PDA

View Full Version : HID Bulb Funny Looking?

Qube
04-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Yes, that's a strange title, isn't it? :)

Does this look right? Everything was wonderful until one of the bulbs continued to turn off and refused to turn on until what seemed to be a ‘cool down’ period. I tried running the bulbs in and outside of the headlamp with the same issue. One of the bulbs (same one always) would go out after a while. It originally was about 15 minutes, then got progressively shorter. Now it would turn on, then turn itself off under 2 minutes. I would then need to wait about 5 minutes before the bulb would reignite.

I noticed something strange about it as well. There is a yellowish liquid inside the center of the bulb… but I deemed that normal because both have that. However, the suspect bulb center looks frosty and has a lot of that yellow fluid. The ok bulb has a bit of yellow fluid but is overall transparent.

Hmmm... this is indicative of a cheap, defective bulb? ;)

One thing I haven't tried... plugging this bulb into the other ballast/starter, but I thought I'd ping this forum for possible suggestions. Perhaps someone else has seen this.

rockyfeller
04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
may be a biaach but the only surefire way is to swap the bulbs/ballasts to find out what is suspect.

Paul in NZ
04-19-2005, 04:37 AM
it is posible that it is the lkm?????,how hard to try a normal bulb or as you say switch bulbs....

Jon K
04-19-2005, 08:41 AM
it is posible that it is the lkm?????,how hard to try a normal bulb or as you say switch bulbs....

Could be a bad solder point in the LKM MAYBE... but it is more likely the bulb or ballast.

I have phillips bulbs/ballasts there is no liquid in the capsule...

check here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Qube
04-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I've done some more narrowing down and it's either the wiring to the ballast or the ballast itself...

BTW Thanks for the forum suggestion!

Qube
04-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Well it's the Ballast. I ran a parallel voltmeter and during the entire time, the harness was supplying 11.8v up and through the point of failure. I've contacted Kaixen of Korea and they are having me ship the ballast back at THEIR cost and will send a replacement. There is a 14 month warranty :) Awesome folks (so far)!

632 Regal
04-23-2005, 08:31 PM
awsome yes...what do you do in the meantime without headlights?

Paul in NZ
04-24-2005, 06:22 AM
if it is decent kit he wll just put the standard bulbs back in!