenance hystory NEVER been replaced...I thought about it once but then read someone (Bill R?) say that the new ones are only lasting about 20k so I'll skip this for a while.

Jose
04-19-2005, 09:51 AM
You' ll now when it' s broken. Usually when they go, the idle goes up and down, the exhuast smell gets really discusting . I had the same problem on my 92 coupe. The worst about it breaking down was that the fuel consumption went ballistic.

ivan
04-19-2005, 11:13 AM
Have read this article on the page of oxygensensors.com
http://www.oxygensensors.com/diagnose.jpg

I have passed the emission test 6 months ago, but I guess I can reduce the fuel consumption and also even the smoothness of running much more.

Your vehicle manufacturer recommends a specific mileage at which your oxygen sensor(s) should be changed. However, contaminants in gas and certain atmospheric conditions can drastically shorten the life of any oxygen sensor, therefore they should be checked with every periodic maintenance and changed if necessary. Click here for a visual reference of oxygen sensor problems as well as diagnostic procedures.

A new oxygen sensor can improve driveability and lengthen engine life. Ultimately, you achieve a smoother running engine that is more fuel efficient. Feedback from the oxygen sensor provides closed-loop control of the injected quantity of fuel for optimum air-fuel mixture...enabling virtually complete combustion to take place. By providing closed-loop control of the mixture, it becomes possible to use three-way catalytic converters to achieve the maximum reduction in exhaust gas emissions.

Anyone has experience with the Walker? They are cheaper than the Bosch.
Do not want to buy a universal one, prefer the one with the right plug

click to the offer (http://www.automedicsupply.com/catalog4.php?PHPSESSID=65ad6a3ae1867806a30032d83e3 a8eee)
Hi
Our 525 displays Check engine -- checking the error check codes we get a display 1221 -- and it continues to repeat the same code without stopping. We would like to reset the code to validate that the Oxy sensor is really the fault. ANy suggestions?

632 Regal
04-19-2005, 11:57 AM
just about any engine related problem can trip the oxy sensor code. vacume leaks, bad plugs etc. Make sure everything is good before you replace the O2 sensor just to have the same fault appear.

ivan
04-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again. :(

ivan
04-19-2005, 04:17 PM
Oxy sensor check code
Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-19-2005, 05:05 PM
I have gone through a handful of sensors of the years and have found that a few symptoms begin to show as a sensor fails.

Hesitation and sputtering when the motor is cold on acceleration, but will disappear once warmed up. The sensor is only able to read when it is hot, so it sends false readings when cold. (this is especially noticeable with O2 sensor with Pre-heaters)

Rising and falling RPM under a load. Driving up a grade or gentle hill you will notice that that RPM appears to be rising & falling @ 200 RPM. The sensor is failing to send consistent readings.

Bellicose Right Winger
04-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Disconnect battery for 30 minutes.

Paul Shovestul

Oxy sensor check code[/SIZE]
COLOR=Green]Thanks for the suggestions. The question is how to reset the Check Code, since my display cannot be reset, using the suggested proceedure of holding the gas pedal down for 10 sec. after the last error code display. My problem may be that the same error code (1221) keeps on repeating over and over again[/COLOR][/SIZE]

shogun
04-19-2005, 09:00 PM
As said above, disconnect the battery. BUT before you do that, note down radio code and other codes you need such as anti-theft device code and these gimmicks.
I suggest everybody to buy a PEAKE tool for about 150 $.
The money is paid back very quick, you can read fault codes, reset the codes, reset oil service, reset inspection intervals. It has helped me a lot to find faults much easier instead of tinkering around to find the fault.
http://www.peakeresearch.com

FWinNH
12-01-2005, 08:25 AM
As said above, disconnect the battery. BUT before you do that, note down radio code and other codes you need such as anti-theft device code and these gimmicks.
I suggest everybody to buy a PEAKE tool for about 150 $.
The money is paid back very quick, you can read fault codes, reset the codes, reset oil service, reset inspection intervals. It has helped me a lot to find faults much easier instead of tinkering around to find the fault.
http://www.peakeresearch.com

Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but nobody ever correctly answered the poster's question. He said that when he does the stomp test it continuously shows the 1221 code. That's because the instructions say that the ECU will cycle through the codes sequentially. I have personally found that this is not the case with my '94 E34. If I have a stored code it will just display the same code over and over until I do another 5-stomp, then it goes on to display the next code, which will also repeat ad infinitum until I do the Bristol stomp again. Eventually you reach the "1000" code, at which time you can do a 10 second long stomp to clear all codes.

Also, you do not have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. You can just disconnect the connector on the ECU itself and that way you will not lose your radio code or reset the (automatic) tranmission module. Of course if you want to reset everything at once the battery disconnect is the way to go.;)

Just thought this info may come in handy to someone else. Maybe it should be added to whatever stomp test archive is out there?

shogun
07-23-2008, 08:53 PM
Also, you do not have to disconnect the battery to reset the ECU. You can just disconnect the connector on the ECU itself and that way you will not lose your radio code or reset the (automatic) tranmission module.

Yes, Fred, that of course also works.

Never forget to delete/clear old faults from the ECU, otherwise you will always have the old fault shown. Ask me why I know ;-)

almost bought again new oxygen sensor, just because I forgot the clear old faults :)

shogun
11-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Dragging up an old thread. I tested last Saturday my 2 oxy sensors (one for each 6 cylinders) with the nice piece from Jaycar BigKriss sent me once: one is dead. After 3 years. DMM Volt indication does not move at all. The other one works fine Will replace it against a new one.

Here the Jaycar stuff
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/250490/
Mixture Display Kit For Fuel Injected Cars

Refer: Silicon Chip November 1995 This very simple kit will allow you to monitor the fuel mixtures being run by your car. This type of sensor is also known as an E.G.O. (exhaust, gas, oxygen) monitor. You can use it as a tuning tool, to help in vehicle modification or simply to see the behaviour of the engine control module. Indication is via 10 LEDs to show mixtures rich, lean and normal. The circuit connects to the EGO sensor mounted in the exhaust manifold and the cars battery. PCB, LEDs and components supplied.
CAT. NO. KC5195 Ozzy $ 14.95
http://www.jaycar.com.au/ShowLargephoto.asp?id=5713&IMAGE=

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5195&CATID=&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=yes&Keyword1=KC&Keyword2=KC&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID

Tiger
11-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Shogun, that light must be flashing like crazy when the car is running... is that so?

Rick L
11-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Most E34 models only have one oxygen sensor (V8 has 2), it doesn't cost much. Everyone always wait till they get that Check Engine light before changing it. But people don't realize that by changing oxygen sensor will also increase your fuel efficiency. So what I'm saying is that it will pay for itself... :) And another thing you will notice is the increase in power. At least every time I have changed the oxygen senor, I noticed increase in power! Well worth it!!! :D Newer cars have 4 of them... :(

Have read this article on the page of oxygensensors.com under FAQ
https://www.oxygensensors.com/faq.php?

genphreak
11-27-2008, 09:07 PM
mine have, according to the incomplete maintenance hystory NEVER been replaced...I thought about it once but then read someone (Bill R?) say that the new ones are only lasting about 20k so I'll skip this for a while.It sounds to me like they die for a reason, not wear n tear. Maybe when most people change them they've failed, and once the new one goes in it becomes subject to the same poor running exhaust and predicatbly craps out within 20k.

Other thing is they mustn't be dropped/shocked- they are pretty fragile. I wonder how many fall off shelves in their poxy little boxes and end up doing more harm than good...

shogun
11-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Shogun, that light must be flashing like crazy when the car is running... is that so?

The pic with the installed Jaycar unit in the cluster is not from my car, that I took from a German E30 forum.
I would go crazy to see all these lights flickering.
I have built the unit and have connected from an old oxy sensor a plug and the counter part from the other side which comes from the engine, so I connect the unit in between the original connectors and let engine run.
That is one possibility.
Then I have also some longer wires and have the unit just laying on the center console, and the wires go thru the door (closed of course) and into the engine room, and there I connected the unit to the oxy sensors on top of the plugs for the MOTRONIC. So you have to remove the cover from the plug to the MOTRNIC and then put the plug on top of the MOTRONIC anagin and them you have access to the pins while engine is running. In case of my -156 MOTRONIK the pins for oxy sensor is 10 and 28.
So I can test drive and see the whole time the unit. Not a permanent installation, just for test drives.
Of course a Voltmeter would do the same, but the lights are easier to recognize and I have to use the nice present from BigKriss :D

genphreak
11-27-2008, 09:38 PM
In case of my -156 MOTRONIK the pins for oxy sensor is 10 and 28. So I can test drive and see the whole time the unit. Not a permanent installation, just for test drives. Of course a Voltmeter would do the same, but the lights are easier to recognize and I have to use the nice present from BigKriss :D Kristian's a legend!

I also have this kit. Nice thing to do Kris.

I am sure it can be calibrated though (can't find the instructions) but I am sure it had a variable pot or you could use various resistor values on the inputs.

BTW, Jaycar also make a cheap CO tester kit... all you need to complete it is a spare (known good) oxy sensor to stick in your tailpipe.

shogun
11-28-2008, 03:07 AM
gimmy the link, man. I have spare oxy sensors. :)

Yes, we also calibrated the kit with a resistor.
Probably depends on each kit, which then has to be tested after you have soldered all the stuff together..

shogun
11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
pic of my new oxy sensor tester with the Jaycar unit
http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oxysensortesterbs3.png

shogun
12-24-2008, 09:27 PM
does someone have these plugs with short cable wires, most wanted is the plug from the engine to the oxy sensor, I want to produce some of these test units.

Also wanted are the 2 plugs (yellow) which go onto the old style servotronic module
http://www.bilder-speicher.de/08122500783541.gratis-foto-hosting-page.html
http://www.bilder-speicher.de/08122500617988.gratis-foto-hosting-page.html

http://www.bilder-speicher.de/08122500333417.gratis-foto-hosting-page.html
http://www.bilder-speicher.de/08122500376606.gratis-foto-hosting-page.html
http://www.bilder-speicher.de/08122500575441.gratis-foto-hosting-page.html

Jehu
12-24-2008, 11:26 PM
i'm No Expert On O2 Sensors, But There's A Lot Of Opinion Out There That In A Properly-functioning Engine/exhaust System, They Can And Do Last The Life Of The Car. The Basic Technology Is Extremely Rugged As Long As They Don't Suffer The External Effects That Your Reference Here Mentions. Uncontaminated, The Stories Go, The Sensor Doesn't Degrade, It Either Works Or It Doesn't.

I Can See Plenty Of Reasons For The 50,000 Mile Change Recommendation: Build Dealer Service Business, Sell More O2 Sensors, Enhance The Driver Experience In Cases Where They Have Degraded Due To Failure Or Neglect Of Something In The Engine, And So On. There's Little Motivation For Car Manufacturers To Do Otherwise. So The Cynic In Me Is Going To Postpone Indefinitely The Replacement Of The O2 Sensor In My 115000mile E34.

One Additional Datapoint: I Just Replaced The Sensor In My Wife's 152000 Mile 325ix. I Have Extensive Data On This Car's Performance And So Far It Has Made No Difference In Power, Fuel Consumption, Or Driveability. Iow, There Was Nothing At All Wrong With The Original Sensor. Of Course, This Engine Is In Excellent Condition With Like-new Compression, No Leakage, And No Oil Consumption.

Now You Tell Me!!!??? Lol

shogun
12-25-2008, 02:53 AM
well, I have changed one oxy sensor now again after 3 years because the test showd it was dead. No fluctuation of voltage at all. And I have tested the mielage now for a month, and I use less fuel.
Because if the sensor does not give a signal, the MOTRONIC automatically goes into a default , which is richer. Same is when you start the car, there is a default value used till the required temperature of the cat system is reached, only then the delivered data from the oxy sensor are processed.

shogun
12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
here our oxy sensor tester in action on a Alpina B12 750 E32
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=K8miz_1aHYw&feature=channel_page

philbyil
01-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Undo the 4 Philips screws holding the cover of your "Black Box" on the Pass side. Unclip the chrome latch of the main harness (nearest the firewall) then rotate the front section of the harness plug back and then slip it out towards you. Do this overnight and reconnect in the a.m.

This will clear all the codes. I get the check light on mine occasionally, usually when I add Techron to the tank.

Hi
Our 525 displays Check engine -- checking the error check codes we get a display 1221 -- and it continues to repeat the same code without stopping. We would like to reset the code to validate that the Oxy sensor is really the fault. ANy suggestions?